• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Newton vs Ryan; the verdict?

CelibatePimp

Yeah, not sure race has anything to do with it.Look at RG3, he was promoted and shoved down our throats, and he's sh!t. They created dialogue about Cam and now can't change anything they say about him. So it's up to Cam to change their heads for them.

Also Dalton would only talk about his soul harvesting machine he has built.

Yeah, not sure race has anything to do with it.Look at RG3, he was promoted and shoved down our throats, and he's sh!t. The created dialogue about Cam and now can't change anything they say about him. So it's up to Cam to change their heads for them.

Also Dalton would only talk about his soul harvesting machine he has built.

​Some of it is. But most of it is just idiot college football fans who hate a guy for life just because he beat their favorite team.

I have been in close contact with Dalton regarding his soul harvesting machine. If you would like to be spared, I suggest you begin kissing up to me now.

Every falcons fan knows Cam is better, Cam has had a terrible supporting cast almost his entire career, give him Julio and Roddy and his numbers would be crazy.

Ryan has had every thing handed to him on a silver platter and he still can't make the playoffs or put up elite numbers.

Every falcons fan knows Cam is better, Cam has had a terrible supporting cast almost his entire career, give him Julio and Roddy and his numbers would be crazy.

Ryan has had every thing handed to him on a silver platter and he still can't make the playoffs or put up elite numbers.

​What Ryan are we talking about? Matt Ryan has made the playoff a number of times, granted he only has one playoff win. Matt Ryan has also been top ten consistently in most stats and top 5 in yds for some time now.

cam has the ability to be the best qb , its up to the players around him if we get the oline to give him time hell almost pick apart any defense . another thing is wrs have to catch the ball i seen multiple times on film cam throw a perfect catch and someone just drops it and stalls the drive for example mike tolberts 3rd down drop vs seattle. i think its going to be much better with the weapons we  gave cam 

Sorry dude. I apologize in advance, but...

Read this as Leonard Hofsteider sitting on a couch with a group of Penny's friends.

"Ryan completes 64 percent of his passes; Newton 59.5 percent. Ryan has thrown for more than 4,000 yards in four consecutive seasons; Newton has done that once, his rookie year in 2011. Ryan's touchdown to interception ratio is 2.3; Newton's is 2.8. Ryan has thrown 22 or more touchdowns in six consecutive seasons; Newton has surpassed 21 once, throwing 24 in 2013. Ryan makes better overall decisions. He's a better pocket passer. He's got a better record (64-44 to 30-31-1). He's had four seasons of 10-plus wins; Newton has one."

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/13990

You can use that 'first four years' argument all day, fact is it's flawed because players have a tendency to do this thing called "getting better" Ryan went from being a game manager to a legit NFL QB over the course of his career. As of right now, he is without a doubt better than Cam Newton.

He probably still will be in a few years as well, if you wanna make that argument. Looking at Cam's yardage numbers go down every year and his TDs and INTs fluctuate randomly. I'll even include his rushing stats because they go down as well (even though they're not a QB stat)

2011-
4,051 passing yards, 21 TDs, 17 INTs
706 rushing yards, 14 TDs

2012-
3,869 passing yards, 19 TDs, 12 INTs
741 rushing yards, 8 TDs

2013-
3,379 passing yards, 24 TDs, 13 INTs
585 rushing yards, 6 TDs

2014-
3,127 passing yards, 18 TDs, 12 INTs
539 rushing yards, 5 TDs

Now the obvious rebuttal is: " well if Ryan can get better why can't Cam??"

Here's the thing about that: If you want base your arguments in numbers (like you have) Ryan's went up in almost every category the first four years he was in the league.  You can see his progression. The only thing that stands out is his passing yards went down from 2008-2009. However, looking at the years following compared with his first year, it's an obvious aberration. Cam's have only regressed or stayed around the same exact clip. There's nothing that's an outlier with his stats.

Here's Ryan:

2008-
3,440 passing yards, 16 TDs, 11 INTs

2009-
2,916 passing yards, 22 TDs, 14 INTs

2010-
3,705 passing yards, 28 TDs, 9 INTs

2011-
4,117 passing yards, 29 TDs, 12 INTs

It's funny, because Cam's first four years put in a vacuum and compared to others make him look great. But when you actually take a look at them, he's going down and inconsistency is really the only thing he's been consistent at.

So in reality...Ryan is better now, and will probably still be better in three years. Why? He is consistent and Cam shows sign of being that or getting any better.

So I pose a question Panthers fans, and I want serious discussion: What makes you think Cam will get any better? The numbers say he probably won't, the eye test shows he wasn't really 'himself' last year, and he just got a big contract. Is there any reason besides homerism to think he's going to turn it around all of a sudden?

Yup.

If Cam is such a great passer why doesn't he get more attempts? 

Shula.

​Did you watch our games last year? His mobility in the pocket was better than ever. He looked like he could make it as a running QB in spots. His athleticism was majorly improved;hence more rollouts and bootlegs.

Shows how popular Cam has become. Even that Mr. atl QB has taken to improving his "athleticism" in a feable attempt to emulate him.

​Understandable. But why shell out all that money for who has apparently been turned into a game manager? Unless his running is just that important? Hell Alex Smith is an excellent runner. You wanna put him on that level? I won't. 

When Cam balls out, he very well could be looking at MVP type consideration. A healthy Cam will hold the flag for Game Managers everywhere.

​Fair enough. But I still don't see him as a great passer. Wasn't there some article a few weeks ago that showed him having the most overthrows in the league or something to that effect? 

Cam had a bum ankle since college taken care of. It gave him a bit a problem all year. Hard to be highly accurate without a stable plant foot. Fortunately for us, not so much for you, that ankle is now fully rejuvenated. 

A finally healthy happy Cam gets to play football pain free. Let that sink in for few moments. Then run away. No...seriously...go away. You can come back when/if you promise to really think about the consequences of having to play Cam not just once, but twice each year.

Thanks for listening. You've been a dear.

matt ryan is a better pure passer, cam is a better athlete and more explosive player overall. i don't follow the falcons so i don't know matt ryans leadership skills but cam is coming into his own nicely

​What Ryan are we talking about? Matt Ryan has made the playoff a number of times, granted he only has one playoff win. Matt Ryan has also been top ten consistently in most stats and top 5 in yds for some time now.

​Ryan never lead, the NFL in yards, td, passer rating or completion% so no he he has never put up elite numbers.

Ryan has had an arsenal of weapons better than any QB in the league and not even one all pro team.

if you look at his stats the last two seasons they come in either garbage time or vs terrible defenses. Mean while last season alone Cam sat out 4 4th Q and missed 2 games.

Answer: Mike Shula.

In addition, we've had weak protection and weapons. Matt Ryan has never been in Cam's shoes. He's always had White and then Julio and then Gonzalez (two of which are All-Pros).

Now that we've drafted Benjamin and Funchess... who knows? Perhaps Newton will start airing it out more.

​That doesn't work because Ryan was without White and Jones pretty much all of 2013 and still put up the same numbers.  Ryan's offensive line has also been terrible, and he had no running game foR three years. His defense is also completely trash while Cam's keeps getting better. 'Never been in Cam's shoes' yeah, he's recently had it much worse.

​Ryan never lead, the NFL in yards, td, passer rating or completion% so no he he has never put up elite numbers.

Ryan has had an arsenal of weapons better than any QB in the league and not even one all pro team.

if you look at his stats the last two seasons they come in either garbage time or vs terrible defenses. Mean while last season alone Cam sat out 4 4th Q and missed 2 games.

​4,719 yards, 32 TDs, 14 INTs on 68% comp. is pretty damn good. That was his 2012 season.

And lol @ garbage time. Ryan was the only reason we were in any games these last two years. He's been dragging this corpus of a team on his back.

​4,719 yards, 32 TDs, 14 INTs on 68% comp. is pretty damn good. That was his 2012 season.

And lol @ garbage time. Ryan was the only reason we were in any games these last two years. He's been dragging this corpus of a team on his back.

​What happen 13&14? Matt Ryan = Matthew Stafford. Any QB can put up big numbers with the weapons Ryan has had, and yet Ryan only puts up big numbers vs bad defenses and in garbage time.

Archived