• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ricky Proehl retiring?

SCP

3 minutes ago, panther4life said:

Ok, I see your thought process now. I think its unlikely he does not like the guy since he hired him 2013 tho.

Unknown how he feels about everyone short of Shula right now after last season.

Skipper is no spring chicken (age 67).  He could be thinking retirement himself.

3 minutes ago, Silent Majority said:

Both of those boys will play on saturday mostly IN STATE. Something does not compute.

Didn't even consider this but yeah.   Again I may be wrong but something isn't adding up with this whole situation.  

8 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Yes it is. It's why people still blame Gettleman when Gross retired even though Gross was quoted on his retirement.

You know what else was 2/3 weeks ago? UNC being in the bowl game against Stanford. You know, the game that Proehl referenced that he missed and part of the reason why he is retiring. Is it coincidence that the game Proehl referenced was a few days before the presser you are referencing? The UNC game was 2 days before the Panthers last game, so Proehl was likely busy coaching and missed his son's game.

If you didn't like Gettleman before, then it isn't too large of a reach, but that is because of your bias. So, you jump to conclusions because Proehl retired 1 week after your arbitrary deadline. Maybe it was a big decision for him, so I'll give him 2 weeks. Based on what Proehl said and the timing of the game he missed, it seems like rational thought is that he is retiring for the reason he said. 

Look,  I don't have a bias towards gettleman.  Critical thinking shouldn't be confused with bias.  I'm stating an opinion.   that's it.   If you're looking to change my mind about that opinion, it isn't happening.  Something is up with this whole situation. 

Maaaan this ...... This sucks on many levels! Timing, 4 staffs have been hired since the panthers last game. Anyone thinking Ricky didn't have LOADS of input on drafting both funch and KB, is wrong. KB took longer to recover form ACL, so he still has some hope. Funch.......Only saving grace is his age. Last year was a rough year, just the type of year where you need coaches to work extra hard. Now Ricky " steps down ", thanks bud!!! 

I'm guilty of overrating Ricky.

28 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

Then explain Murphy, LaFell, Dominik, Avant, Edwards, King, McNutt, etc?

You can point to Ginn but he's been the only outlier. The rest? Mediocre to garbage. Sorry, at some point you gotta blame the coaching. Proehl hasn't developed or groomed anybody in years.

That is also unfair...  Of all the guys you just named, how many developed anywhere else?  None of them.  They all have been the same guys pretty much everywhere they've played, as most guys are after being with more than one team.  So, yes, in that sense, Ginn is an outlier, not just for Proehl, but the league.  So, it's still a credit to his coaching that he could change a guy who was what he was when we got him and no one else could.  And as evidenced by your examples, not many other coaches ever do have such dramatic results as Proehl did with Ginn.

Your examples also illustrate the burden placed on Proehl.  As the old saying goes, you cant make chicken salad out of chicken poo, and he was constantly expected to do so.

Either way, i'm not here to argue it.  Just explaining my reasoning.  This past season and year in general has brought about some change in myself.  No point in arguing over crap we dont control.  Who cares?  Neither of us can change it or affect it, all we can do is sit back and be fans and suffer or enjoy what they deem to be our roster.  Oh well...

Archived