• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stephen A. Smith believes we should apologize to Steve Smith

nctarheel0619

Steve Smith was the greatest player in the first 20 years of the Panthers history.  I truly hope he makes the HOF whether he wants to acknowledge the Panthers or not.  He has had a HOF career.  His highlight reel stacks up to any receiver all-time.  He is as tough a competitor as you will ever meet.  He made our Sundays way more exciting from 2001-2013.

The right decision was made after the 2013 Season.  Rivera & Gettleman have built a different culture here.  Smitty is right in that he was born to be in a culture like the Ravens.  He didn't fit into the workplace culture here, and that's ok.  Smitty isn't going to change, and Gettleman/Rivera weren't going to compromise.  I don't know how you can make the exit of all-time franchise great easy, especially when the player leaves throwing hand grenades.

And as much as Richardson obviously cares for Steve Smith, he had the sense to back the people with the best long-term interest of the franchise in mind.  I think getting cut has propelled his fire to continue to produce these last 2 years, which can hopefully get him into the HOF.  He deserves that.

He doesn't deserve anything else from the Panthers, though, and especially not an apology from Dave Gettleman, Ron Rivera, or the fans.  Fairy tale endings are just that.  It was an awesome 13 year run, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

But it's time to move on.  I want Steve Smith to retire a Raven at this point, if I'm being honest.  That bridge was firebombed so hard on the way out there's no reason to even attempt to rebuild it.

Smitty has built a HOF resume as a 5'9" receiver playing in a land of giants b/c he takes all criticism personally and uses that to fuel himself.  He also can be an a**hole, which is exactly how he has been in relation to the Panthers since his departure.

I hope Steve Smith retires as a Raven and spends his retirement helping the community where he was born to be.  I'm pretty sure Baltimore could use it.  I hear they have a few ongoing problems up there.  Maybe breaking some sporks will turn them around.

You should create a thread with his Instagram post about being "born a Raven" as well as his response to you and sticky it.

That way all future suggestions about trading for Smith can be referred there.

maybe if people read the post where he says he is awesome because he donates money to the Charlotte community and I'm just jacking off to his Instagram page they'll understand he's just a fiery competitor. 

maybe if people read the post where he says he is awesome because he donates money to the Charlotte community and I'm just jacking off to his Instagram page they'll understand he's just a fiery competitor. 

Thomas Davis has been popping the same finger back in 29 times since the season started and doesn't miss any plays but fug IT TRADE EVERYTHING FOR STEVE SMITH HE HAS FIRE AND TALENT

Funny how I never heard any boos coming from the BOA stands when he played in Carolina.... but he leaves and suddenly he's the worst thing that ever happened to the team. 

As I stated, I'm not advocating his return to the team by any stretch, but what he's done with his career should be respected and admired, regardless of your personal feelings. 

I don't particularly like anything about Michael Jackson, ever, but I gotta give him his due respect for an amazing career. 

Okay, let's stick with the Michael Jackson analogy.  

If Jackson was coming to perform at your kids birthday party....don't get all super defensive when someone mentions all his weird freak behavior and allegations of criminal behavior.  Yeah, we all get his performance of Thriller would have been on point at the party.  Gotta talk about the other stuff though and if it worth all the other parents cancelling, calling your wife to complain, etc b/c of who you wanted to perform at the party.   That ain't hating on him as a performer.

89 was awesome WR.  At his age, he is still a dang good one.  More to 89 at this point than just that....and talking about all this other baggage doesn't have much to do with his ability to catch.

I would apologize to him if he returned the 5 million we paid him to play for Baltimore in 2014. Otherwise why bring back a guy who was a locker room problem to a team where all the players rave about how cohesive the locker room is at this point.

He is a great player and fierce competitor but not a great person or locker room presence. Did we ever go 6-0 with Smitty?

anybody who's not a panthers fan thinks of steve smith when they think of the panthers

any actual panthers fan thinks of guys like thomas davis, cam newton, muhsin muhammad, etc when they think of the panthers.

consider the possibility that it actually does make sense and you're just vicariously butthurt for smitty

just gonna go ahead and remind you in case you forgot m8.

you sound like a 14 year old girl yet i'm the butthurt one for pointing out your idiocy after you randomly attacked a poster.

Maybe that's why he was born to be a Raven.

I'd be all in if there is a clause that says Smith can't talk to anyone in the locker room. Trash talk it up on the field. 

Jeff Davidson approves.

just gonna go ahead and remind you in case you forgot m8.

you sound like a 14 year old girl yet i'm the butthurt one for pointing out your idiocy after you randomly attacked a poster.

I wasn't randomly attacking him. I was directly quoted and contradicted by someone pretending he has a clue of what he's talking about.

Unless you have a systematic explanation to refute what I said then stop pretending you are this forum's Robin Hood sticking up for some anonymous guy making a smartass comment because I honestly do not give a poo what you think and many people on this board give a poo what I think.

So m8 that

I wasn't randomly attacking him. I was directly quoted and contradicted by someone pretending he has a clue of what he's talking about.

Unless you have a systematic explanation to refute what I said then stop pretending you are this forum's Robin Hood sticking up for some anonymous guy making a smartass comment because I honestly do not give a poo what you think and many people on this board give a poo what I think.

So m8 that

you can't be serious... you really can't see that your statement was fuging dumb?

you spouted your bullshit angsty OPINION about "being a REAL panthers fan" and treated it as a FACT. and when someone disagreed with it you attacked them.

systematic explanation? holy poo you are some type of clown.

believe me m8, no one gives a fug about your dumb ass.

you can't be serious... you really can't see that your statement was fuging dumb?

you spouted your bullshit angsty OPINION about "being a REAL panthers fan" and treated it as a FACT. and when someone disagreed with it you attacked them.

systematic explanation? holy poo you are some type of clown.

believe me m8, no one gives a fug about your dumb ass.

haha, eat poo you fuging tool when was the last time you provided anything to this board besides free boners to 16 year old lurkers who chance upon your avatar lol

Archived