• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So whats the issue with the defense?

chknwing

I don't think it's any one thing. Carolina struggled to stop the giants from scoring.  Some pretty big runs.  Finnegan was out of position a few times but thats to be expected since hes fairly new.  If I had to peg it one thing I would say discipline.  Staying in your gap as to not allow the big gains.  They really shouldn't be struggling like this.  What says you?

yes I know we won.

It's one thing: lack of pass rush.

Our defense is designed around the principle of a pass rush, especially when up big late in games, that forces turnovers (see K.K. pressure on Eli and Tillman's INT) and keeps the secondary from being exposed. We simply don't have that right now, and Jared Allen and Kony Ealy and Charles Johnson especially need to pick up their games.

Just now, Manos said:

Playing a hall of fame qb on the road is what happened to the defense. Same thing with Brees, great qb play trumps great defense almost every single time.

agree I think Eli is better than Peyton just his O-line suxs...and two fingerless JPP makes a D suspect!! Going undefeated is not easy!!

We should expect opposing Offenses to be able to put up some points from time to time. Even though we have a great defense, these guys are human too and the opponents know how to play as well.

As long as we have the edge in the end and our Offense puts up 38 we are all good...

Eli is a bit of a rich mans Matt Ryan in that he will carve you up if you give him all day but if you hit him in the mouth a few times he will fold like a cheap suit.  Why we decided to rush only an ineffective front four for most of the game baffles me unless we honestly thought we could cover all his WR's all day with zero pass rush.  It would seem that once it was established during the comeback that we needed to do something different that we might have mixed things up a bit but we went right on rushing four guys who just weren't getting it done. 

Archived