• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What we LOST / What we GAINED

bLACKpANTHER

First you have to take a look at the projected roster to understand some of my comparisons/predictions:

Kemba -- Sessions
Batum --- Belinelli
MKG ----- Lamb
Marvin --- Frank
Zeller ----- Hibbert

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Al Jefferson - 12 ppg - 10.7 fg att- 6.4 rpg - 0.9 blk
Roy Hibbert - 5.9 ppg - 5.1 fg att - 4.9 rpg - 1.4 blk

Comparison - Comparing the two is tough because their games are so different. Al is a scorer in the post and Roy is a defensive shot blocker/rebounder. As you can see from FGs attempted - Al was taking double the shots Roy took - hence the disparity in PPG. Al played as one of the key pieces on a playoff team; where as Roy played on a team that was all about helping Kobe 'get buckets'. Both averaged just over 23 minutes per game but the numbers obviously favor Al. It will be interesting to see how Roy bounces back from a forgettable season in LA, unless you are the Mamba.

Prediction - At the absolute minimum Hibbert's role will be to come in on that 2nd unit and control the paint while Sessions operates with Frank in the pick and roll - kicking it out to Belinelli and finding Lamb cutting to the basket. Roy can do that in his sleep, but if he blossoms under Patrick Ewing and finds his old self again - he could work his way into the starting rotation. I predict a bounce back year for Hibbert where he put up numbers close to a double-double: 8 ppg - 8 rpg - 1.5 bpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

J. Lin - 11.7 ppg - 3 apg - 3 rpg - .336 3pt%
Sessions - 9.9 ppg - 3 apg - 2.5 rpg - .324 3pt%

Comparison - These two are very comparable. Both have the same type of game - quickly slither past the defense and finish at the cup, get fouled or kick it out to an open shooter. Although Lin had slightly better numbers - Session's PER is actually higher than Lin's - probably because Lin played 6 more minute a game on average. Both know how to get to the FT line too - averaging 3.5 attempts a game. Both shoot the 3 Ball sufficiently enough to get by. The eye test is what separates them IMO - and Lin seemed to really help Kemba in big games - time will tell if Sessions can truly help.

Prediction - Sessions will obviously be coming off the bench to give Kemba a breather and operate the 2nd unit. I have seen Sessions play off the ball with Kemba at the point, but I don't see Sessions getting those closing game minutes that Lin would get. Clifford will want MKG and Batum on the floor for their defensive purposes down the stretch, however, if he needs a scorer to come in off the bench - I see Belinelli being that guy before Sessions. I predict another solid year from Ramon though, as true professional: 11 ppg - 3.5 apg - 3 rpg

C. Lee - 9.6 ppg - 1.7 apg - 2.6 rpg
Belinelli - 10.2 ppg - 1.9 apg - 1.7 rpg 

Comparison - Another tough one to call because the difference in styles of play. Lee is a 3&D guy (shoot the open 3 and play tough defense) while Belinelli is a spot up shooter who plays defense 'sparingly' to say the least. He is a smart enough defender to be in the right place at the right time but lack of effort to grit it out and force the ball out of the defender's hands just isn't there. My last memory of Lee was just being a bulldog vs D.Wade in the playoffs - so it's tough. The hope is Belinelli also suffered from playing in a dumpster in Sac-town and he will brighten up on a playoff contender.

Prediction - I think the coaching staff really likes Belinelli's shooting ability (they have gone after him in offseasons before) and will let him know he has the green light to shoot. He will probably be that first or second guy off the bench to come in and spark the team in scoring. The teams perimeter defense might suffer, but with Hibbert guarding the rim the overall team defense won't be as bad. I predict that Belinelli will actually have a career year in scoring with us: 12 ppg - 1.5 apg - 2.5 rpg

I think the Hornets did a solid job. They got the guys on top of their list, lost a couple good ones and saved free agency with the Sessions and Hibbert additions.

Can't be mad at the value they got out this FA period. If Hibbert plays anything near the level he did for Indy he starts and I can't say there was an NBA 5 on the roster until now.

I don't like the Lee vs Belinelli comparison. Lee was brought in to be a starter and replace the D we were lacking without MKG. Belinelli is coming in to be a 3 point marksman off the bench. Pretty much the roll he played while in San Antonio. This is the reason Lin played a large roll was because our depth at the 2 was pretty bad. Batum was signed to play the 2 guard and was forced to move to forward when MKG went down.

I know a bunch of you don't want to hear it, but It seems the Hornets are banking their success on a healthy MKG.

If MKG can stay healthy and continue to improve we may actually have something special here. And if we manage to make the second round or better this year who knows who we might sign next offseason to push us over the top.

Archived