• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Did anyone listen to Rivera on WFNZ?

Nick_81

I don't think Rivera is all that fluent in "coach speak".

I've always gotten the impression he just says what he thinks.

This makes the whole Kelvin situation make WAY more sense. Rivera said something he thought would be nothing, people (of course) freak out.

I hope so, id hope for us to have a fast paced offense

Well, he specifically said it wouldn't be fast paced.  It does give Cam time to get to the line, read the defense, and make adjustments accordingly though.  Instead of the typical 4 seconds left on the clock, when running Shula huddle.

I'm sure they are doing what they can in hopes of scoring more points. 

Only the huddle would think the coaching staff doesn't care about points.

Well its a fact that scoring a lot of points very quickly DOES concern a certain subset of coaches, mainly those of a defensive mindset and those who adore a dominating run game with lots of TOP.

Guess what mindset our head coach fits? Our offensive coordinator?

"OH NOEZ!  IF WE SCORE TOO QUICK AND TOO OFTEN OUR DEFENSE WILL GET TIRED!"

I don't think Rivera is all that fluent in "coach speak".

I've always gotten the impression he just says what he thinks.

his description of how players do in pre-season are very much coach speak.  Just like every other coach.  No coach is going to say "we screwed up with that draft pick".   My degree is in communication arts.  What I noticed in the part we're talking about is not only the controlled enthusiasm when talking about the upcoming season but two other things...how fast he talked and how long he talked.  Not going to say I've studied all his interviews, but it stood out to me.  I get the feeling he really likes where this team is.

eta.  I've never heard that in his voice before

Well its a fact that scoring a lot of points very quickly DOES concern a certain subset of coaches, mainly those of a defensive mindset and those who adore a dominating run game with lots of TOP.

Guess what mindset our head coach fits? Our offensive coordinator?

"OH NOEZ!  IF WE SCORE TOO QUICK AND TOO OFTEN OUR DEFENSE WILL GET TIRED!"

There is ZERO reasons to score quick, unless ya don't have the lead, and you're running out of time. 

Sorry if i don't subscribe to the "score as quick as possible just cause we can," mentality. 

Archived