• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Need opinions on Charleston SC (not shooting related)

PanthersFanNY

Hi guys,

I recently was offered a promotion located in Charleston SC. I currently live in upstate NY and am seriously considering the move. I'm looking for some opinions and thoughts on Charleston as far as quality of life, general area, etc. Both my wife and I are young (I'm 28, she's 26) and we have no kids. We have family not too far away in Charlotte and friends in NC elsewhere.

I know that property taxes and state income taxes are lower than NY where we get bent over a barrel by the towns and state. The promotion would give me a raise of about 18% or so. Cost of moving not included. I'd have to sell my house here but that isn't a huge deal I don't think. I'd be renting when first moving down there, if I accept it.

I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions on Charleston, the area, or just moving far in general. Thanks.

NY to Charleston would be a no brainer for me. I love Charleston, My Dad and sister both live there, I had every intention of moving there some day, until I moved to Wilmington. A move to Charleston is less likely for me now, I like it here.

Only negative would be the stifling heat

​And:

High amount of tourists

Low amounts of young boaters

A Yank trying to fit into a city/state still semi fighting the civil war

Positives:

Great food scene

Great drinking scene

College of Charleston girls

Ocean/ICW

That said, I would make the move, and not think twice about it.  However, if you want to live in the cool spots, your cost of living won't be that much cheaper.  Rent in the nicer places down there is pretty high.

You can't be a local to other locals until you are 4th generation.  And if you move, the counter resets.  

<<Displaced 2x from there.

Haha good to know. I've been told to not look at housing in North Charleston but that Summerville, John's Island, and Mount Pleasant are all nice areas. Sound right?

Archived