• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bunchess of Delvin: The Next "BIG" Thing?

Saca312

Bunchess of Delvin: The Next "BIG" Thing?

Without Kelvin Benjamin, a mediocre WR corps, on paper, led by Cam Newton, astonished the league with a 15-1 regular season record. A group of Ginn, Cotchery, Brown, and Funchess was viewed by the media as your local highschool's practice squad corps. Yet, in all the doubt and criticism, they brought the Panthers to the Superb Owl. 

With Kelvin coming back this season, and Funchess growing and learning at a rapid pace, would it be safe to say that the next big tandem in the NFL could emerge in these two giants? Would having these two players in our offense be the key to getting a Lombardy this year in 51?

image.png

At A Glance: The Twin Towers

The Rise of Benjamin and Funchess

image.jpeg

Funchess emerged late in the season, getting 30 receptions for 400 plus yards and 5 touchdowns. In one single game against the Bucs in Week 17, he was able to amass 7 receptions for 120 yards and 1 touchdown. He showed up late as a red-zone threat, making some good plays. 

image.gif

image.gif

Plus, I'll always remember that week 17 game from this insane pass that he caught that nearly gave me a heart attack on the stands.

image.gif

His development just seems to only be improving with each passing day. 

With all the hype about him being a "Kelvin Benjamin" in OTAs, how could one not be excited about this kid? I mean, just look at this little clip from Voth:

He's a great player with a huge upside. There's no doubt in my mind he's going to be a monster next year. Just imagining two Kelvin Benjamin's on the field is making me drool...or maybe it's cause I've been staring at this picture all day.

image.jpeg

(Gettleman in his youth)

Now, in comes Kelvin Benjamin.

image.jpeg

WR Kelvin Benjamin had a monstrous rookie season in 2014, getting 73 receptions for 1008 yards and 9 touchdowns. His ability to bully corners and grab passes with corners all over him made him a sensation. He forces teams to double team him. This gif shows you how he deals with those:

image.gif

Kelvin is also fantastic in the red-zone, calling it his "playground." With the run threat of Cam, Tolbert, Stew/DeAngelo, paired with Olsen and Kelvin, defenses had so many pieces to account for, and Kelvin took advantage of that.

These kind of catches are what you can expect from him, in the red-zone or wherever:

image.gifimage.gifimage.gif

Kelvin Benjamin was a huge asset then. Before his ACL injury, he showed some great promise and development in the preseason. There's no doubt in my mind Kelvin's coming back this year better than ever.

The Possibilities: A Defensive Nightmare

Plug in a 2016 offense with a Kelvin Benjamin clone in Funchess, with an improved and hungry Kelvin Benjamin 2.0, and you've got yourself a team, not to mention Olsen, the speed threats in Ginn and Hill, and of course the Cam/Tol-dozer/Stew run threat, defenses have a lot of work on their hands to contain this hungry offense juggernaut, not to mention the red-zone implications.

Now imagine this simple 3 WR set. You've got Funchess and Kelvin lined up on offense, with Ginn/Hill as your Speed Factor. 

You getting hard yet?

Now add in Olsen to this dangerous mix, and it's a defensive nightmare. Just imagine what defenders have to do. They have to account for Kelvin, who makes the secondary look like rag-dolls from the dollar store, Olsen, an amazing TE who'd give you a run for your money, Funchess, Kelvin's clone who's still learning, and Ginn/Hill, forcing the defense respect their speed and threat. Oh, and of course you've got the reigning MVP, Cam, as QB.

image.jpeg

Kelvin Benjamin and Olsen both demand double teams in order for them to be stopped, and they even are able to evade those. Just imagine having Funchess come in as well, demanding a double team as well, with his progression as a Kelvin Benjamin clone. How in the world are defenses going to be able to stop this? Kelvin Benjamin and Devin Funchess, two massive sized WR's, with amazing play-making ability. If Funchess and Benjamin prove to have drastically improved since their rookie seasons, well, every defense in the NFL is screwed.

If that doesn't make you excited about this group, I don't know what will.

Now the red-zone implications. Add Funchess and/or Kelvin in the equation, and Olsen, and you've got yourself a red-zone nightmare. Just take a look at this 22 personel grouping.

image.png

Now have Funchess lined up as a possible hybrid TE in place of Dickson, Kelvin, and Olsen, with Tolbert, Cam, and Stew loaded and ready. It's a blood-bath waiting to happen. Defenses are just going to have to somehow account for everyone, since everyone poses as a threat. 

Just saying, it won't be easy for any defense to stop this.

With all the other possible plays and combinations you could come up with this group, the sky's the limit as to how far this offense will go. Funchess and Benjamin will prove to be a fantastic duo. Defenses everywhere will shriek and cry-out in agony as these monsters bully them into submission.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

To Conclude

The fact of the matter is this: our offense is going to do wonders with both Funchess and Benjamin in the mix. The play possibilities are endless, and their presence on the field will demand attention from the defense. They've both improved and learned from their rookie career so I fully expect them to come out better than ever, and become the next NFL tandem. 

So, Superb Owl? I think so.

image.jpeg

Just now, juliosantos said:

GOING TO  BE A GREAT COMBO . OUR OFFENSE WILL BE MUCH BETTER THAN LAST YEAR EVEN THOUGH WE WERE #1 IN SCORING , I THINK WE CAN REPEAT THAT AND ALSO BECOME #1 IN YARDS AS WELL 

Bruh, louder I can't hear you!

:)

Great post. Just two things... Funch is not a KB clone. They're built differently and have different styles of play. Which is actually a better thing. Having different style players who can both dominate on the field at the same time is a nightmare for defenses. Also, Funch won't line up as a tight end. They've seemed to be pretty clear in saying he's strictly a wide receiver. Absolutely will be utilized in the redzone w/ KB but likely not on the line.

21 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

Great post. Just two things... Funch is not a KB clone. They're built differently and have different styles of play. Which is actually a better thing. Having different style players who can both dominate on the field at the same time is a nightmare for defenses. Also, Funch won't line up as a tight end. They've seemed to be pretty clear in saying he's strictly a wide receiver. Absolutely will be utilized in the redzone w/ KB but likely not on the line.

Good points. Funchess is unique in his own way, but his skill level is catching up to be similar to Kelvin, hence the "clone" aspect. He's got some Kelvin characteristics in him, but he's got his own quickness and spark to it. I was comparing that analysis with reports of him looking a lot like Kelvin in OTA's. For your second point, I was just stating a possibility. I heard he used to be a hybrid TE/WR in college. Not sure how his blocking works out, but I can see him being in that role somehow in some surprise plays. But it's more likely, as you said, that he'll be utilized as a WR somehow with KB. 

Archived