• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

ESPN First Take: Cam Newton Better Long Term Than Matt Ryan

Saca312

Recently saw a segment of ESPN First Take while trying to switch channels and noticed that Molly was asking the crew about who was better long-term: Cam Newton or Matt Ryan?

Obviously, I sat there expecting them to fall on their knees for Matt Ryan, but their answers surprised me.

Stephen A. Smith replied yes, due to Cam's athleticism and body, and Max Kellerman cited how big Cam is, how he impacts the game, and how he's had more playoff wins/superbowl appearances than Matt Ryan.

Fair statements. What do you guys think?

I think that these guys have no credibility when making statements about the worth of NFL players. 

That said, this division has three potential HoF QB's and one surefire HoF QB playing at the same time. It's unfortunate really because the success of one takes away from success of the others however all four are exceptional players and well above average at their position. 

I mean saying that the reigning MVP is a better long term choice than a man ~4 years his senior his hardly a 'take.' That said, in my opinion, over the courses of their careers thus far, Matt has been better on average while Cam has displayed greater variance of performance (the upswings taking him beyond Matt's steadier state). Sort of the 'higher ceiling' point that people have made for years, I guess. 

Cam lead the #1 offense last season with Mike Shula as OC, Michael Oher and Mike Remmers protecting his life and with special teams ace Tedd Ginn disguising as the #1 WR. 

Meanwhile, Matt Ryan has had all world Julio Jones and cant get out of his own way. 

The truth is in the pudding (in Matt Ryan's rear end)

5 minutes ago, h0llywood said:

Meanwhile, Matt Ryan has had all world Julio Jones and cant get out of his own way. 

He has a 114.8 QB rating and 9.8 YPA -- if that's 'can't get out of his own way,' how do you designate Cam's performance? 'Shooting self in each nut, then in the head?'

15 minutes ago, Borat said:

He has a 114.8 QB rating and 9.8 YPA -- if that's 'can't get out of his own way,' how do you designate Cam's performance? 'Shooting self in each nut, then in the head?'

Heck, Carson freaking Palmer looked elite last season.

The question of the matter is whether or not your QB can lead you through the playoffs and get to the Superbowl or not.

Cam's record in the playoffs: 3-3 (3-2 not counting the superbowl)

Matt Ryan's: 1-4

So, not counting the Superbowl, they both have been in the same number of playoff games at 5.

Cam Newton has won 2 more playoff games than Matt Ryan, and has 1 more SuperBowl performance than him.

And Cam is only in his sixth season as of now.

18 minutes ago, Borat said:

In his 9 seasons, he has 1 playoff win.

Point is Cam can win with lesser players, whereas Matt can't win with the talent he has. No doubt Ryan is playing great this year, but long term, do you think he can sustain this year's performance? 

I have more confidence in Cam returning to 2015 form next year than I do Ryan returning to 2016 form next year.

Archived