• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Network, Playbook comments on the Panthers

raleigh-panther

Well, the tape don't lie.

Billick and the other commentator, like the guy, just can't remember his name, usually their guy who does the draft analysis, broke down the Panthers special teams mistakes and the defensives mistakes.

Special teams, showed the L5 coverage guy, and the R5 and R4 coverage guys totally not covering their assignments which, in essence, left the entire middle of the field open.

Billick commented that the mistakes made by those 3 players are not mistakes a high school special team would make.

Two highlights of blown coverage by the free safety, Godfrey.

One of Gamble backing up at the goal line instead of locking down on the receiver.

There were others.

No discussion of the obvious breakdowns in run coverage.

It is just very interesting to see people who know something about the game, breaking down film that shows the obvious mistakes and basically said we are not a team built to come back and these types of mistakes, highlighting special teams strongly, put the Panthers in hole they can not recover from. Obvious statement there, but, the film breakdown, very very telling.

Gamble was probably used to giving a 10 yard cushion on the receiver, and just forgot they were in goal line.

This was the most frustrating play of the game for me. Maybe technically, being roughly 8 or 12 yards out, they did not consider this as goal line, and felt no need to alter coverage tactics. Pretty fuging sad.

This was the most frustrating play of the game for me. Maybe technically, being roughly 8 or 12 yards out, they did not consider this as goal line, and felt no need to alter coverage tactics. Pretty f*cking sad.

From what I saw in the game real time. Marshal would be pressing his man while gamble would not. I guess they get to choose how they press and I just dont understand Gamble. He is fast,quick,and can jump but he choose to give a WR a mile cushion even in zone.

That one Gonzales TD where he popped into the end zone, watch Godfrey. He was sitting smack dab in the middle of the end zone and then ran up to hit him. For crying out loud, at least guard the damn line, kid. There's no point in waiting for TG to get into the end zone! Meet him before he does!

Why? It didn't cost him the starting job after a year of the same stuff. Godfrey is now the Keary Colbert of the defense....Fox will ride him out for a few years.

Why? It didn't cost him the starting job after a year of the same stuff. Godfrey is now the Keary Colbert of the defense....Fox will ride him out for a few years.

I didn't like the pick of Godfrey about as much as I didn't like the one for Martin (and Sean Smith was here and was a no-brainier IMO). Why can't we just draft a guy and leave him in his college position? First TD then Godfrey, now Martin. Although I like the pick Davis the others have been either terrible (Godfrey) or invisible (Martin).

I didn't like the pick of Godfrey about as much as I didn't like the one for Martin (and Sean Smith was here and was a no-brainier IMO). Why can't we just draft a guy and leave him in his college position? First TD then Godfrey, now Martin. Although I like the pick Davis the others have been either terrible (Godfrey) or invisible (Martin).

I'm with you. I actually watched that part of the draft and did a literal "happy dance" and advised everyone how lucky Carolina was to have gotten Smith. Everyone of course laughed as they then announced Martin. Not a knock on Martin....but Smith is simply the better CB regardless of so called "system". I also agree this kick Carolina is on about converting guys to new positions as they start there pro career is absurd....the change to their natural position is already demanding enough.

Carolina would really be better grabing an average vet S and putting Godfrey back at CB......they almost guarantee this kid won't make it long on this team by keeping him at S. Everything about Godfrey screams CB......

I'm with you. I actually watched that part of the draft and did a literal "happy dance" and advised everyone how lucky Carolina was to have gotten Smith. Everyone of course laughed as they then announced Martin. Not a knock on Martin....but Smith is simply the better CB regardless of so called "system". I also agree this kick Carolina is on about converting guys to new positions as they start there pro career is absurd....the change to their natural position is already demanding enough.

Carolina would really be better grabing an average vet S and putting Godfrey back at CB......they almost guarantee this kid won't make it long on this team by keeping him at S. Everything about Godfrey screams CB......

And now look how Smith is doing with the Fins. Man I am really starting to despise Hurney.

Don't you ever just wonder why they can't just play a simple, straight, defense; who gives a crap if its the Tampa 2.

It absolutely perplexes me why they try and play a defense they do not have the personnel for....they have no DL, none whatsoever, and the reality is they have not since Jenkins got pushed out, and Rucker retired. People bad mouthed Jenkins, but I always felt he was a player. We will never know what went on inside of that locker room. I just find it funny that not long after Jenkins leaves, Peppers wants out.

I heard the Jets DL coach on Jenkins today, saying what a better team they are with him and they know he's getting older, so they make allowances for that...damn it all.

I'm going on a tangent, regardless, for the love of god, can't they just line up and just hit somebody, even if it is wrong.

Archived