• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So whats the issue with the defense?

chknwing

I am just of the mindset that our front office has spent way too much resources in the form of money, draft picks, FA agent signings, in season signings, and a head coach who is a defensive guru for our defense to be this bad.

It is wholly unfair to Newton, Shula, and the rest of this offense to put up 35 points on the board yet still have to sweat it out because the defense cannot stop even mediocre to bad QBs to back ups from racking up points in the 4th.

If that was the case, why the hell didn't we just dump all the help into the offense if we still need them to score 30+ points?

I think eli, brees, and wilson are good at quick reads, 3 step drops, and getting rid of the ball quick which gives us trouble.

I think ryan, carson palmer, and jameis are more statues in the pocket who we play better against.  Obviously, palmer is significantly better than the other 2.

1 hour ago, mcdougal said:

I am just of the mindset that our front office has spent way too much resources in the form of money, draft picks, FA agent signings, in season signings, and a head coach who is a defensive guru for our defense to be this bad.

It is wholly unfair to Newton, Shula, and the rest of this offense to put up 35 points on the board yet still have to sweat it out because the defense cannot stop even mediocre to bad QBs to back ups from racking up points in the 4th.

If that was the case, why the hell didn't we just dump all the help into the offense if we still need them to score 30+ points?

Really? That same offense that put 35 points up did nothing for 20 plus minutes of game time. 

I mean... we just shut out Atlanta. Prior to this game we were only giving up like 18 points per game or something. Our pass rush is a weaker part of our defense, but our secondary is using a stop-gap nickel corner that we just signed 3 week's ago off the street, our CB 2 just came back from a 4 week hiatus, and our former CB3 is out for the foreseeable future with a broken leg. I think our defense just let up alittle bit today and gave a chippy team the momentum in a chippy away game that was quite literally a playoff game for the home team.

Our boys are capable of much better, and will surely return to their high level of play.

CJ is kind of disappointing so far. Which is confusing because he goes on Twitter complaining about lack of playing time after a win, but even when he's in, he's nearly invisible at times.

I don't know if he's just working his way back from the missed time on IR or what, but if this keeps up, he's not going to be around next season. He's paid very well, and he's a captain, he has to step up for our defense.

Our pass defense wasn't the issue today.  Passer pressure wasn't great, but we did get pressure on manning a few times, one time it even caused an interception (which we gave right back to them). 

We gave up 160 yards on the ground to a team that is not a good running team.  The inability to stop the run, and letting OBJ get in our heads to an extent was our problem today. 

2 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Our pass defense wasn't the issue today.  Passer pressure wasn't great, but we did get pressure on manning a few times, one time it even caused an interception (which we gave right back to them). 

We gave up 160 yards on the ground to a team that is not a good running team.  The inability to stop the run, and letting OBJ get in our heads to an extent was our problem today. 

Your right! Our run defense was unusually poor even though we have been susceptible to giving up a big run. 

Archived