• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

No way the 22nd for Belinelli is just the 22nd for Belinelli...NO WAY

Wundrbread33

Something else is going on, and me thinks we are getting a big.

I just feel like if it were as simple as the 22nd for Belinelli...the whole situation would not be left so ambiguous.

I think the guys at Hornets Planet are on to something.

What do you guys think?

I'm not the most well-versed in the NBA salary cap conditions, but isn't it true that you can't take on salary if you are over the salary cap? If so, wouldn't we have to send salary out in this exchange? 

I still do think that this deal isn't just about getting Belinelli for the 22nd pick. There will be more to it and they have a plan in mind.

13 hours ago, HeatCheck said:

I'm not the most well-versed in the NBA salary cap conditions, but isn't it true that you can't take on salary if you are over the salary cap? If so, wouldn't we have to send salary out in this exchange? 

I still do think that this deal isn't just about getting Belinelli for the 22nd pick. There will be more to it and they have a plan in mind.

We're the ones sending salary out, and we are well under the 2016-17 salary cap (everyone except the Cavs is well under, it went up $20 million). 22 for Belinelli is a perfectly legal trade.

5 minutes ago, Omega Atrocity said:

We're the ones sending salary out, and we are well under the 2016-17 salary cap (everyone except the Cavs is well under, it went up $20 million). 22 for Belinelli is a perfectly legal trade.

I thought with our cap holds on our FAs, we are over. 

If we renounced some of our free agents, sure we'd have room to spend.

32 minutes ago, HeatCheck said:

I thought with our cap holds on our FAs, we are over. 

If we renounced some of our free agents, sure we'd have room to spend.

We are definitely not over, we have max cap space (as does almost every team in the league). The cap is $94 million, we were capped last year, but the cap skyrocketed (or technically will on July 1st).

Don't our cap holds include:

Jefferson $20 million, Batum $19 million, Lee $10 million, Williams $9 million, Lin $2 million

I know all about the rising salary cap, but I'm 99% positive with our committed salary + our cap holds, we are over the cap.

Like I said, I'm not the most well-versed in the NBA salary cap but I'm pretty sure we can't sign other FAs without renouncing (or them signing elsewhere) some of our own FAs. Just don't know how cap holds apply to the trade we were just involved in.

44 minutes ago, HeatCheck said:

Don't our cap holds include:

Jefferson $20 million, Batum $19 million, Lee $10 million, Williams $9 million, Lin $2 million

I know all about the rising salary cap, but I'm 99% positive with our committed salary + our cap holds, we are over the cap.

Like I said, I'm not the most well-versed in the NBA salary cap but I'm pretty sure we can't sign other FAs without renouncing (or them signing elsewhere) some of our own FAs. Just don't know how cap holds apply to the trade we were just involved in.

They all come off the books July 1 - and that's when the trade will become official.. so NO we are not over the cap

get over it - we traded #22 for Belineli straight up

10 minutes ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

They all come off the books July 1 - and that's when the trade will become official.. so NO we are not over the cap

get over it - we traded #22 for Belineli straight up

What do I have to get over? I'm ok with the trade.

You don't know how cap holds work clearly. 

After more research, here's what I found:

If it's just Marco for the 22nd pick:

Then yes (like I expected), we would have to renounce some of our FAs because we don't have the space to take on his contract on his own. Yes, I know were sending out a player as well, but were taking on about $5 million. Renouncing Jefferson would be a no-brainer.

If it's Marco for the 22nd pick + another Hornet:

We wouldn't have to renounce our FAs to complete the trade.

Archived