• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Famine, Flood, and Lackluster Quarterbacking: A Deconstruction of Narrativity in Football

PhillyB

agree. grigson has built that offense backwards and its a losing strategy. the panthers DL may actually be the nastiest they've faced so far this year, so it should be a visual spectacular for fans monday night

I'd agree...

...though there's still that part of me that remembers the team losing games they should have won. 

DG knows that you need to start with both lines when building a football team and he has done a masterful job of turning around those key areas.

Now many on here will have you believe that drafting all the wide receivers every year is how you do it, but the downfall this season of Luck and the Colts shows that, once again, DG knows what he is doing and is doing things the right way. 

Great write up Philly. 

• Pie 6

DG knows that you need to start with both lines when building a football team and he has done a masterful job of turning around those key areas.

Now many on here will have you believe that drafting all the wide receivers every year is how you do it, but the downfall this season of Luck and the Colts shows that, once again, DG knows what he is doing and is doing things the right way. 

Great write up Philly. 

Over the last few years, I've lost count of just how many people have despairingly posted "Why don't we do like the Colts?!"

This is why.

• Pie 1

Awesome job, PB.   We both seem to share an affinity for history (I wrote my Wake Forest college admission essay on History as an important field of study).  I'm taking a trip to Costa Rica on Sunday...can you recommend a couple books for me read?  I need to start reading more non fiction.  I've finished Game of Thrones and none of the Star Wars is officially canon anymore so I need something new, and factual. 

Edited by zacka77ack

Talking to football fans of other teams, it's sad and annoying how they still believe Cam is dumb and continues to make stupid decisions, as if he is as bad as Manziel. When they say stuff like Cam keeps making bad decisions... I'm like one fight in camp is hella common among males in competition....but now it's so nice to see them understand how Cam, "as stupid as he is", can lead an undefeated team. They are victims of a terrible narrative that keeps NFL and ESPN making money. 

I read his quarterback score is horrible, with the amount of incompletions and interceptions. Clearly, they don't do their jobs of watching football because they would know that many passes have been flagrant drops and some interceptions have been the receivers' fault. 

Cam is so close to breaking quarterback rushing touchdowns at such a young age. 

Carolina is a place where fame and glamour skips over us. Why be recognized for doing what you are supposed to do? Carolina fans don't need affirmation from the media. Besides, we actually haven't won a Super Bowl yet, so we can't even demand attention tbh. 

Awesome job, PB.   We both seem to share an affinity for history (I wrote my Wake Forest college admission essay on History as an important field of study).  I'm taking a trip to Costa Rica on Sunday...can you recommend a couple books for me read?  I need to start reading more non fiction.  I've finished Game of Thrones and none of the Star Wars is officially canon anymore so I need something new, and factual. 

hmmm... for fun read kon-tiki, an account of experimental history/anthropology (a couple scientists create a paleolithic raft and test the hypothesis that people could've migrated across the pacific to populate the americas.) adventurous and highly entertaining read. also check out history wars, a very readable edited collection of essays on conflict over historical representation in museums, focusing in particular on the 1990s conflict over the smithsonian's enola gay exhibit. it ties nicely into the theoretical aspect of this post, actually. also think about reading richard hofstadter's anti-intellectualism in the american life, a seminal text for any political/cultural historian. and if you get the chance read the follow-up, susan jacoby's the age of american unreason (and review it for me, i own it but haven't read it yet)

My favorite college course of all time was Historiography.  For a full semester we studied nine different accounts of the War of the Roses.  Yes, I learned a hell of a lot about the period, but the best lesson was in one of subjectivity (and therefore objectivity).  Brilliant article that is perfectly timed.

And that background face of Luck on your charts had me rolling.  Pieing everything you post this week.

i thought about introducing historiographical principles into the post but that seemed like overkill, especially considering i just subversively introduced postmodernist concepts to the unwitting masses :)

• Pie 3

hmmm... for fun read kon-tiki, an account of experimental history/anthropology (a couple scientists create a paleolithic raft and test the hypothesis that people could've migrated across the pacific to populate the americas. adventurous and highly entertaining read. also check out history wars, a very readable edited collection of essays on conflict over historical representation in museums, focusing in particular on the 1990s conflict over the smithsonian's enola gay exhibit. it ties nicely into the theoretical aspect of this post, actually. also think about reading richard hofstadter's anti-intellectualism in the american life, a seminal text for any political/cultural historian. and if you get the chance read the follow-up, susan jacoby's the age of american unreason (and review it for me, i own it but haven't read it yet)

This is what you do for fun?

I drink beer(s) for fun. 

Thats why you are super smart and I'm a drunk dumbass always looking for a fight. 

Maybe I should start reading more so the next time I'm drunk at the bar and someone wants to fight I can be all "do you even paleolithic raft bro?"

• Pie 7

Was it his fault for "staring down" a receiver on a three step drop?  It's supposed to be a quick hitter.  You can't really look off that much after the ball is snapped.  Either way, Luck or the receiver got the play call wrong, as they were on different pages.  Regardless, it's poor QB play.