• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Question for my beloved Panther fan friends

Hawk

I would really like to see Cam get rid of the ball quicker to avoid the big hits in the pocket.  Those unexpected 'in the pocket hits' take a toll on any QB.  Many times last year Cam was running for his life and/or getting hit because either nobody was open or the o-line was missed an assignment.  Now that we have new/young/better/faster WR's, my hope is they will separate sooner and Cam will develop a quicker release before 'the pocket collapses'. 

​Pot vs. kettle? Was going to say the same about your O-Line without Unger. Gotta go with Cam btw. We have speed WR to stretch the field now, unlike last year. Cam and Ginn hooked up for some long TDs 2 years ago, and I see it happening again.

​I don't really think Unger is a huge loss to be honest.  He was a good blocker and all but he missed half the season with injuries.

​Cam played 3 years with his ankle not being 100%, but it was hurt to the point of needing surgery in the 2013 season. As far as the ribs, I remember the play as Cam getting tackled from behind around where his right tackle was and a Patriot hitting him in the ribs when he was down or very close to being down.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000383151/article/panthers-cam-newton-has-hairline-fracture-in-ribs

At about 50 seconds in the video they show the play where it happened. Cam scrambled and just rolled over in front of a Patriot who got him with a knee. 

Only thing I ask of can is to develop a little better touch on his passes that all. Accuracy will get better over time.

I agree, but funny you should say that.

I was watching highlights of Super Bowl XXIV on the NFL Network this afternoon.  This was in 1990, so it was the Super Bowl after the 1989 season.

John Elway had been in the league for 7 years.

He was TERRIBLE.  He overthrew receivers.  He underthrew receivers.  He didn't have a passing TD in the game.  He did have a rushing TD though.  The 49ers beat the Broncos 55-10.

Again, this was Elway's SEVENTH YEAR IN THE LEAGUE.

John Elway is now considered one of the "all-time greats" and "best of all time".

I agree, but funny you should say that.

I was watching highlights of Super Bowl XXIV on the NFL Network this afternoon.  This was in 1990, so it was the Super Bowl after the 1989 season.

John Elway had been in the league for 7 years.

He was TERRIBLE.  He overthrew receivers.  He underthrew receivers.  He didn't have a passing TD in the game.  He did have a rushing TD though.  The 49ers beat the Broncos 55-10.

Again, this was Elway's SEVENTH YEAR IN THE LEAGUE.

John Elway is now considered one of the "all-time greats" and "best of all time".

​Old enough to remember Elway getting criticized for throwing the ball too hard as a rookie. His WRs became famous for their "cross" patterns. Elway'd throw it so hard the pointed tip of the football would leave a cross pattern on the WR's skin. And he just couldn't tame his arm until he got older and started to lose the zip. Much different passer in the '97 Super Bowl than as a rookie in '83.

Good discussion. I like the different perspective brought by Hawk and saints4life. It results in a more interesting discussion imo. One point regarding Cam's deal...unless you are the guy writing or receiving the checks, the fact that most of the guaranteed money is paid in the first 3 years doesn't matter. From a competitive standpoint, it's irrelevant. Other than a low number this year, the cap hits are all about the same for the rest of the contract. So it is an error to think about it as a front-loaded deal, because it's not.

1. Cam in the open field has an innate ability to know exactly when to finish the play. And the way he slides adds a good 5 yards to the end of the  play. And that slide against the Steelers where he got hurt was a fluke. We all have seen with our own two eyes how he seems to escaped danger unfazed.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

2. Not in the open field Cam has the knack of manipulating how he goes down.  When he does anticipate multiple contacts at point of attack. His risk to benefit analytical skills, which are off the charts, are used to decide which defender gets to soften the blow.

3. In the pocket, he is susceptible to a myriad of ways to get taken down. Some he may see coming and can avoid. Some he may see coming and cannot avoid. And some he won't see coming at all. That is a poo ton of carnage coming after him in a limited field of battle. Because this is the one portion of the field he can't/doesn't have control. His safety is in more danger here than anywhere.

4. Let's just face it. Our 6'5 tank of a QB has had great success avoiding the big hits. And his "Slide" is but yet one more way he has revolutionized the NFL.

Archived