• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How long will A.J. be the third QB?

Carl Spackler

To hear him talk inthe Observer, it sounds like Feeley is miles away from being ready to play. I am really, really hoping that Fox doesn't shoehorn him in there regardless of whether it's the right move or not.

(sadly, that is my expectation)

What's giving you/Fox/Observer the idea he's not ready? Just curious.

What's giving you/Fox/Observer the idea he's not ready? Just curious.

New Panthers backup quarterback A.J. Feeley said Wednesday he's begun a "crash course" to learn the offense after signing Tuesday and that there's a huge difference between Carolina's scheme and Philadelpha's West Coast offense.

"It's foreign to me," Feeley said of the Panthers' offense. "Obviously, there are different philosophies, the verbage, different routes, different schools of thought.

"I'm on a little (bit of an) information overload right now, but it'll come as the days progress."

(link)

New Panthers backup quarterback A.J. Feeley said Wednesday he's begun a "crash course" to learn the offense after signing Tuesday and that there's a huge difference between Carolina's scheme and Philadelpha's West Coast offense.

"It's foreign to me," Feeley said of the Panthers' offense. "Obviously, there are different philosophies, the verbage, different routes, different schools of thought.

"I'm on a little (bit of an) information overload right now, but it'll come as the days progress."

I imagine it won't take long for him to get settled in with our offense. We only have about 10 or so passing plays we run on a regular basis, and I think even A.J. can handle that. With that said though, I don't think he should be moved up to the number 2 at all.

To hear him talk inthe Observer, it sounds like Feeley is miles away from being ready to play. I am really, really hoping that Fox doesn't shoehorn him in there regardless of whether it's the right move or not.

(sadly, that is my expectation)

You are right on. Even Feeley knows he is not close to being ready. At this point he would be only good as an emergency backup. Moore is a much better option, which is frankly a little scary at this point.

I imagine it won't take long for him to get settled in with our offense. We only have about 10 or so passing plays we run on a regular basis, and I think even A.J. can handle that. With that said though, I don't think he should be moved up to the number 2 at all.

You realize that your logic is simplistic to the point of being ridiculous. Our offense is about alot more than 10 pass plays. On every pass play there are several options available based on how the defense lines up. We also have several options to throw to different folks out of each formation. Feeley doesn't even know the playbook let alone all the variations. This offense is completely different from a WCO.

You realize that your logic is simplistic to the point of being ridiculous. Our offense is about alot more than 10 pass plays. On every pass play there are several options available based on how the defense lines up. We also have several options to throw to different folks out of each formation. Feeley doesn't even know the playbook let alone all the variations. This offense is completely different from a WCO.

Yeah I realize there is probably a few hundred different variations of things that goes on in the playbook but it just seems like we don't use them all. The West Coast offense is much more complex in terms of passing routes/formations and such compared to our offense, but mainly the terminology is probably so different it is like learning Japanese.

I had to watch some of A.J. Feeley's old highlights (not many) to see if he was able to check out of a play or make adjustments at the line and he did a few times. I don't know if he will have that kind of flexibility with our offense.

Archived