• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you be happy with the Kaminsky pick if...

Would you be satisfied with the Frank Kaminsky pick if he turns out being at the level of, say, Channing Frye when he was in Phoenix & averages 10-12pt with 5-7reb, not saying this year but in the future.. I personally would be very happy if he could produce at this level for us. The more I keep thinking about us drafting frank the more I keep thinking that he will not be that bad on the offensive end or rebounding. But I do fear he will not be a capable defender and that scares me a lot. Now, if these numbers from him wouldn't make you happy, what would? And if it would take less than this to satisfy you with Frank also let's hear it

For a top 10 pick that would be terrible long term. As a rookie that might be ok if he shoots an amazing percentage. Long-term he needs to be a 20 and 10 guy or the we are going to be stuck in the lottery for a long damn time.

For a top 10 pick that would be terrible long term. As a rookie that might be ok if he shoots an amazing percentage. Long-term he needs to be a 20 and 10 guy or the we are going to be stuck in the lottery for a long damn time.

My expectations for him aren't that high so that is why I'd be happy with those #s

Realistically most people will call him a bust unless he's MVP-caliber. That's just how the "fanbase" operates. If we picked Justise and he averaged 10 and 5, he'd be the man. Every player gets a separate set of expectations.

/Kemba scores 26, hands out 6 dimes

"We need to dump Kemba for a 2nd-round pick," "Kemba sucks"

/MKG gives up 62 points to Melo

"It was Hendo's fault! He didn't do his job! MKG's our superstar!"

/Frank has a bad practice (realistically he will have bad games too. I know. Fill the chamber)

"Bust!" "MJ is the worst GM in basketball"

/Justise has a decent rookie year

"We traded Kobe 2.0 for Divac 2.0 but he's not even Divac"

That's insanely unrealistic. Here's a little history lesson on recent No. 9 picks who were bigs:

2002, Amare: 19.8 ppg, 8 rpg 

2006, Patrick O'Bryant: 2 ppg, 1 rpg

2007, Joakim Noah: 10 ppg, 9.5 rpg

2012, Andre Drummond: 12 ppg, 11 rpg

2014, Noah Vonleh: 3 ppg, 3 rpg

No big picked at 9 has averaged 20 and 10 regularly, though Amare did for a little while.

If Kaminsky averaged 7 rebounds a game like Frye that would mean he's getting around 30 min of playing time a game. In that case he would be averaging way more then 12 ppg because he is too talented offensively. I just don't see it. I think he will be better then that.

Considering what the Celtics offered us at the 9 spot or the chance to take Winslow, dude will have to be Larry Bird in order for me to be happy with this pick. (within his first two years)  The Celtics offered us a gigantic deal that would have put us in great standing concerning the draft for the next 2-3 years.  When you have a small market team that can't sign a big name free agent if the human race depended on it, the draft is your only lifeline to be somebody.  Yet you turn all that down because you fell in love with a dude you could have drafted in the later teens and down?  That is unforgivable right there.  If Kaminsky doesn't turn into the next Larry Bird within the next 2 years, I will be done with the Hornets.  After all, it's not necessarily a hometown type of team for me anyway, but it's the closest to my home.

Considering what the Celtics offered us at the 9 spot or the chance take Winslow, dude will have to be Larry Bird in order for me to be happy with this pick. (within his first two years)  The Celtics offered us a gigantic deal that would have put us in great standing concerning the draft for the next 2-3 years.  When you have a small market team that can't sign a big name free agent if the human race depended on it, the draft is your only lifeline to be somebody.  Yet you turn all that down because you fell in love with a dude you could have drafted in the later teens and down?  That is unforgivable right there.  If Kaminsky doesn't turn into the next Larry Bird within the next 2 years, I will be done with the Hornets.  After all, it's not necessarily a hometown type of team for me anyway, but it's the closest to my home.

Your frustration is duly noted, buy you MIGHT be overreacting a tad here.

I don't feel like looking for it but folks here have already broken down why Charlotte didn't and shouldn't have taken the Celtics deal.

Your frustration is duly noted, buy you MIGHT be overreacting a tad here.

I don't feel like looking for it but folks here have already broken down why Charlotte didn't and shouldn't have taken the Celtics deal.

I think the Celtics deal was the best possible option out of all that was there.  Yes, many believe Winslow is going to be a great player, possibly a potential superstar, but I myself wasn't really high on anyone that was available.  I do agree with everyone that Winslow should have been the pick if we chose anyone.  Yet I would disagree with those who said we shouldn't have taken that deal.  I would argue we should have took any deal that offered us extra 1st round picks.

Would you be satisfied with the Frank Kaminsky pick if he turns out being at the level of, say, Channing Frye when he was in Phoenix & averages 10-12pt with 5-7reb, not saying this year but in the future.. I personally would be very happy if he could produce at this level for us. The more I keep thinking about us drafting frank the more I keep thinking that he will not be that bad on the offensive end or rebounding. But I do fear he will not be a capable defender and that scares me a lot. Now, if these numbers from him wouldn't make you happy, what would? And if it would take less than this to satisfy you with Frank also let's hear it

The issue I have with Kaminsky is that he's not really a good fit next to Al Jefferson. He's not athletic. He's not a rim protector, and on the whole he isn't impressive on the defensive side. The positive is he can shoot and potentially develop into a stretch-4, but unless he improves defensively, he could be a liability as a starter and ultimately become a role player off the bench.

Now maybe long term we will let Al Jefferson walk away, and then pursue an athletic center to replace him, and let Kaminsky develop into that Channing Frye type player. But to be honest, if we were going after a big, I would rather have drafted Myles Turner because he could have been a better fit next to Al. Though I suppose Kaminsky is more pro ready and likely to contribute in Clifford's rotation, whereas Turner is another raw prospect like Vonleh that may have been marginalised.

Overall, we need Kaminsky to become at least as good as Channing Frye. But arguably that might be a waste of a top ten pick, especially if Justice Winslow becomes a borderline star or better. Same with Turner. 

I think the Celtics deal was the best possible option out of all that was there.  Yes, many believe Winslow is going to be a great player, possibly a potential superstar, but I myself wasn't really high on anyone that was available.  I do agree with everyone that Winslow should have been the pick if we chose anyone.  Yet I would disagree with those who said we shouldn't have taken that deal.  I would argue we should have took any deal that offered us extra 1st round picks.

It was a bad deal though, four late first round picks, nothing unprotected or any lottery picks and it was possible that one of them turned into 2 second rounders. There's a reason every team in the top ten turned them down.

Archived