• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Pettine vs Ron Meeks

Jangler

being statistically good doesn't always mean you are actually good though.....I think that was a big part of some of those Colt defenses. The stats showed them being better than what was on the field.

I believe they were a top 5 defense. Great QB or not, you still have to stop the opposing offenses to reach that goal in a 16 game season. Those stats are fairly important.

I would agree with you if they were middle of the pack and never on the field....

That was my point. The Colts defense was always decent towards the end of games when other teams passes a lot and their line could just rush the QB without worrying about the run and got sacks and forced turnovers. Had their offense not been so effective, they would have never made the playoffs to begin with that gave their defense a chance to get hot. Meeks is accustomed to having the offense carry the team and the D just make stops here and there and get turnovers. They could give up 24 to 27 points a game and be ok. Not the case here.

referring to my comment above.. That would be the case for an average defense, which would be the case if they were holding people to 24 - 27 points a game. I don't remember that being the case, the defense stopped offenses to a much higher degree...

They were 3rd in the league for Total Yards per Game.. They weren't just average..

TBH with you... our defense isn't that bad. Game 1 you just can't go off that at all. IMO its the play calls and certain points that's bad. We suck at blitzing, but we call a blitz on 3rd and long instead of dropping back in a nickel coverage. Then sometimes we shouldn't play off but we do. Just certain things that makes us look the worse

Really if you break it down. The Jets were good on D last year and they played the 3-4\Hybird. I would think that Ryan is running the 3-4\Hybrid so not much of an change. We played alot of zone last year and Ron Meeks is using a cover 2\Tampa 2 style with us so really no big change there ether. The fact still remains we cant get to the QB with four guys. Not last year not this year. Stuff like that is not just gonna disappear because of a new scheme.

I believe they were a top 5 defense. Great QB or not, you still have to stop the opposing offenses to reach that goal in a 16 game season. Those stats are fairly important.

I would agree with you if they were middle of the pack and never on the field....

referring to my comment above.. That would be the case for an average defense, which would be the case if they were holding people to 24 - 27 points a game. I don't remember that being the case, the defense stopped offenses to a much higher degree...

They were 3rd in the league for Total Yards per Game.. They weren't just average..

They were 21st in total yards a game in 06, which is the year we are referring to. They were 23rd in points allowed.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2006&seasonType=REG&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&d-447263-o=1&conference=ALL&tabSeq=2&role=OPP&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=TOTAL_POINTS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-n=1

I was thinking about it earlier this morning. I have a feeling the Jets are this years Titans.

entirely possible. They could also be this year's Jets. Last year the Jets were the greatest thing ever for about six weeks and in December they folded like Romo.

Nice bonus points to whoever it was just suggested that a DC who's riding a great coach's coattails should be the next head coach when nobody knew this guy three weeks ago.

And the continues...

About 30 percent of the team's budget went to the defense in Indy. You make due with what you have.

other than Peppers, about the same here. We invested in draft picks, but this is a very young and thin defense. At best the depth we do have at DE, CB, and S is a developing depth. There's talent here, though. The only thing it desperately needs is an all around good DT. I think that's where we should've gone with that other #2, but Moala was gone and I'm not much on hindsight. If Martin gets his act together, we'll need him next year.

It's not our Defensive Coordinator it's our head coach John Fox. John Fox is an average coach which I think his winning percentage is .590 give or take. John Fox comes across as a little weak, personality wise. Even though Belichick is very, very quite I'd run up on Fox before I would Belichick. I see great head coaches as ass kickers, or geniuses, I don't see John Fox as neither of the two.

Archived