• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Star Wars TFA Discussion <Spoilers>

Darth Biscuit

Just got back from seeing it.  I thought it was brilliant.  As others have said, it kept the Star Wars feel (something the prequel trilogy lost, in my opinion) and made it something new.  The mirroring of A New Hope was perfectly ok to me.  I only had two MINOR gripes (super minor): 1) how Finn held his own against Kylo Ren and how Rey whooped the ever loving poo out of him (blaster shot injury or no); and 2) where's Kylo Ren's "Darth" title?  My son asked if it was because he was still in training, and to that I replied that in Episode 3 we see Anakin get the title and name "Darth Vader" as soon as he pledges allegiance to Palpatine.  I'm sure there is or will be a legit explanation, but I wanna know what it is.

Just saw this tonight and thought it was absolutely amazing. I know a lot of people felt like it was a rehashed ANH, but I had a slightly different take. There is no denying there are parallels, but I felt more like it was a tip of the hat to the EU. In the EU, Han  and leia have a son who specifically falls to the dark side and takes on a mask just like Vader. Heck even him being named Ben is a reference to other EU story arcs  

Overall enjoyed it. Will see again. 

have a lot of thoughts but basically overwhelming positive: love the characters of Rey, Finn, Poe and Kylo. 

Huge negative was the pacing: so much is packed into this movie I felt like the emotional impact just isn't there. It just jumps from one punch to another

24 minutes ago, Jase said:

I thought it was pretty good, but the plot had gaping holes and felt forced at times. 

anybody want to explain to me what logical explanation there would be for why there's a map to Luke Skywalker?

What were the plot holes you saw? The only ones I had issue with was how Lukes old lightsaber was retrieved. 

As for your question, I guess the same reason why they would build the Death Star with a glaring weakness then to keep that weakness in blue prints that fall into the hands of the rebels. 

18 hours ago, Darth Biscuit said:

Yeah had to be either Luke or the force itself somehow...

That begs the other question... what is the "awakening"?  Snoke mentioned feeling it... but they didn't expound on what was awakening?  Rey? Luke?  The Force itself?

R2D2 woke up when Rey first enters the room.

edit: forum pulled the wrong quote sorry

Loved every second of it. Fantastic movie, best since the originals and maybe better than Return of the Jedi. Highlights for me:
*Kylo Ren. This is a great villain. This is how Anakin should have been - a weak, impressionable person that is turned with the promise that he can one day be the strongest in the galaxy. He isn't a strong person mentally, so he relies on brute strength. When that fails, he lashes out.
*Rey. Holy cow, this is another way Anakin should have been portrayed. JJ doesn't just tell us she is powerful, he shows us. And showing is much more fun
*Starkiller base. I was thinking this was just another Death Star, but I was genuinely terrified when it split into five separate lasers. It also makes sense the First Order would build it since they are a wannabe Empire. I also loved they actually showed the view from the capital as it is being destroyed - that's one thing the Alderaan scene never had. You heard people die, but you didn't see the look of terror as their world literally ends in a second.
*The First Order. I love the fact they are actually giving the villains motivation. Sure, the Empire was bad, but for the sake of power. The First Order's motivation - a society of pure order - is both terrifying and understandable. You can understand why they would hate the Republic, because the Republic is their opposite.

My guess on the map is that Luke is powerful enough that he foresaw that he would need to be found and left most of it with R2D2 so that he would be found when the time is right.  It's no surprise to me that the rest of the map was on Jakku with that old man, who we still don't know was and was probably there to watch over Rey much like Obiwan watched over Luke. 

Luke was in hiding for a reason, I don't think that he just disappeared because Ben/Kylo betrayed him and probably killed or turned his Jedi students.  I'm speculating that part of the reason for Luke's hiding was that he feared he would take revenge (use the dark side) on Kylo and he probably also did not want to kill Han and Leia's son even tho he had turned.  Total speculation on my part.  

If this trilogy follows the path of the OT, then obviously Kylo will be redeemed at some point, probably by Rey.

Archived