• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Analyzing Delhomme's Interceptions

MurkN

Thanks guys I'll have to do some more analysis on these plays throughout the season. I added some pictures for the third interception to my first post. Here is another one that was actually successful.

For anyone thinking that Jarrett can't get open here is an example.

fekrro.png

On this play, I'm guessing Delhomme only reads the right side of the field. He looks in the direction of Moose and Williams as the play develops and eventually drops it off to Williams.

Jarrett was on the other side of the field and got open on the out route. If Jake would have seen this, Jarrett had a shot at his big catch and maybe even his first touchdown as we were down in the redzone.

It just seems to me that Jake only goes through the first two progressions in a play. Once he drops back he looks on one side of the field and then goes down the list through his progression for that side. It was either take a chance at Moose or dump it off to Williams on that play.

Not that I don't appreciate the breakdown, but what was the result of this 3 step drop pass play, and when is it going to look like a right handed QB is scanning the left half of the field on the first cross step backwards?

Its easy to look at a play and see whats right or wrong when you have had 3 days.

Try 3 seconds.....

However, people bitch when Smith DOESNT get the ball, and at the 1/2 he only had 2 receptions.

Now if your a QB, and your behind, and there is a STAR WR who has carried your team before- WHY WOULD YOU NOT try to get him the ball.

Jake gets it both ways; if he doesnt throw to Smith he gets crap, and when he trys to let Smith carry the team and it doesnt work out, he is an ass. But when it does, its SMITH bailing Jake out...

Its just a Jake thing with folks. But in reality its football.

The coaches will call plays for their playmakers when the game is at stake.

For all we know Davidson said; you will get Smith the ball....

Blahhh. Blahh... Blahh....

The game is over... we lost, look forward to Sunday.....

But that's what this is...blah blah blah.

Good job on the Jarrett analysis and my first reaction is that Jake has to recognize presnap that they will have a LB on a WR. To me thats a mismatch even if Jarrett is a little slow. Jake should know that he is running the quick out and with a linebacker in bad position presnap it should be there. Maybe he just doesn't trust Jarrett, the throw he made could have easily been stopped if it weren't for Wiliams being an outstanding football player.

Then again he never even looked that way so maybe it was set up to be a quick route to Wiliams.

That's a pretty significant point there. He should have noticed that, but didn't. Makes you wonder just how many pre-snap checks he really does...

In addition it does start to seem like he genuinely only checks one side of the field. So if the opposing D can get enough info from tape on our plays and the primary/secondary receivers, then they can pretty much cancel out a coupe of routes and focus on the main two. It seems that recently teams have been jumping several routes...

Yep, he has gotten into a bad habit and has not evolved his game. The elite QBs grow and change because they understand the other team watches film too. It seems Fox is guilty of not evolving either...

Lots of QBs start out pretty good taking care of the ball and making good decisions as time goes on some get shell shocked, happy feet , tunnel vision just to name a few. The good organizations realize and see this and they cut or trade said perpetrator, Panthers FO turns around and signs their problem for mo money.

The poor decisions around here ain't only coming from the QB.

If Matt Moore has been in the system for several years and management still doesn't trust him to be our #2 , whats he still doing on the roster.

Either he has it or he don't. Move him up or move on.

One quick point. If you are going to have 2-3 seconds to throw the ball with guys in your face, how many progressions can you go through. It takes 2 seconds for the receivers to run the route. Anyone think he can go through his progressions in less than a second and still deliver the ball on target. You often have to segment the field in order to find anyone open. Guys who are going through 3 or four progressions are getting 4 or 5 seconds to throw. How many times did Jake get that on Sunday?

There were uncovered receivers all day long. I pointed several out to my wife. And it seemed that the coverage flowed to wherever Smith was, leaving more people open.

If anybody has the game recorded, look at the TD in the 1st qtr. After the false start, we lined up on the 6 yd line. Moose was uncovered, just throw a quick slant/out and it's a footrace between him and the safety. Smith was lined up outside, so Moose could have run behind his block. What did we do? Call a time out.

One quick point. If you are going to have 2-3 seconds to throw the ball with guys in your face, how many progressions can you go through. It takes 2 seconds for the receivers to run the route. Anyone think he can go through his progressions in less than a second and still deliver the ball on target. You often have to segment the field in order to find anyone open. Guys who are going through 3 or four progressions are getting 4 or 5 seconds to throw. How many times did Jake get that on Sunday?

He got that on 3 of the 4 interceptions. We have got to drop the oline crap and the pressure in his face crap because there was none. On 3 of the 4 INT's Jake had a nice pocket and was even able to step into the throw. I understand that he got hit and got sacked and YES the oline didn't play well. But they did block well on those 3 INT's and the result was all Jake. A NFL QB is not going to get a perfect pocket or perfect protection everytime but they need to be able to see that presnap and get the ball out quick, throw it away, or take a sack.

Archived