• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers grooming future GM?

Jmac

So a guy is going to literally spend years training for a job and somehow he's not a "football guy" that makes no sense. I'll take a home grown successor over a guy with a little scouting experience. That's what you hire scouts for. If he's training for the job that makes him highly qualified. 

What is scary is that other teams will look this/him as their next potential candidate. We could be looking at grooming him for us later down the road and another team wind up hiring him. Think about that. 

All they can do, in order to keep valued FO personnel, coaches, or players, is make the organization a place that people want to stick with. No matter what you do, other factors you can't control can figure into whether someone goes or stays.

So a guy is going to literally spend years training for a job and somehow he's not a "football guy" that makes no sense. I'll take a home grown successor over a guy with a little scouting experience. That's what you hire scouts for. If he's training for the job that makes him highly qualified. 

I hate you but we agree here, these other opinions are based on such ignorant thinking.

Like how the journalist Hurney trained to become GM? 

I hate you but we agree here, these other opinions are based on such ignorant thinking.

Marty Hurney worked hard and spent years training for the GM job too. And his mentor during that process was one of the best GM's in NFL history. That's how he got the job despite not being a football guy.

How'd that work out?

If a guy's main job is finding the right personnel to assemble a winning roster, then what you want is a guy with actual experience evaluating players and a record of doing it well. That's why we got Dave Gettleman after Hurney failed.

We've seen what a money guy can do and what a football guy can do. Which would you choose?

So you're saying because he wasn't born and raised a scout he's not qualified? A guy can't learn? This poo isn't neuroscience lol

I don't know of anyone who was "born and raised a scout".

I do know of several people who have proven themselves capable of personnel evaluation by working for years as scouts.

I'm not a subscriber to the goofball notion a lot of corporate America has that if a guy is good at one thing, you can put him in a job doing something else and he'll  be good at that too. If a guy's going to be hired for a job, I'd like some evidence that he can actually do that job, not something else.

I do know of several people who have proven themselves capable of personnel evaluation by working for years as scouts.

I'm not a subscriber to the goofball notion a lot of corporate America has that if a guy is good at one thing, you can put him in a job doing something else and he'll  be good at that too. If a guy's going to be hired for a job, I'd like some evidence that he can actually do that job, not something else.

Of course you don't because I was exaggerating

Of course you don't because I was exaggerating

...in your effort to argue that we should accept another Marty Hurney type as GM instead of looking for another Dave Gettleman.

You can exaggerate, elaborate, extrapolate, elucidate, enumerate and exonerate as much as you want. When it's all said and done, that position still won't make any sense.

This is one future hire that MUST be correct. It wouldn't take someone but a couple of years to start screwing up what D.G. has started to do with this organization. Things in this league can head south fast without the proper leadership.

There is some evidence:

Beane, 38, has steadily climbed the ranks after joining the organization in 1998 as a member of the communications staff. He’s since been seasoned in nearly every role a general manager needs to know, from scouting at the college and pro level to negotiations and budgets.

According to the team’s official press release, not only did Beane help put together Carolina’s draft board the past four years, he’s “also been responsible for directing portions of the NFL Draft, including executing trades that netted the Panthers cornerback Bené Benwikere, wide receiver Devin Funchess and offensive tackle Daryl Williams.

While we clearly don't have a great picture. It's pretty clear that Beane, has and will continue to have strong seasoning in the scouting realm.

Given that Gettlemen is great in scouting in his own right, not one to put sentiment over judgment, has had three years worth of time with him and continues to think highly ,speaks volumes.

Archived