• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

SI: Stephanie Rivera opens up about husband Ron’s success with Panthers

GRWatcher

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/01/29/ron-rivera-stephanie-rivera-panthers-super-bowl-50-cam-newton

A Super Bowl coach who doesn’t have to live and breath the game every waking moment? I knew I liked this guy, even if he can’t always manage total command of his remote control.

“So he’s hoping he can say ‘Look, this is how we did it and we’re still successful.’ It is about family. Some of these guys work crazy hours, and you know what? It really isn’t necessary. You’ve got the game plan, the guys are going to absorb it, and that’s all you can do. You don’t need to be in your office at 4 in the morning or stay overnight. Get your work done, and then just coach ‘em up when you have them. Hopefully that can be the new trend.”

Please read the article before posting. 

Did not know this part...

“On NFL Network it did say we were supposed to be fired that year, and I remember some of our coaches went to Ron and said, ‘Coach, are we fired?’” Stephanie recalled, sounding every bit the coach. “And he said, ‘What are you taking about? I haven’t even met with the owner yet. Those are the things that just drives you nuts, because there are a lot of families that are involved in these decisions.

“What we were worried about was we wouldn’t get the time to turn it around. Because Ron knew he had the main pieces in place. He had the base. He had the quarterback (in Cam Newton) and an All-Pro center (Ryan Kalil), and then there were leaders on defense in (linebackers) Luke (Keuchly) and TD (Thomas Davis). We’re just so thankful that (Panthers owner) Mr. (Jerry) Richardson saw the upward trend, and the fact that no matter what, Ron never lost the locker room. Even at the lowest point, the guys were there for him, and a lot of them, when it seemed we could have been fired, went to Mr. Richardson personally and talked to him about Ron as a coach.”

Good to know.

Great article. For me, it's just another example that this is the Panthers' time to win the Super Bowl. This stuff about Manning deserving to win in his last game wouldn't move me even if I weren't a Panther fan. First, he may not even retire, and second, he's won a SB and was the MVP. He should have hung up his spikes two years ago when he was at the top of his game. 

Apparently she was pissed at the Observer along with many here.

“We talk about this all the time, but how can one person, some lady from Tennessee who has a five-second interaction with our quarterback, and then draw all these conclusions about him as a person,” Stephanie said. “They post it in the paper and now suddenly what she says about him is true? It’s really offensive to us that she has this platform to criticize him on five seconds of dancing

“What we were worried about was we wouldn’t get the time to turn it around. Because Ron knew he had the main pieces in place. He had the base. He had the quarterback (in Cam Newton) and an All-Pro center (Ryan Kalil), and then there were leaders on defense in (linebackers) Luke (Keuchly) and TD (Thomas Davis). We’re just so thankful that (Panthers owner) Mr. (Jerry) Richardson saw the upward trend, and the fact that no matter what, Ron never lost the locker room. 

The Browns should really take some notes about giving a coach some time.

Archived