• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Top Roster Questions at each position

#1 SF: With Batum going into FA - Will a MAX contract be enough to keep him here?
In the outgoing interview he mentioned unfinished business and that he was happy with his role on the team. With MKG coming back, Batum could be interested to see how it all shakes out and slide back to SG. I think he wants to really and truly compete for a ring and might jump ship - but he said he'd give us the first shot at signing him.

The market on SFs: LINK
[Bazemore, Deng and Jeff Green are others worth mentioning of Batum leaves.]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 C: The grand-daddy of them all - Do we keep Al on a friendly contract or throw MAX money at Whiteside AND/OR Howard?
I believe we FIRST try to get Whiteside away from Miami but he won't leave I'm sure. SECOND we will probably offer a MAX to Howard - I hope the way the season ended in Houston gave us enough leverage to not Have to offer MAX money- but I'm sure that's what it would take.

The market on Cs: LINK
[Festus Ezeli, Ian Mahinmi and BIZ are other options.]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#3 Backup PG: Lin will most definitely opt out, but does he absolutely NEED to be retained??
The team didn't lose much when Lin came in off the bench - he controlled the O and was great at drawing fouls. He also brings in the Chinese attention and $$$. For a small market team - it's a no brainer. I think Lin found a home here - he has been the whipping boy on so many other teams. 

Besides, the market for backup PGs is mediocre at best: LINK
[Ty Lawson, Mo Williams and Chalmers are other backup options.]

#4 SG: With Courtney Lee going into FA - Will he be willing to come back OR run off to a title contender?
I think he would only stay if we offered him a decent contract, however our #1 priority will be to lock up Batum first. He would have to wait until we address Batum, Lin and the vacancy at Center. If Batum were to come back and slide to SG (making room for MKG at SF), Lee will probably be good as gone.

The market on SGs: LINK
[Eric Gordon, OJ Mayo and Kevin Martin are others.]

#5 PF: There are 2 PFs worth looking at - Horford & Gasol - If we can't sign either, does Marvin headline our PF list?
Marvin has already stated he wants to come back as well. Even though he had a career year - This gives us a lot of leverage when discussing a deal. I don't see this not working out. However, by the time Batum/Lin/Center position get dealt with - the money could be all gone. Frank seemed to come around late in the season as well - which might make Marvin expendable.

The market on PFs: LINK
[Ryan Anderson is the only other worth mentioning but he hasn't been healthy in years.]

When all is said and done - I think we will have re-signed Batum and Howard to MAX contracts - Lin to about $6 mil @ year - Marvin to about $5 mil @ year - Courtney Lee walks. We will have to make room my unloading Hawes and cutting Harrison. Jordan hasn't been afraid to spend $$$ on the proper players. Batum is a given and if we have the chance to add Howard - we have to bring him in. Kemba/Batum/Howard might not be CP3/Blake/DeAndre but it isn't bad by any means - and in the East, we could give the Cavs a good series.

PG - Kemba, Lin
SG - Batum, Lamb
SF - MKG, FA
PF - Marvin, Frank
C - Howard, Zeller

Im on the fence about Dwight. Our team chemistry was fantastic this season and I'm afraid he could fug that up. 

Batum isn't a max player, but at the same time he is the guy Kemba has been needing next to him for awhile now. So you either let him walk and look elsewhere or you overpay and have your SG for the next 3-5 years.

Ultimately I believe Marvin, Lee and Lin all need to be retained. I'd keep Al if he is willing to play for less then 6-7 million a season. If not then fug it go get Dwight. 

I'd also look into packaging Zeller with our first rounder into moving up in the first to get a legit rebounder. 

1. Batum wants to stay. I don't know if the market will dictate he's a max guy, but I think we keep him around.

2. Neither. Would rather have Joakim Noah. We tried a Whiteside experiment in Lance two years ago under similar circumstances and it crashed and burned. Having learned their lesson, I doubt they go that direction. If Miami doesn't go after Durant, Hassan will stay there.

If we actually wanted Howard as badly as rumors indicate we would have offered more than Al+Hawes at the deadline. I think he could have a small renaissance here but I dont think he fits the locker room.

3. We have all the leverage on Lin. He loves it here and for the right price I'd love to have him back. Depends on what he wants to do as far as money vs. comfort.

4. Would like to have Lee back but we already extended Lamb and if we assume MKG finally stays healthy then Lee will be reduced to a bench role. I think we dump Lamb and try to bring Lee back since he is looking for some stability after being traded constantly during his career.

4. I'd be wary of bringing Marvin back on an above market deal if for no other reason than Frank has now started in the playoffs and if he is your stretch four of the future then Marvin doesn't need to be that stopgap anymore. He made starter money this year so who knows what happens here.

I appreciate your hard work BP, but I don't agree with your offseason at all, haha. Cho has always preached flexibility since he arrived, and signing two max deals especially to guys like Batum and Howard just isn't fiscally responsible.

Sign: Lin, Batum, Lee, Noah, Daniels, various benchwarmers to get to 14.

Walk: Marvin

Trade: Lamb

Draft: Taurean Prince, SF, Baylor

Kemba-Lin-FA

Batum-Lee-Harrison-Daniels

MKG-Prince

Frank-Hawes-FA

Noah-Zeller-FA

6 hours ago, cbarrier90 said:

I appreciate your hard work BP, but I don't agree with your offseason at all, haha. Cho has always preached flexibility since he arrived, and signing two max deals especially to guys like Batum and Howard just isn't fiscally responsible.

Thanks

After just now watching Cliffs exit interview - we will HAVE to disagree.. he stresses that we are a 4 and out team (4 shooters around a big man down low). He took a lot of time to talk about how we were out rebounded badly in all of our losses to MIA. "It was the main reason, not the shooting" - Cliff's words.

He also talked about how Al's knee just wasn't healthy all season and that he still thought he had a great year = I call BS on that and that Cliff was just talking him up. Cliff mentioned he wasn't what he was 2 years ago [which seems like forever]. Charles Barkley once said, "As an aging NBA player - You don't get healthier. You get old and die." We all love Al and what he has done for us but he is done in my opinion and Cliff knows that he will never be the guy he was 2 years ago.

Now, where we disagree is that Cho won't shell out the coin to get Batum and Howard here. I disagree because that flexibility-talk was for when we sucked. We wanted flexibility to be able to make a potential medium/big move. This is the big move. You don't waste the chance to get Dwight so you can maintain flexibility. You strike! Kemba, Batum and Howard will be huge.

Besides, MJ has started to force his way back into Cho's office I think. He isn't the full blown captain of the ship we all thought he was a year or 2 ago.

As for Lee and I do believe Batum, we have their "Bird Rights" which means we can resign them to contract and if we go over the cap, it won't count against us. So if Cho and Co. wanted to give Batum close to or max contract then resign Lee, then we locked up Lin, plus whoever we went after, we could go over the salary cap and not be penalized for it.

Batum may not be a "max guy", but the new inflated salary cap allows for him to be one. Couple that with the fact that this free agency class is super top heavy with not a lot of depth, Batum will get paid. If not by us, by someone else. We'll miss him a lot if he leaves. I don't think that it's a coincidence that Kemba had by far his best year the one year he played with Batum.

My priorities:

1. We re-sign Batum, there's no way we don't do that

2. Sign a defensive center. It is very obvious that we need one, I'm not even going to bother elaborating. Howard would be fine, but certainly not for the max, and only like on a 2 year deal. I'm thinking either Joakim Noah or Mozgov for this spot. Neither would be very expensive or command to play in crunch time (if we want to go small). Both would have a chance to revitalize their careers.

3. I would definitely let Jefferson walk, I can't watch him play anymore. The only time he contributes positively to anything is when he scores 25 off the bench, which has happened what, 3 times. I like him a lot for the locker room and as a guy, but it's time.

4. Resign Lee. I know we have Lamb (who I also like quite a bit, think he just needs consistent minutes), but you can never have too many good players. I would trade Lamb if something half decent came along, but if not having too many good players at a spot is a very good problem to have.

5. Re-sign Marvin and Lin if the price is right. Lin is either amazing, or he disappears and is a huge negative. I definitely wouldn't pay him a ton of money, he just isn't worth it. Marvin is similar in this respect, he always plays good defense, but sometimes he'll disappear. I would re-sign him for a small raise, but if he wants big money then good luck sir, you were a lot of fun to watch this year.

6. Fill out the bench, we will have a draft pick (who I am not even going to try and guess who it will be) and I'd resign Daniels and Gutierrez.

Kemba / Lin / Gutierrez 

Batum / Lamb / Harrison 

MKG / Lee / Daniels

Marv / Frank / Hansbrough

Mozgov / Zeller / Hawes

1 hour ago, carolina-chuck2 said:

That looks like a team fighting for the no 8 seed the last two weeks of next season. 

Don't see how we'll be better than Chicago, Mil, or Washington

But yet that lineup is better then what we had this season and we tied for the third best record in the East. Chicago is getting older, Milwaukee is a huge question mark and Washington probably won't make any significant upgrades, I don't see why that team couldn't compete for a top 4 seed in the East

i think everyone needs to go listen to Cliff and Cho's exit interviews on Hornets.com and read between the lines/comments - we are going after Howard this offseason, right after we sign Batum to a Max deal.. and don't say Batum isn't worth Max money - we friggin offered max money to Gordon Hayward a season ago!! Batum will get a huge contract because of the rising Cap and TV money, just accept it..

Rebounding, shot blocking? Don't want to break the bank? Want to keep the core players from this year intact?  Hmmmmmmmm.......why not Biyombo? That's all Biz does 

I think Howard has grown up a lot but he or Whiteside may not fit with the great locker room chemistry this squad has. Keep Kody and Frank and add Biz, you've got defense and offense at C and the locker room rejoices. 

Your welcome

On 5/3/2016 at 1:15 PM, cbarrier90 said:

2. Neither. Would rather have Joakim Noah. We tried a Whiteside experiment in Lance two years ago under similar circumstances and it crashed and burned. Having learned their lesson, I doubt they go that direction. If Miami doesn't go after Durant, Hassan will stay there.

20 hours ago, Omega Atrocity said:

2.  but certainly not for the max, and only like on a 2 year deal. I'm thinking either Joakim Noah or Mozgov for this spot. 

yes, yes, yes. 

Guys I understand Dwight was a top 5 player in the league.....years ago. Now he is truly a team cancer. Everywhere he goes he leaves the team in absolute disarray. Players hate playing with him. He's a whiner and we have an amazing locker room. For the love of all that is holy please don't go after Howard. 

My plan:

Re-sign Batum (probably to a max), try to re-sign Marvin and Lin.

Aggressively pursue Noah. 

Draft someone at 22 who has an NBA ready skill i.e. shooting or rebounding.  

Archived