• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's have a rational conversation about our GM

Ricky Spanish

1 minute ago, Cracka McNasty said:

OK, fine, take away the role players who did their roles and did them adequately and you are still left with Star, KK, Norwell, and Turner. How are you going to poo on those moves?

Those were good moves, Hurney also had some great moves that didn't stop me and other fans from sh*tting on him. 

Gettleman has outright refused to draft and sign players in position of need. Drafting a LB and DT in back to back drafts has to be the dumbest moves I've ever seen. 

51 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

Hello everyone. At this point in the season I'm willing to concede that Gettleman did a poor job replacing the departing vets from last season. While Allen didn't get many sacks, he still commanded attention. The veteran presence in the secondary is non existent and we are missing the experience something fierce. The idea was to go into this season with the parts from last year's Super Bowl mostly in tact, and that didn't work out so well so far. 

Having conceded this, I'm not on the fire Gettleman bandwagon, and I feel like others need to hop off of it as well. This is a lost season so it seems. While it's disappointing, I don't find myself in a sky is falling mindset like many on here for a number of reasons.

1. This is the first "Bad" season the team has had under Gettleman that can be directly linked to him being at fault. in 2013 we won 12 games which was a huge surprise due to the cap issues we were in. 2014 Gettleman had to cut a ton of fat with contracts and it left us strapped for cash with tons of holes to fill. Hats off to the coaching staff for pulling the division out of their asses and winning it that season because Gettleman even admitted there would be a step backwards that year, and those who didn't expect it obviously weren't paying attention. Anyone who says more should have been done never has an actual answer for what could have been done in place of the decisions Gettleman made. Still, they made the playoffs and set up the team well enough for the next season. 2015 happens and oh what a magical ride it was. Finally free from Cap Hell, Gettleman was able to reach long term contracts with two super stars in Cam and Luke, as well as add talent to the team with the likes of Oher, Tillman, Allen, and Ginn. While they weren't studs, they were upgrades. We lost KB for the season in TC and still managed to make it to the Super Bowl and lose due to poor execution and miscues. Now we have the debacle that is 2016 and all the wise old guys we had last year are gone and replaced with unproven young guys. That's on Gettleman. But it's still only his first year where I feel like he failed on his own, not due to extenuating circumstances. 1 bad year out of 4 does not make me want him gone. 
  2. We are good Cap wise. It's not like we're the Saints and have mortgaged our future to be this bad. All the mistakes that Gettleman has made are not long term mistakes. That's something many on here don't seem to understand. While it sucks that we have fallen so far from last year, This isn't a Hurney run team where the shittiest of shitty players are locked up forever into the future with no end in sight to the shittyness. We have our core locked up for the future, and they are a damn good core in Cam, Luke, Olsen, etc. We have some young guys deserving of large paydays coming up in Norwell and Turner. Star will need a new contract too, as will Short. Good news is we will have the cap to do it, and then some. We have money to improve the team unlike seasons past. While this season is a disappointment, I don't foresee it being an issue long term. We're in a good position to be bad if that makes sense. 
  3. We've been unlucky. Like it or not, we pulled some BS wins out of our asses last year, and it was friggin great. This year, we have lost every close game we've been in. Add onto that the injury bug has hit us hard compared to last year and we're just not getting the breaks we got a season ago. We aren't at full strength and we're still competing which is a silver lining in the crappy season that is 2016.
  4. The team is constantly shooting itself in the foot. Penalties, Turnovers, and poor coaching have also played a large factor in the team's record this year. That's not on Gettleman. That's on the players and coaches on individual plays. I can't blame Gettleman when Cam throws a pick or fumbles, or when KB holds on a run play that goes for 50 on the opposite side of the field, or when Rivera calls a god damn timeout while the Bucs have the ball with under two minutes to go...These are things that are out of Gettleman's control, yet people seem to be forgetting about these huge momentum shifting plays in the games. 

So right now, I'm on the ride it out wagon. 1 year of poor personnel decisions does not make me hate the guy and want him gone. We made the playoffs each of the first 3 seasons he was our GM based largely around the rosters he was able to fill out at a discount price. There is plenty of room for improvements to be made this offseason. We have the money to do so. We need another OT, a pass rushing DE, a Vet presence in the Secondary, and possibly a new kicker. That's doable with the money we have at our disposal. I think it's very possible that Gettleman can address our needs in the offseason and draft. I'm willing to stick a fork in 2016, but not in our GM who put together a Super Bowl team a year ago. If we suck again next year, then yeah, I'll be more salty. But right now, I think cooler heads need to prevail and we just need to ride the storm out. 

Idk if I trust DG, he has ignored the OL for 3 years straight , which was the main issue for all of our losses in the post season. How do we know he is not going to draft another DT since KK & Star are struggling 

55 minutes ago, Growl said:

You wanna know a dirty little secret?

The 2013 team was more talented than the 2015 team, if you break it down group by group.

The only areas where the 2015 team was superior was excellence/experience at the QB position and the now self-imploded Secondary.

The overall talent on this roster has been downward trending since 2013.(and if you can't accept that, you couldn't dispute that it has simply idled)

Yup and we still started 1 and 3 and took Ron Rivera being on the hot seat  for him to coach better. 

1 minute ago, GoobyPls said:

Those were good moves, Hurney also had some great moves that didn't stop me and other fans from sh*tting on him. 

Gettleman has outright refused to draft and sign players in position of need. Drafting a LB and DT in back to back drafts has to be the dumbest moves I've ever seen. 

KB, Brown, Ginn, Funches

Remmers, Oher, Norwell, Turner

Tillman, Coleman, Finnegan, Mitchell, 3 rookies this year

I pied you for the first part of your post but I disagree with part two. Gettleman most definitely has addressed positions of need with drafts and free agency since he has been there. While Oher and Remmers are not studs, they were upgrades over their predecessors. I think the problem people have is that they want the results now, and with rookies it takes time for them to come into their own. We won't necessarily get the instant gratification from them that we would a very expensive vet, but the moves will help out long term. 

Just now, Benotheking said:

Yup and we still started 1 and 3 and took Ron Rivera being on the hot seat  for him to coach better. 

"Coach better" lol

why hasn't this occurred to anybody before

what sage wisdom you've bequeathed upon us

Ok, let's be rational...

2 years ago, the Broncos got smashed by the Seahawks in the Super Bowl... They had a really good team, but not a great one. They had flaws and they worked to fix them on the next season. They grabed Sanders, TJ Ward, Talib and Ware! Look... One Rush Edger, and 2 DBs.... sounds familiar no?

What happend next, we All know... and hey, they still have a very strong unite, capitalized by that free agency

We, on the oder hand, made the opposite.

Everyone knows that our DEs were Just average, as long as our DBs. We let our Top CB go cause our GM Ego is the most important thing. Grimes, Amukamara, Hayward, Sean Smith... we didn't get anyone.

Cam was the MVP, and our RT was expossed on the Super Bowl... do we upgrade our OL to protect our best player? NOOOO

But hey, we drafted a DT in the 1st round so now we can let KK go and stay with 20MM avaiable on the Cap!

The rational talk is not about the mistakes, it's about the attitudes (lack off). He did not seek to strengthen our weaknesses. It's not as if we had drafted Tackle or Corner with our 1st round pick, or we had signed and / or traded for a DE and some DBs in the off season. He did nothing to improve our team. That's BS

fug DG AS HIS EGO

5 minutes ago, The_Rainmaker said:

Idk if I trust DG, he has ignored the OL for 3 years straight , which was the main issue for all of our losses in the post season. How do we know he is not going to draft another DT since KK & Star are struggling 

He did not ignore the line, he improved it with the signings of Oher and Remmers. Oher was damn decent bordering on good last year. Remmers was average. That's a far cry from the year before that with Bell and Chandler. This season they seem to have stepped back and I don't think anyone was expecting such a drop off in their performance from last season. 

10 minutes ago, Growl said:

The panthers just rode the hurney era to the super bowl, with no small part in help thanks to the coaching staff bandaging up wounds that could've been fixed had we been willing to make moves for useful players rather than slowly bleeding talent away while the same position groups go unaddressed year in and year out.

Ted Gin, Philly Brown, Turner, Norwell, Short, Star, and I'm missing a few were all drafted or brought in by Dave within 3 years. When you done being a idiot we can talk then. 

36 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Put together a 15-1 team????

Cam played out of his mind last year and it had absolutely nothing to do with Gettleman. Our receivers were still awful last season and our Oline was top ten in sacks per attempt.

Dave had absolutely nothing to do with that 15 and 1 season ? How come most people are blaming the veteran leadership we lose that Dave provided for us last year as a reason way we are 1 and 5 ? if we are using that logic Dave was a big reason why won because of the veteran leadership he provide for us last year

53 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You're in the wrong forum for rational discussions, dude.

There's plenty of rational discussion going on in All Pro.

I'm going to try to be rational. Lawd have mercy, we don't want anybody running to all pro!!!

I wasn't going to say anything, but you think you're rational all the time? Dude, you can very  condescending and irrational. You were especially condenscending and down right a bully to anyone who questioned Gettleman or any of the moves the front office made. I just go back to thinking about CPPantherking. He never came at anybody, he was just stating his opinion on things. You constantly would go at him, and even questioned his intelligence. Don't come in here acting high and mighty when you have your moments as well. 

7 minutes ago, Snake said:

Ted Gin, Philly Brown, Turner, Norwell, Short, Star, and I'm missing a few were all drafted or brought in by Dave within 3 years. When you done being a idiot we can talk then. 

ah yes who doesn't remember where they were when they got to see ted ginn run to the bench as quickly as possible week in and week out.

Archived