• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kony Ealy Extension?

AppHeel

Have people here thought about this seriously at all? The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me.

We are losing Charles Johnson and Mario Addison to free agency. Even if we can resign them, Johnson isn't a long term answer anymore and Addison will probably cost us enough to where we won't be paying a bunch of money for another DE in free agency. Horton and Delaire are what they are and that is rotational pieces at best. That leaves us with Kony Ealy.

I know a lot of people on this forum are meh on Ealy. He hasn't developed into the every down DE we'd hoped he would have (yet), but we also can't deny that we have seen flashes of what he could be.

As it stands, DE is definitely one of the positions we can afford to add to in order to strengthen the team. Our crop of every down DE's is already thin and if we were to lose out on Addison, I think it would make extending Kony almost a necessity. Of course we can draft an edge rusher and there are definitely candidates in play at both 8 and 40, but traditionally, it takes edge rushers a couple of years to develop; if they ever do.

Kony, I imagine, wouldn't be super expensive to retain/extend. Statistically he hasn't proven enough to be paid like a top tier DE. Most of the money he will demand will be based on upside. If we feel like that upside is still there I think extending him makes sense especially given the depth in place and questions around personnel leaving.

I honestly think we will retain all three, makes too much since. After taking  a discount, I can't see Charles Johnson asking for too much so I can see him on another 1-2 year deal (3 mill per). 

Ealy is under contract still, so to me it makes sense to let it all play out on the field and assess an extension next off-season. I personally believe we will draft another edge rusher on day two. 

With Addison, I think we are able to retain him at a respectable amount. But stranger things have happened and he may pull a Ted Ginn/Mike Mitchell and chase the money. 

Archived