• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stephen A. Smith believes we should apologize to Steve Smith

nctarheel0619

Simple he improves the chance to win THIS year, and retires a Panther for probably a 6th or 7th. I'd pull the trigger, instantly makes us better, being released and away a year has allowed the locker room to establish new voices to the future core. 

I'd imagine a player like Smith Sr. could keep it together and focused for a legit, last ditch effort at a Superbowl run. We literally have nothing to lose, I can't imagine one player, or true fan being against something that makes so much sense, Muhammad came back, Ginn came back, Smith should be afforded an opportunity as well to return and be productive. 

However with all that said I think it's only a dream. 

Simple he improves the chance to win THIS year, and retires a Panther for probably a 6th or 7th. I'd pull the trigger, instantly makes us better, being released and away a year has allowed the locker room to establish new voices to the future core. 

I'd imagine a player like Smith Sr. could keep it together and focused for a legit, last ditch effort at a Superbowl run. We literally have nothing to lose, I can't imagine one player, or true fan being against something that makes so much sense, Muhammad came back, Ginn came back, Smith should be afforded an opportunity as well to return and be productive. 

Maybe ....maybe he is the type that unloads on Funchess in the 3rd q and throws fits about why he isn't getting the ball forced to him instead.

Maybe instead of going back to the open man in Funchess that ultimately drives us down to win we turn it over to stop his rage.

89 changes the dynamics, leadership, etc.  Which is why he left.  People only see his catches right now.  You don't just insert a bet to catch open balls when it comes to 89

Before I discuss any further, can we get an A/S/L as I don't want to waste any further synaptic junctions or neurons firing in debating a 10 year old.

Prior statements about when and how old he was when he started cheering for the Panthers would indicate he's a high school kid.

That probably helps explain why all of his arguments are based on emotion and he's resistant to logic.

I doubt he could accomplish any of that seeing as - per his own words - he'd quit the day he was traded.

Prior statements about when and how old he was when he started cheering for the Panthers would indicate he's a high school kid.

That probably helps explain why all of his arguments are based on emotion and he's resistant to logic.

Steve Smith haters pee sitting down

And if you needed any further evidence...

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – The Carolina Panthers don’t need to trade with the Baltimore Ravens to bring back their all-time leading receiver.

They may need another reliable receiver.

But they don’t need Steve Smith.

Michael Smith of ESPN’s “His and Hers’’ was adamant on Tuesday’s show that Carolina general manager Dave Gettleman and Baltimore’s Ozzie Newsome should get on a phone and work out a deal.

“They need each other,’’ Smith said. “The Ravens need to get some value for him. This needs to happen.’’

No it doesn’t.

First, Ravens coach John Harbaugh said last week there’s “no chance’’ the Ravens will trade Smith and Smith said he would quit if traded.

But let’s take that out of the equation and say the Ravens were willing to deal. Why would Carolina?

Nothing really has changed since March of 2014 when Gettleman and the Panthers opted to release Smith except Smith’s age (36) and the addition of Sr. to the back of his jersey.

Smith was released because there were concerns over the course of a long season that productivity might decline. Last season proved that right as Smith had four 100-plus yards receiving games in the first six and none the final 10. Six times down the stretch he had less than 50 yards.

Smith was released because the Panthers were trying to create a culture in the locker room that didn’t involve outbursts and being a divisive force that Smith sometimes displayed.

Smith was released because the Panthers wanted to begin building for the future with younger and less expensive receivers.

Smith was released because the Panthers wanted people to identify this as Cam Newton’s team.

All that remains true.

This wouldn’t even be a conversation if the Panthers hadn’t lost 2014 first-round pick Kelvin Benjamin to a season-ending knee injury during training camp.

This wouldn’t be a conversation if the Ravens weren’t 1-6 and all but given up on as a playoff contender.

But the Panthers are 6-0 without Benjamin, despite the absence of a true No. 1 receiver. They’ve found ways to maximize their offense with Pro Bowl tight end Greg Olsen and a group of receivers that includes Ted Ginn Jr., Philly Brown and Jerricho Cotchery.

Yes, Smith is better than any of those. Yes, Smith’s family still lives in Charlotte. Yes, Smith wants to one day have his name in Carolina’s Hall of Honor.

Most of Smith’s career 13,850 yards and 956 catches came in a Carolina uniform. When he retires after this season the Panthers should sign him to a one-day contract so he can leave the game with the team that drafted him in 2001.

But if you remember Smith’s parting shot to Gettleman after being released you’ll see why this wouldn’t work now.

“Yes, it was personal with me and Dave Gettleman,’’ Smith told Charlotte radio station WFNZ at the time. “Obviously, I did something that got under his skin.’’

After Smith ran roughshod (10 catches, 139 yards, two touchdowns) over the Panthers in a win at Baltimore last season, he said, “I just think I was stabbed in the back.’’

He made reference that Carolina coach Ron Rivera never looked at him “man-to-man’’ to tell him what was happening before the release.

The Panthers can’t risk adding those feelings to the mix of an undefeated team.

It’s easy to understand why some say the Panthers need Smith when you look at their current crop of wide receivers.

But they really don’t.

Steve Smith makes any roster he's on better. That's the only thing that matters to me, and it should be the only thing that matters to everyone else but obviously there's a lot of very emotional grown men in here with their pretty pink panties in a bunch. 

it is a dream and I give you credit for at least acknowledging that

that's a very romanticized take on the entire situation. By all accounts, Smitty is dedicated to a new team and has no rapport here. He basically said out loud to the media that Ron isn't a real man for not talking to him directly, how the fug do you think working out a trade to bring him into the locker room would go down?

This is the picture everyone has in their head: a disgruntled Smith coming back and pulling off an inspiring productive run for the Panthers to make the Super Bowl and treating the whole team to ice cream after the big game. And then a big bro hug to everybody he spat in the face of when he was burning his bridges on the way out here. 

That's not how real life works, that's not how the NFL works, that's not how anything other than what Paramount Pictures or Pixar makes works. And no matter how many times you picture it in your head doesn't make it more likely to come true. Steve Smith is not coming back here because we're not just adding 1000 yards to our receiving production. It's more complicated than that. The whole of a team is not the sum of its parts.

Steve Smith makes any roster he's on better. That's the only thing that matters to me, and it should be the only thing that matters to everyone else but obviously there's a lot of very emotional grown men in here with their pretty pink panties in a bunch. 

At this point, he makes the roster better for about the first six to eight games of the season. We're already six games in.

And calling other  people emotional while you're pining for Steve Smith is irony at its best.

no he doesn't.  Not this version.  Now he is a good WR that brings all his headaches.   His headaches impact things.

Some one argue the emotional attached to what he was skews what people think he brings now...and those selective ignore all the reasons he was released (non of which involve the ability to catch balls )

When this team was run like a Mom and Pop franchise, Steve could get away with just about anything.

Even undermining the team's Offensive Coordinator.

Not so much after our Mom and Pop GM was replaced by a no nonsense professional.

I don't believe Steve can be bested by anyone in the league when it comes to giving 100%.

Steve's downfall here seemed to come from a lack of tolerance for others that failed to share his personal vision.

Archived