• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Panthers have waived TE Richie Brockel from injured reserved.

osd22

Just looking up IR rules, there seems to be something about not being able to IR a player with a minor injury.  Found this via Google:

If the team decides to place a player on injured reserve, it must be a major injury. The NFL defines major injury as an injury that renders the player unable to practice or play football for at least six weeks -- or 42 calendar days -- from the date of injury.

I forget when we sent Brockel to the IR, but it could be that he passed a physical, was discovered to be healthy, and thus was not able to remain on IR because he was not injured for long enough, requiring us to waive him.

But this is SPECULATION on my part.  All I know about the IR rules I learned from Google...

24 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Ah, yes, that is true.  Gonna be a tough call.

I wonder if Delaire could be sent to the PS?  That's my best guess honestly.

Other possibilities: maybe Simonson?  Or Bersin again....  Norwood??  Given the trade for him, he's almost like a "draft pick" so I doubt we'd waive him.   We already waived Horton this season when we had to call up extra Oline depth from the PS.  Doubt we'd waive him again either.  He's a valuable player.

I doubt they'd risk waiving Marlowe or Wegher after holding on to them for so long on the 53 even if they're not playing this season.

It'll be prob be Wes Horton

Brockel was probably waived because he was going to come off of IR and there wasn't going to be an open spot without jettisoning someone. CJ is coming back soon, too, meaning two would need to vacate roster spots to take both back. 

As the back-up back-up tight end and rarely used blocking back, Brockel just came up with no space to be made. I have a feeling we'll see him back at training camp in the spring, or if we have a serious injury to a tight end or special teams player. 

They won't be waiving Johnson, I'd wager, so that's when we are liable to see someone slip off the roster, barring a serious injury. Who it will be is anyone's guess. I am betting it won't be a defensive player, though.

Brockel was NOT about to come off IR.  that would have been impossible since once a player is put on IR, they are there for the rest of the current season, including play-offs.  The only exception to this is that one player each season can be designated as IR-return (and it must be done at the time he is placed on IR) and that player this season is Charles Johnson.  

So I have no idea why they decided to waive Brockel at this time.  It is a little curious, but it certainly has nothing to do with the active 53 man roster.  

Panthers probably decided to cut bait on Brockel when he got hurt again, but we're classy enough to not outright cut him, which denies him access to our medical facilities to rehab from the injury, which he can do while he's on IR. He's probably healthy enough to be cut now and not have to pay for any medical care associated with the injury out of his own pocket.

Archived