• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

McDermott Interviewing with Bucs

AntiBuc

Have been hoping that the inevitable departure of McD puts him outside of NFCS, but he has his name in the hat for the Bucs HC position.

Barely 24 hours after firing Lovie Smith, and on the same day that general manager Jason Licht explained the reasoning behind the surprising decision, NFL on FOX Insider Peter Schrager reported late Thursday that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are meeting with Panthers defensive coordinator Sean McDermott this weekend to discuss their new head-coaching vacancy.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/tampa-bay-buccaneers-interview-carolina-panthers-defensive-coordinator-sean-mcdermott-010716

It'd be hard to see McD on that sideline, possibly with some other Panther assistants!  C'mon McD, push hard for Cleveland!!

From what I have read they seem fixed on hiring their offensive coordinator as their new head coach.  They have to interview a few guys including a minority candidate in order to satisfy the Rooney rule and give the perception that they are actually doing a candidate search instead of just promoting from within.   So I not sure how serious they are at this point in looking at McDermott.  But they could sure use his assessment of their weaknesses and his plan to fix their defense.

Personally, I'm pulling for Koetter now.  For Winston's continued progress, they'd be wise to maintain continuity in their offense like we did with Cam.  Koetter could make that happen.  That'd be consistent with their public statement they'd like to model their organization after the Panthers.  Of course pilfering our coaches could help with that too.  

I wish Sean a successful future unless he's at an NFCS rival...or anytime he's on the opposite sideline from our Panthers!

All the smoke signals point to their OC, which makes sense.  He's getting some HC heat from other teams.  It's good to do their due diligence for McD.  For McDermott, it's a pretty good situation as there are a lot of pieces in place: a QB for the now/possible future?  Check.  Offensive weapons:  Check.  Some good players on D (David, McCoy): Check.  It's a pretty good place to start!  though it will be a playoffs or bust mentality there next season, which might turn some folks off.

I still think they go for their offensive coordinator.

1 hour ago, Spaceballs83 said:

Any team which is in the playoffs should not have interviews. It's stupid.

If you do that, you're effectively penalizing successful coordinators by telling them they have to wait until they can try for the next level, while others get to begin making their pitches now.  The way to do it without hurting them would be to keep all teams from having interviews until after the Super Bowl, and that's never going to happen.

This is just something successful teams need to deal with.

There used to be a rule about not being able to interview a coach of a team in the playoffs. But as Cyberjag said, it was penalizing both the coaches and the teams. Good assistants were getting to the playoffs, and teams would hire someone before they were done. So they put in the rule that you could interview, but it had to be in your home city, and only during the bye week.

Archived