• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dean Blandino: Officials That Miss Calls Will Be Downgraded; May Miss Postseason Assignments

Saca312

21 hours ago, Saca312 said:

In light of the Cam Newton recent controversy, Dean Blandino made it clear officials that miss calls will be penalized. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-head-of-officials-we-missed-two-roughing-calls-on-cam-newton-this-year/

From the way he worded it, it sounds like this may have been a system already in place, and not anything new. He most likely brought this up to assure the public they have a system for referees who underperform.

Do you believe that the referees will now be held more accountable for their actions, and provide much better calls? Or do you think this is just a mere gesture to pacify the public and Cam Newton for the short-term?

I do think we will see SLIGHTLY better ref calls from here on out. They likely will not miss the blatant ones as often.  

There needs to be a lot more referee oversight transparency for me to trust the NFL or any affiliated unions.  The league would benefit from an official's video segment once a week to discuss and explain the tough calls of that week along with which refs graded well, where they are ranked, and whether they will make postseason games or possibly be cut for up and coming refs.  

44 minutes ago, Mvp2014 said:

I do think we will see SLIGHTLY better ref calls from here on out. They likely will not miss the blatant ones as often.  

There needs to be a lot more referee oversight transparency for me to trust the NFL or any affiliated unions.  The league would benefit from an official's video segment once a week to discuss and explain the tough calls of that week along with which refs graded well, where they are ranked, and whether they will make postseason games or possibly be cut for up and coming refs.  

Think back to week 1....where the refs, the NFL, the concussion protocol...literally everything was questioned and brought to light.  Did anything change?  No.  Of course not.

Nothing will change.  This was week 1 all over again except this time Cam opened his mouth and gave them ammo to spin back at him.

22 hours ago, Saca312 said:

Do you believe that the referees will now be held more accountable for their actions, and provide much better calls?

Not on your life.  The refs make fantastic, gosh awful, money for a part time job.  As many blatant no calls that have been the last two years (not only on Cam) someone would have been fired and the talking heads would bring this out in their commentary.  This is just white wash on the fence.

Archived