• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Not trying to beat a dead horse... (QB hits)

Darth Biscuit

Idk how many of you watch NFL Turning Point but they did a segment on the Panthers - Vikings game and I just now watched it...

This was a horrible play by Oher, and I don't think it was a malicious hit by the Vikings but based on other plays I've seen recently (Drew Stanton getting hit by a hand in the helmet Sunday by the 49ers), how is this not a foul?

20161004_193514.jpg

20161004_193536.jpg

I think this sort of thing approaches a broader discussion.

It's fun to chug beers, and yell about a football game, but these head injuries are going to be a completely different discussion 20 years from now when this generation of players begins to pay the price.

Normally i would think its just a difference in officiating crews, but Cam never gets this call.

I honestly don't know how this isn't roughing the passer. Like the foul you mentioned, I've also seen QB's like Drew Brees, Andrew Luck, and Tom Brady get barely touched on the helmet by an inadvertent grab by a defender called a personal foul.

It's infuriating...

1 minute ago, PantherRN said:

Normally i would think its just a difference in officiating crews, but Cam never gets this call.

I honestly don't know how this isn't roughing the passer. Like the foul you mentioned, I've also seen QB's like Drew Brees, Andrew Luck, and Tom Brady get barely touched on the helmet by an inadvertent grab by a defender called a personal foul.

It's infuriating...

This is my problem, call it, don't call it, but damn it be consistent. 

Refs are gonna miss calls but this is inexcusable. 

As a side note, between the Denver game hits, this hit and other hits in general,  Cam may have been playing hurt, because you know if he can play, he's gonna play unless they make him sit.

3 minutes ago, truthjuice said:

Quarterbacks get the call. Unless you're Cam. Then his posture says he's a runner which makes him free game. That's how I understand the rule. 

Which is utter bullshit either way, because, as in this case, he's clearly a passer and two, he shouldn't be treated any differently...  hell Dax Prescott got a roughing the passer call vs Washington because a guy pushed him in the back...  PUSHED HIM IN THE BACK... yes, you read that correctly.  He's a "mobile QB" too isn't he?

1 minute ago, Darth Biscuit said:

Which is utter bullshit either way, because, as in this case, he's clearly a passer and two, he shouldn't be treated any differently...  hell Dax Prescott got a roughing the passer call vs Washington because a guy pushed him in the back...  PUSHED HIM IN THE BACK... yes, you read that correctly.  He's a "mobile QB" too isn't he?

I agree with you. Cam doesn't get fair treatment and the reason, I'm not sure. I've seen other mobile quarterbacks get these calls. Rivera has to be willing to take penalties when he sees this stuff happening. I saw Trai and KB in a refs face Sunday, but where is the coach? I also agree with your above post, with the hits from Denver and this hit, he's most likely been hurt and the hit in Atlanta was the icing on the cake. Yet, Rivera hasn't brought attention to these hits at all. 

I saw a lot of bad sketchy hits on Sun. Can't recall of them being flagged or not but it seems a twofold issue. One? more guys are just terrible tacklers and two they go more for the head maybe subconsciously knowing no call.

But honestly i rarely see a game now where helmet to helmet isn't going on. 

13 minutes ago, truthjuice said:

I agree with you. Cam doesn't get fair treatment and the reason, I'm not sure. I've seen other mobile quarterbacks get these calls. Rivera has to be willing to take penalties when he sees this stuff happening. I saw Trai and KB in a refs face Sunday, but where is the coach? I also agree with your above post, with the hits from Denver and this hit, he's most likely been hurt and the hit in Atlanta was the icing on the cake. Yet, Rivera hasn't brought attention to these hits at all. 

I'm really starting to fall in line with this thinking. Maybe more happens behind the scenes but the point about yelling at a ref is to get a call from those refs.

I always wondered what is considered a QB "hit". If cam slides and a D-player touches him with a hand, is that a hit? If cam runs out of bounds and a player touches him, is that a hit? I know the closest player gets credit for a tackle in that case. Just curious.

You guys just can't see what's really going on here.  Cam has opened himself up to this kind of indifference from the refs when he called out Ed.  They are going to let him get his comeuppance from guys who are more than willing to lay his trash talking, camera hogging ass out.  

Some of these guys are extremely competitive and don't take kindly to being shown up on National Television and Cam Newton did a lot of that last year, you guys know this.

So to end my incoherent rant I will say this.  I love me some Cam Newton, dude is a baller and on my team.   You be you baby but know this, protect yourself cause the league sure won't.

Archived