• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Missed it by that much.

iamhubby1

14 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

But what about the successful 7-8-1 division championship year. Wasn't that year great? Did that not show you what a genius Gettleman is?

The Panthers should have built on the 2013 team. They run away with the division and have a good shot at up ending the Seahawks for the SB. Then the 2015 season leads to an even stronger team with Steve Smith and Jordan Gross in their final seasons since they are retiring together. The Panthers not only dominate, but they protect Cam with Gross and Veldheer warding off the Broncos pass rush. Meanwhile Steve Smith is so aware of the QB that he can consistently run come backs whenever Cam scrambles while beating down Talib. The Panthers go 19-0 and win very possibly their second SB championship. Then comes 2016 with every position accounted for while Landry replaces Smitty and Okung/Veldheer man the OT position.

If the Panthers let the plan play out and kept the interference of Gettleman away from the team, then this team would very well be on its way to a dynasty. They had it all in place. Instead, the Panthers are now wasting time with precious talent and are looking at a future that is very bleak with little to no quality talent surrounding what remains from the foundation put in place from 2011/2012.

It's easy to win multiple Superbowls when you have an infinite salary cap and 20/20 hindsight draft do-overs!!

I'm DG's biggest supporter and have been behind all his moves, but I disagree with the Bene cut 100℅. I have not seen any credible info that will convince me it was a well thought out decision.

I also don't get this argument that gives the 2014 season as an example of our resilience. We only made the playoffs in 2014 cuz we played in a garbage division that season. Chances of making the playoffs with a losing record are slim to none. Stop with the revisionist stuff.

Sent from my LGLS991 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

5 hours ago, run1stdownrun2nddown said:

It's easy to win multiple Superbowls when you have an infinite salary cap and 20/20 hindsight draft do-overs!!

This is not hindsight. This is my philosophy/grading/system from those years.

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

If DG was the GM, here's what his plan would have been:

Unrealistic. You have to narrow the draft down to 5 picks, and we all know Gettleman would not have drafted Cam or Kuechly.

Also, Gettleman does not get the 1st round picks in 2009 or 2010. He would have been forced to trade them away for the JR CBA Crusade. JR was not paying any first round pick in 2009 or 2010. Nice try.

Now, redo it with more realism.

I think Dave got cocky after last season when he did do a great job of plugging holes with bargain basement pieces.

Ironically a GM that just went 17-2 and had a Super Bowl appearance is still not nearly as cocky about his GMing abilities as a third of the Huddle posters are about theirs and I say this as a guy who's pretty fuging pissed at Dave right about now.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think Dave got cocky after last season when he did do a great job of plugging holes with bargain basement pieces.

Ironically a GM that just went 17-2 and had a Super Bowl appearance is still not nearly as cocky about his GMing abilities as a third of the Huddle posters are about theirs and I say this as a guy who's pretty fuging pissed at Dave right about now.

I don't see it as "Cocky". I see it more as a calculated risk, that just didn't work out. We went 17-2, and returned 20 starters. I can see how they thought we could make it one more year. Giving them time to truly evaluate all the kids on this team.

I just don't think they planned on the way this season has started.  But, I firmly believe the folks in that building have far more faith in the team that most folks up in here.

I hate to say this. If DA can't get us a win this week. This place is going to be unbearable.

If you're not getting better, you're getting worse. We lost an all-pro CB and added... virtually nothing. Bradberry has looked solid so far as a rookie. Soliai looks like a bust of a FA addition. The rest of the off season? Honestly, at this point, not even worth mentioning. Definitely sucks to have spent a 1st round pick on a DT with glaring needs elsewhere, but I'm not going to knock the pick until he can get healthy and actually show something on the field one way or the other.

I think most fans thought going into the season standing pat at OT and DE was a big mistake. So far, that thought process seems justified.

4 hours ago, stbugs said:

Lol. Wtf are you talking about? Your boy Hurney traded away those firsts to get other players. He traded away the 2009 first for Otah, a player he picked in the FIRST ROUND of 2008. Your logic is completely wrong otherwise we would have just traded down not gotten another first. As always completely wrong.

Also, the team had 0 QBs, every GM we would have had would have chosen Cam. Stop being stupid. Trying to make it look like Cam was a hard pick is typical you, wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

You do not remember do you? 2008 was the last season JR would pay first round picks due to the CBA battle over the next 2 seasons. They doubled up in 2008 on first rounders, and it paid off. Otah was very good. He destroyed in the run game and helped lead the Panthers to 2 1000 yard rushers. Gross and Otah were the best OT duo this team has ever had. I wish Otah did not have the injuries and played at least 5 seasons, but that is part of the game.

You were either not a fan back in 2008 or you were very young.

You know Gettleman would have chosen a DL like Marcel Dareus or JJ Watt. Gettleman is not a fan of QBs like Cam and his hard line stance on Cam in 2013 and to start 2014 proved that much.

14 minutes ago, uncfan888 said:

Every time I think I want to ignore cpk, he says something that makes me laugh..  So I stick around

I call him the Professor. Because I truly believe he thinks he is educating us. He reminds me of my brother in law. He thinks he is the smartest person in the room. And when he finishes talking, you turn your head and laugh.

At least he is entertaining. Not up to Growl level yet. Although they do have differing styles. But he is getting there.

Well that was complacent as fug by them.  We won a poo ton of close games last year, we easily could have been 11-5 or so in the regular season.  We were damn good last year, but the overall quality of that team wasn't a 15 win team.  They were moreso a solid 11-12 win team that had a ton of bounces go their way and got red hot at the exact time.  It's fuging asinine by the guys we pay millions to sit back all offseason and just assume everything will be fine and upgrades couldn't be made.  It's even more ridiculous to think you can replace a top 5 CB and replace him with midround rookies because our "system" is just that good.  

I get why the casual fan might have had the mindset you posted.  Hell, it's the mindset I had.  But when you make millions to know football you have to think about it more abstractly than that.  You can't be complacent in this league, you just can't.  Our head honchos were this offseason and it's why we aren't near as good as we could have been.  They should have known the win number would probably revert back to the mean.  Sure enough, bounces aren't going our way as much this year and we're 1-3 because of it.

Archived