• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN: Wilson is the better overall quarterback now and in some ways is vastly superior to Newton.

Cat

Comparing 2 successful NFL QBs to determine which is "better" is practically impossible. They play with different players in different schemes and generally have different skillsets. But, people will write articles because fans are totally into it. I could make a convincing argument for Cam being the best QB in the NFL. But I could also do the same for Russell Wilson.

1 hour ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

Why post this poo? "Thoughts?" Bitch, what kind of thoughts are you expecting? fug KC Joyner and ESPN, can we stop giving these trolls what they want by regurgitating their poo here?

Someone forcing you to participate in this topic?

Or do you just take personal offense to other people's choices of discussion?

1 hour ago, Sam Mills Fan said:

Why post this poo? "Thoughts?" Bitch, what kind of thoughts are you expecting? fug KC Joyner and ESPN, can we stop giving these trolls what they want by regurgitating their poo here?

This. Is OP retarded? What kind of thoughts does he expect on a Panthers forum? 

35 minutes ago, Darth Biscuit said:

All smack aside, Wilson is a solid QB.  He makes things happen.  Having said that, if he and Cam switched places, I don't think he'd have the success that Cam has had behind shaky O lines and not so great WR corps.

This would actually be a good thing to point out as to why the 2 QBs are more similar than different. Russell Wilson has never had a solid pass-blocking O-line in his entire career with Seattle...arguably the worst in the league for long periods of time. And his WRs have been considered mediocre or "pedestrian" throughout his career as well....although that's more difficult to determine. But to sum it up he's never had a pro bowl offensive lineman (except for center Max Unger his first few years who was often injured, struggled with wild snaps, and is no longer on the team) or a pro-bowl receiver.

Russell and Cam both do amazing things for their offenses. Cam would probably be the only other QB in the NFL that could be successful on Seattle's offense, and vice versa, mostly due to their ability to mitigate poor pass blocking and keep defenses honest with their scrambling/rushing ability.

I'll prepare myself to get reemed here...but I think Russell Wilson throws a better ball...more accurate, better touch, etc. But in fairness, I don't watch Cam play every week...and while Wilson has shown he is strong enough to break tackles, I would give Cam the edge in difficulty to bring down, which is extremely underrated when people evaluate QBs. Breaking tackles is game-changing, plain and simple.

Same stuff reheated over and over.  Funny thing is that many of the great quarterbacks in the Hall of Fame had mediocre passing completion stats. If stats won championships then guys like Dan Marino would have tons of lombardis.  Football is a team sport and results are measured in wins and losses not individual stats.  Cam is going to be the MVP because of how he makes everyone better and he took average to below receivers and made them into a very productive unit.

As long as we win the next 3 games I dont care who is statistically better.  I just want to keep winning.  I know Cam feels the same.   .

1 hour ago, fenderbender123 said:

This would actually be a good thing to point out as to why the 2 QBs are more similar than different. Russell Wilson has never had a solid pass-blocking O-line in his entire career with Seattle...arguably the worst in the league for long periods of time. And his WRs have been considered mediocre or "pedestrian" throughout his career as well....although that's more difficult to determine. But to sum it up he's never had a pro bowl offensive lineman (except for center Max Unger his first few years who was often injured, struggled with wild snaps, and is no longer on the team) or a pro-bowl receiver.

Russell and Cam both do amazing things for their offenses. Cam would probably be the only other QB in the NFL that could be successful on Seattle's offense, and vice versa, mostly due to their ability to mitigate poor pass blocking and keep defenses honest with their scrambling/rushing ability.

I'll prepare myself to get reemed here...but I think Russell Wilson throws a better ball...more accurate, better touch, etc. But in fairness, I don't watch Cam play every week...and while Wilson has shown he is strong enough to break tackles, I would give Cam the edge in difficulty to bring down, which is extremely underrated when people evaluate QBs. Breaking tackles is game-changing, plain and simple.

Quite honestly, don't think Russell is big, tall, or strong enough (along with reading defenses to Cam's level) to be able play with Panther OL and Receivers. This is especially true during Cam's first few years, which I'll explain in more detail below.

Remember, when Newton first came in the league (people always forget this): The Panther defense was awful (28th ranked). Newton threw for 4000+ yards; mostly from the pocket in very close games. Panthers were rarely blown out or behind. So Newton wasn't stat padding. As a matter of fact: Newton, sat some towards the end, when the Panthers were doing well.

Wilson couldn't do that IMO. And as we know, he was pretty much spoon fed the offense his first few years. Even Seattle fans admit that. This is why he was labeled a game manager (which is what some said about Cam his first year with new OC Shula, ironically). LOL. He got Shula during his 3rd season BTW. He was his QB coach, his first two seasons.

Although better after the 2nd half of his 2nd year. The Panther D continued to blow games late (regardless of their ranking), right up until first quarter of Newton's 3rd year. That's a fact. So he couldn't rely on them really his first 21/2 seasons. He was on his own. And that defense, lost him several 4th Qtr comebacks, and the game.

The Panther run game was also very inconsistent Newton's entire career (regardless of their ranking); only until this year in 2015. 

During Newton's rookie year, he threw for a bunch of yards his first few games, and that made the run game more accessible by the 2nd half of the season. By the end of the year, they started running it more, cause he had proven he could throw. Wilson never had to carry the load then (with Lynch and his defense), as Cam now. That's key. So I'm not sure I'd agree with you.

As far as throws (particularity in the pocket and under stress): The two throwing aren't even comparable IMO. This is where the aforementioned height and arm strength come in. However, Wilson does excel in floaters, particularly on the run vs Newton. So you can say he has more consistent touch. Can't argue with that.

Conversely: Newton throws in much more consistently  tighter windows than Wilson, and all over the field. This goes back to his rookie year. So yes; you really don't watch him enough IMO.

Let's face it. Wilson's throws mainly consist of: Quick hitters for 6-10 yards. Deep floaters off play action, and misdirection. In addition: He'll throw floaters while bootlegging, or on the run. That's where he's mostly successful (especially if you count his TD's).

No other passes he does better than Newton IMO, particularly from the pocket. Newton's bigger arm, taller height, bigger build, and ability to consistently throw into tight windows-in all type of coverage across the field-makes this a reality. And the fact that Newton, being better at Pre and Post Snap has taken him to another level as well. You mentioned Unger earlier.... Wasn't he the one doing the alignment for Wilson? And wasn't part of the reason he struggled early this season was because he didn't have Unger to read the defense pre-nap? That was Unger's job, not Wilson's.

The Seattle receivers have half the drop rate % of Carolina's, and are play makers. None of the Panther receivers are consistent play makers (then or now) like Bawldin, Locket, Golden Tate, and Percy Harvin-since departed-except a past his prime Steve Smith of course. So we beg to differ. But it's true. Seattle receivers currently possess half the drop rate of Carolina's, and is near the top. Carolina's receivers are near the bottom. Carolina receivers, are also near the bottom with  YAC as well.

Newton would have about 44 passing TD's, 4400 yards passing, and 5-7 INT's if not for SURE TD drops by his receivers (and drops that led to INT's). As crazy as that sounds. That's being conservative. Ted Ginn alone has about 5-7 (that would have been sure TD's).

Note: That's not counting overall, or regular drops in general (just the one's that would have led to TD's), or double counting.

TED Ginn, was even stripped of the football with his hip on the ground, and the refs called it an INT. LOL. Norwood had one that bounced off his chest at the 1 yrd line that was intercepted. So did Funchess. This doesn't include, 3-5 instances were Panther receivers fell, or were tackled at the 1 yd line during long runs. You could tack a few of those on as missed passing TD to (so don't hate when Cam ran a few of those in, that his receivers couldn't).  So no! LOL. Your receivers are much better, regardless of what yo think about them. Panther fans would kill to have Baldwin and Locket. However, Wilson didn't make Jimmy Graham better. Hell! They would kill to have him to,  across from Olsen (though many hate him for New Orleans).

That's my two cents on your thoughts FWIW.

Sorry for the long post (gulp)!.

3 minutes ago, FootballMaestro said:

Don't think Russell is big, tall, or strong enough (along with reading defenses) to be able play with Panther OL and Receivers.

Remember, when Newton first came in the league (people always forget this)? The Panther defense was awful (28th ranked). Newton threw for 4000+ yards; mostly from the pocket. Wilson couldn't do that IMO. And as we know, he was pretty much spoofed the offense his first few years. This is why he was labeled a game manager.

The Panther D (although better) continued to blow games late, regardless of their ranking, right up until first quarter of Newton's 3rd year. That's a fact. So he couldn't rely on them.

The Panther run game was also very inconsistent Newton's entire career (regardless of their ranking), until this year.  During Newton's rookie year, he threw for a bunch of yards his first few games, and that made the run game more accessible by the 2nd half of the season. By the end of the year, they started run it more, cause he had proven he could throw. Wilson never had to carry the load then, as Cam now. So I'm sure I'd agree with  you.

As far as throws (particularity in the pocket and under stress), the two throwing aren't even comparable IMO. This is where height and arm strengh come in. However, Wilson does excel in floaters, particular on the run vs Newton. So you can say he has more touch.

However, Newton throws in much more consistently in tighter windows than Wilson, all over the field. So yes; you really don't watch him enough.

Wilson's throws mainly consist of: Quick hitters for 6-10 yards. Deep floaters off play action, and misdirection. And floaters while bootlegging, or on the run.

That's my two cents.

No other passes he does better than Newton IMO, particularity from the pocket.

I think if you were to look up Wilson's passer rating from the pocket, YPA, and the time before getting pressured on pass plays throughout his career, it would alter your opinion a bit. If you watch some film, you should see that's he's pretty damn accurate when having to throw open a reciever from the pocket 10-20 yards down the field.

I don't disagree with a lot of your details on how the 2 QBs have had to operate on their respective teams. They play the game differently and have different skillsets, but my point was that they both know how to be successful in an offense with poor blocking and little to no weapons. In that regard, they can be seen as more similar than different.

This reminds me of Florio on WFNZ this morning claiming the Seahawks would win because they have something weird gping on and are lucky. I don't understand why a station would pay that nitwit to come and give that as an analysis. He is a professional annoyer and that is it.

46 minutes ago, fenderbender123 said:

I think if you were to look up Wilson's passer rating from the pocket, YPA, and the time before getting pressured on pass plays throughout his career, it would alter your opinion a bit. If you watch some film, you should see that's he's pretty damn accurate when having to throw open a reciever from the pocket 10-20 yards down the field.

I don't disagree with a lot of your details on how the 2 QBs have had to operate on their respective teams. They play the game differently and have different skillsets, but my point was that they both know how to be successful in an offense with poor blocking and little to no weapons. In that regard, they can be seen as more similar than different.

I actually tried to write a nice response to you, and it got lost into the Internet Ether. LOL

Dag. LOL

So I'll just say what I was going to at the end.

Though the statistics may come out similar. And both being labelled Dual Threat QB's. Newton and Wilson, play the game vastly different visually (with some general similarities).

I'll let you try to remember, or figure how (visually) they play vastly different. I.e.: Newton plays like the historically, tall, big armed, drop back stoic QB. And Wilson more like the smaller guy, who needs more motion, space, and quick release in order to prosper. Of course, Newton can run or scamper when he needs to, with his speed, power, vision, and moves/jukeability. He just doesn't do it, or needs to do it as often.

Nonetheless; thanks.

Archived