• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just finished watching a replay of the Skins 47-14 victory over the Saints...

CatMan72

I just finished watching a replay of the Skins 47-14 win over the Saints this past weekend...

• Skins ran just about every screen and draw play you can imagine. Gameplan was to get the ball out on the perimeter and take advantage of the Saints lack of any real playmakers on defense. Skins were getting chunks of yards on these plays, Cousins 2nd TD pass was a screen play the HB took 50+ yards. The idea was to run the Saints defense ragged chasing balls to the perimeter and then hit them with draw plays right up the middle. This gameplan won't work against us, we have two of the best sideline-to-sideline LB's in the league and excellent run support DB's.
  • A plan to beat us on the perimeter is a plan to fail, in his post game press conference a few weeks ago Chip Kelly said the Eagles couldn't get their offense going because they couldn't get the ball out on the edge past our LB's. He said he wasn't concerned about this moving forward because they wouldn't be facing another team this season with our ability to chase down plays from sideline-to-sideline.
  • Going back to the Skins/Saints game, Moose Johnston commented more than once on the obvious lack of effort by the Saints defense to fight through blocks and pursue the ball carriers on screens... you won't see that from our defense. 
  • Cousins made two really crisp throws on slants in the redzone for TD's and one really nice throw down the sideline to D-jax on 3rd down. He also made 2 or 3 throws that should have been picked. He has a quick release and puts nice touch on the ball but lacks the arm strength to squeeze balls into coverage or to throw out routes. He attempted a short out in the first half that the Saints DB was all over, but couldn't pull in - Norman would have taken it to the house. 

I watched this game because I wanted to understand how the Skins managed to score 47 points (even against an abysmal Saints defense). It was a very well executed gameplan that took advantage of some glaring weaknesses on the Saints defense. I figured this was the case all along, but feel much more confident about our ability to matchup after seeing the number of screens and draws the Skins relied on to move the ball into scoring position and control the TOP. 

If our defense plays like they normally do, Sunday could be a VERY long day for our opponents. 

The Redskins are gong to come in thinking they will be able to move the ball on us like the Saints but after they start getting hit by our defense they will soon realize they are in for a long day. If we can keep pressure on Cousins and Luke and company do what they do best we win this easily.

I am not sure I have seen a Panthers D that has hit as hard as these guys are hitting this year, they have really taken it to another level. We have a damn good football team folks, damn good.

6 minutes ago, uncpanther said:

The Redskins are gong to come in thinking they will be able to move the ball on us like the Saints but after they start getting hit by our defense they will soon realize they are in for a long day. If we can keep pressure on Cousins and Luke and company do what they do best we win this easily.

I am not sure I have seen a Panthers D that has hit as hard as these guys are hitting this year, they have really taken it to another level. We have a damn good football team folks, damn good.

Yeah, we're getting a reputation for our physical play - that Fasano drop in the flat on 3rd down in the Titans game was a good example... he was too busy bracing for the hit to catch the ball. 

Guest Barry McCaulkinor
13 minutes ago, CatMan72 said:

Yeah, we're getting a reputation for our physical play - that Fasano drop in the flat on 3rd down in the Titans game was a good example... he was too busy bracing for the hit to catch the ball. 

I thought the same thing too as Charles Davis was saying "oh he was looking to turn up the field and took his eyes off the ball". Like wtf was he watching? He turned into a scared little bitch and dropped it out of pure fear. 

46 minutes ago, Lloyd Christmas said:

I think this Skins game is the definition of a "trap" game. I will not be surprised if we lose this one,  especially since it will be a "home" game for Washington, unfortunately. 

But we can say that about any game we play the rest of this season.

We are now the favorites.

2 minutes ago, Frizzy350 said:

But we can say that about any game we play the rest of this season.

We are now the favorites.

True,but unfortunately, there will probably be as many deadskins fans at this game than Panthers fans, As pathetic as that is. So underdog or not, we will probably not  have the home field advantage. That actually makes me sick!

Archived