• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

About those warm up observations....

Jeremy Igo

Even with our defencies this team with a healthly J. Stewart is a dangerous team.  You know, our defensive backfield cant get much worse than they were today, even with that if Cam and the O would have played better and J. Stewart running healthy we probably still win that game today.

• We should have beat Denver on the road
  • Had Minnesota beat who is really good

I think we will be fine and fully expect to get to at least 10 wins.  I still support our coach, OC and GM.

7 minutes ago, beastson said:

This could be true, but as I said during the week about Shula, Cam knows he missed his chance to win the SB and prove everybody who ever doubted him and Panthers wrong. I don't see that same urgency and aggression from our coaches and management to win NOW. We go in to the season with letting people go and rookies. We ball out during the 1st half, but suck in the 2nd half. Eventually that same ol execution exectution gets old. Coaches have to say what we're doing isn't working. When the Pats lose, one thing I noticed is the media goes straight to Bill like what happened. It first fall on his and his coaches shoulders, then on Tom shoulders

Idk if it was you or another poster, but I think the Shula ship has sailed. Cam does know he missed his chance and probably won't have another playing under Shula. I think it all starts up top then comes down. I think the team as a whole probably went in not really trusting the coaching and management. Management is not gonna say they messed up. Gettleman, Ron and that coaching staff have to own this. It also bothers me that if this continues, Cam will take the brunt of the media lashing. I just really, really, really think Shula is done. Cam can't progress as a player under him. Everything is not forever. 

Mmm hmm.

It's called it's not been done since what 92 a team has most the SB and went back? Many teams who lose the SB even make it to the playoffs right? 

It's a combo of factors.  You play 2 teams who are a bad match up defensively and 1 big rival with a great offense on the road.

The book is out on how to stop the team on offense and we have been much slower to adapting to that. So far all the breaks we got last year ain't happening this year. 

If the team doesn't address the o line via a trade that tells me they are packing it in from the top down which the team knows.

CJ will retire after this year and is just going through the motions.

Young secondary is glaringly bad. 

It's a little bit of everything going on.

2 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

we lost three critical locker room guys this offseason and didn't replace them. would a team with tillman, harper, and allen on it let a young team carry itself like that?

Definitely not. Roman and Tillman mentored the hell out of the secondary last year, and Allen did what he could to mentor the DL. It showed. 

2 minutes ago, truthjuice said:

Idk if it was you or another poster, but I think the Shula ship has sailed. Cam does know he missed his chance and probably won't have another playing under Shula. I think it all starts up top then comes down. I think the team as a whole probably went in not really trusting the coaching and management. Management is not gonna say they messed up. Gettleman, Ron and that coaching staff have to own this. It also bothers me that if this continues, Cam will take the brunt of the media lashing. I just really, really, really think Shula is done. Cam can't progress as a player under him. Everything is not forever. 

Yeah I said that and it started with losing SB 50. Number 1 offense and they got embarrassed. The Denver D is letting the whole world know that the Panthers offense didn't change poo from what was on film. Shula was exposed at that very moment to everybody including Panthers players

We go in to next season with these so called changes and we look bad. If I'm a player I wouldn't be trusting the coaches either. They call it the SB hangover for a reason cause the SB is in the back of your mind the whole time. I'm just seeing similarities to the Shula that was in Tampa. He has an even better offense and they're struggling and he's been here for 4 seasons now. Last year was Cam/Shula at its peak. He needs a better offensive mind and especially a more urgent aggressive OC at this time. Its needed to get back to the SB

I said it before, and I'll say it again...  It's why I was so pissed that the NFL hosed us in the Superbowl for the sake of a great "ride off into the sunset" storyline for Manning.  When you work so hard, and have such a magical year going 15-1, with the league MVP, and you are robbed of your championship after a year long grind, it can't NOT take something out of you.  Yes, I am going to stick with that double negative...  because it's true.  I don't care who you are, that grind and coming up short, especially considering the circumstances, it takes something out of you.

Even as a fan, I came into this season more jaded than I ever have.  Then to open the season in Denver instead of making them prove their worth on our field, and to have their defenders trying to injure the league MVP on national tv with no consequences just compounded the let down we were already battling.  We had months to try to shake it off and the NFL immediately put us in a position to remind us of their power and haunt us with the memories of the Superbowl...  Once the season opener went down the way it did, I decided to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  

All of that poo is hard to overcome.

This about sums it up for me. I said after the Super Bowl, and I stand by it. I don't think Cam will ever win a Super Bowl.

The 2016 Panthers season is a haunted house. Haunted by the 2015 Panthers season.

2015 was a magical year. A year in which almost everything went right. Cam played like the MVP. We were healthy aside from Kelvin in all key positions. We had the right team, the right schedule, the right scheme, the right weather, everything. I believe the 2015 Panthers should go down as one of the best teams in NFL history. And if we won the Super Bowl, there would be no debate. The 15 Panthers would be in the same conversation with the 85 Bears.

But we lost. A year in which we did everything right for half a year, executed everything with near perfection, exceeded every expectation, broke every record, it didn't matter.

That has to be one of the greatest letdowns of all time. All that emotional buildup, and then you lose? How do you bounce back from that? How do you go to work after that knowing that in order to get back to have another shot at the title, you have to do everything perfectly AGAIN! That every injury, every setback, every loss means that you're less likely to make it back to where you were last year. And even if you do make it back, you could just lose the big game again.

I can't say I'm surprised by how this season us going. We aren't a Super Bowl team. If you look at this team, talent, coaching, energy, hype, health, tone, everything; we aren't a shadow of the 15 Panthers. And the 15 Panthers weren't good enough to be champions.
How do you not look at this team and think, "if the 15 Panthers weren't good enough to win, this team with its weaker O Line, weaker secondary, and dejected Cam stands no chance."

I feel like that, and I'm sure the team does to. And until we can shake that feeling, we won't be back to the Super Bowl.

It might take years.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I think the Superbowl letdown is bigger than vet leadership.  poo, for those guys it might have even been worse because they had all come so close and lost again (minus Harper).  I just think after we lost, you take a stepback and say, "damn, we have to do all that over again just to get a CHANCE to win it all?" (and then hope the refs don't bend you over once you get there)...  and again, then add in the league's handling of the season opener, then the social issues and protests going on in Charlotte, the questions that have come along with it throughout the week...  It's just heavy.

Cam has lost focus and it's up to his coaches and front office to get him to believe again.

I don't like when he plays ATL in ATL because from the outside he looks detached when playing there, again, coaching. Maybe coach should tell him that he works for Pepsi and wearing a Coca Cola shirt might be a bit disrespectful. Do your airplane before the game don't back down.

Now the defense, normally the best players on defense got a screw loose or two, just like the best musicians. Good corners are brash and you have to expect some bravado from him or a star WR. Josh loved his team, DWill did too and so did Greg Hardy who isn't Ray Rice and may love him a good time but was hardly criminal. That's a guy who needs football in his life.

We have a WINDOW of time to get to the Super Bowl and it looks like DG is deconstructing. You've taken the "crazy" and the swagger off of the defense. 

If you could have found it in your heart to forgive Greg Hardy like Dallas did you may still have a savant at DE pushing sacks CJ's way for years to come. You played GH jr the first game probably should have stuck to your guns instead of popping wheelies for a media that doesn't like you in the first place. If you would have respected Steve Smith our offense would be insane. Youth movement? Cool, then you boot Norman who wanted to stay?!? Why would my QB BELIEVE you WANT to win? Sterilized. 

6 minutes ago, beastson said:

Yeah I said that and it started with losing SB 50. Number 1 offense and they got embarrassed. The Denver D is letting the whole world know that the Panthers offense didn't change poo from what was on film. Shula was exposed at that very moment to everybody including Panthers players

We go in to next season with these so called changes and we look bad. If I'm a player I wouldn't be trusting the coaches either. They call it the SB hangover for a reason cause the SB is in the back of your mind the whole time. I'm just seeing similarities to the Shula that was in Tampa. He has an even better offense and they're struggling and he's been here for 4 seasons now. Last year was Cam/Shula at its peak. He needs a better offensive mind and especially a more urgent aggressive OC at this time. Its needed to get back to the SB

This. I think had Shula maybe changed or tweaked some things, we wouldn't be having this conversation. But he didn't. Cam and the offense trying to pick up where they left off and can't because defenses expect it. You also have to be willing to grow with your quarterback. We saw what Cam is capable of, why not maximize that. He doesn't trust his coaching and now he probably doesn't trust his line. There's talent on this offense, even with a shaky line. Shula doesn't know how to use it. Its time for him to go. He was good for Cam, I will give him that, but in order for Cam to really shoot off he needs another OC. Rivera has to see this too. 

13 minutes ago, Captroop said:

This about sums it up for me. I said after the Super Bowl, and I stand by it. I don't think Cam will ever win a Super Bowl.

The 2016 Panthers season is a haunted house. Haunted by the 2015 Panthers season.

2015 was a magical year. A year in which almost everything went right. Cam played like the MVP. We were healthy aside from Kelvin in all key positions. We had the right team, the right schedule, the right scheme, the right weather, everything. I believe the 2015 Panthers should go down as one of the best teams in NFL history. And if we won the Super Bowl, there would be no debate. The 15 Panthers would be in the same conversation with the 85 Bears.

But we lost. A year in which we did everything right for half a year, executed everything with near perfection, exceeded every expectation, broke every record, it didn't matter.

That has to be one of the greatest letdowns of all time. All that emotional buildup, and then you lose? How do you bounce back from that? How do you go to work after that knowing that in order to get back to have another shot at the title, you have to do everything perfectly AGAIN! That every injury, every setback, every loss means that you're less likely to make it back to where you were last year. And even if you do make it back, you could just lose the big game again.

I can't say I'm surprised by how this season us going. We aren't a Super Bowl team. If you look at this team, talent, coaching, energy, hype, health, tone, everything; we aren't a shadow of the 15 Panthers. And the 15 Panthers weren't good enough to be champions.
How do you not look at this team and think, "if the 15 Panthers weren't good enough to win, this team with its weaker O Line, weaker secondary, and dejected Cam stands no chance."

I feel like that, and I'm sure the team does to. And until we can shake that feeling, we won't be back to the Super Bowl.

It might take years.

To say Cam will never win a superbowl is way to premature. Get the fug out if thats how you feel because its gonna be a long 10+ years for you.

3 minutes ago, Captroop said:

It might take years.

Man, I hope you're wrong about Cam not winning one.  My fears were more generalized, as in, "we have to do all that over again?  Our franchise might not ever get another chance..."  IMO, Cam is the only chance we have to win one, so we have to do it while he's here.  Regardless, it pisses me off even thinking about it because it was meant to be and we were robbed.  Once it was over, then I immediately started thinking about all the years it may take to come that close again.  So, again, if you want to follow storylines, look at "legends" like Elway, Manning, and Favre...  How many years did it take them to get their second chance?  As a fan, and as a player, that is a miserable way to look at things because that's a lot of time to have to prepare, hope, and wait.

But, I agree about the tone of this year's team.  After we lost the Superbowl, I initially felt like the future was bright and we would be back...  But, as the final seconds ticked off the clock in February, I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel hopeless and asked myself if it was worth it?  To go through all we did and then have a league-aided loss in the Superbowl.  Then the Norman debacle, the draft, the season opener all dampened that.  Sometime during the offseason was when it first hit me that 16 was going to be a huge uphill battle.  I started to think of how the league rigged the game against us, how they staged that post-game presser to further insult Cam and make a controversy out of it going into the offseason, then having such a jarring reminder of their cruelty spring up on us in the opener...  It felt like just as we started to pack all that stuff from 15 away so we could regroup and make the best of 16, they unpacked all of it and threw it in our faces.  Ever since that opener, I just feel like it's been about running away from those 15 Panthers' ghosts you were talking about.  

I don't like our chances, and if we do turn it around, it is likely going to be the toughest battle our team has ever faced because of all we've discussed here.

Archived