• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

We got better at every position other than WR

panther4life

I think we got better at WR if only by subtraction.   Ginn and Brown were 2 roster spots we need for players on the rise. 

I think Damiere Byrd, Keyarris Garrett, newcomers Charles Johnson and Russell Shepherd give us some competition.

Interesting thought: At the end of the season, tere were some complaints about Kelvin Benjamin.  Once has to wonder if he is not on the trading block like Ealy.  Benjamin, like Ealy, is a bit of a question mark entering the decision (at the end of the season) to give a 5th year.  There were a few times he did not run the right route and he had a coach or two get on his case.  He was criticized for being out of shape.  Who knows, but  if he is traded, it would make sense.

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I think we got better at WR if only by subtraction.   Ginn and Brown were 2 roster spots we need for players on the rise. 

I think Damiere Byrd, Keyarris Garrett, newcomers Charles Johnson and Russell Shepherd give us some competition.

Interesting thought: At the end of the season, tere were some complaints about Kelvin Benjamin.  Once has to wonder if he is not on the trading block like Ealy.  Benjamin, like Ealy, is a bit of a question mark entering the decision (at the end of the season) to give a 5th year.  There were a few times he did not run the right route and he had a coach or two get on his case.  He was criticized for being out of shape.  Who knows, but  if he is traded, it would make sense.

KB isn't going anywhere. It came out a few months ago that he was suffering swelling and pain in his repaired knee and it didn't get better until the very last game or two. The team was told it would take him two years to get back to 100% but they played him anyway. DG said he looked a lot better towards the end of the season. 

Now if he doesn't improve this year....that's a different story.

My prediction: Panthers trade Funchess and a future 3rd round pick for a 2nd round pick this year.

Panthers double up on WR in the draft. John Ross for speed and Chris Godwin as the #2 guy. Godwin has it all. Size, speed, smarts, route running, hands. He will be a solid #1 WR one day.

Panthers also draft 2 Safeties and LB in the first 3 rounds.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Was watching more of OJ Howard today and man he is amazing.   I really would consider him at 8.  He is worth a top 10 pick IMO.

He ran the same first 40 as Fornette at the combine so the speed is there.  Safe pick but amazing talent as well.

My prediction: Panthers trade Funchess and a future 3rd round pick for a 2nd round pick this year.

Panthers double up on WR in the draft. John Ross for speed and Chris Godwin as the #2 guy. Godwin has it all. Size, speed, smarts, route running, hands. He will be a solid #1 WR one day.

Panthers also draft 2 Safeties and LB in the first 3 rounds.

Sounds like an exceptional Dream I sure hope it would happen to work out that way though[emoji17]

7 hours ago, MHS831 said:

We've done some subtraction, but the additions haven't done much if anything to actually add to the WR corps. Shepard has primarily been a special teamer and Johnson is a total shot in the dark.

I have to expect we're not done addressing this position group this off season. If we are, I'm mighty disappointed 

Charles Johnson should be able to replace Brown but we don't know that until he hits the field. Shepard was mentioned as meeting with the special teams coach already and that seems to be his main objective with us. Possible he can contribute at WR, but not wise to expect him to produce much more than Bersin has these past couple years. 
A major upgrade is needed here. Simply put Benjamin is the only receiver to fully earn the trust as a full time starter. Don't take my word for it, just look at how much more playing time Ginn and Brown got over Funchess. 
So where do we go from here? I'd love to add another vet presence like Boldin or even Cruz. However we cant stop there. We should either make a trade for an upgrade or take another stab at at a WR in the draft.

Theres actually a pretty well researched thread on here regarding Russell Shepard from the Bucs. Has me thinking that Shepard could easily replace Teddy Gimp Hands jr. Apparently he was Tampa Bay's Ace Special teams player and he's only 26.

12 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

I've wanted Boldin forever, it's clear it's never going to happen so this offseason i gave up on that. The signings of Shepard and Johnson essentially point towards Gettleman not wanting a vet slot guy. 

As far as the draft goes I love John Ross' game. The injuries scare the hell out of me but he brings everything we're lacking in our WR group. 

He's so much more than that straight line speed that most speedsters are known for. I see a lot of Desean Jackson in him but I'd even go as far as saying Ross has a lot more shake to his game when the ball is in his hands.

That end around Ross scores on against Arizona was stupid. Dude had nowhere to go and created an outside lane for himself by getting the corner to bite on a inside move. 

I mean god damn. Then there's the play where he leaves Adoree on his ass at the LOS. 

Ross creates so much separation regardless of where the ball. I've seen this guy get 3 yards separation on plays ran from the goal line. Ross is able to get separation because you have to RESPECT his speed, so if he gives you that step inside of the line you almost have to bite.

Ross / KB / Charles Johnson could be worth a shot

If it weren't for the injuries Ross would be among my top wants for our #8 pick (it's been that way since long before he tore up the combine).  And as it stands, I still wouldn't be mad if we took him there.  That would just tell me the team targeted him as the guy they wanted and did not believe he would fall to where they would have a reasonable chance to get him. 

Too often we get caught up in value that we forget that the whole point of the draft is to bring in the best guys to make your team better.  Nobody cares that you got good value for a guy as he's running 80 yards downfield for a touchdown.  If you think this is the best guy to help make your team better, and you truly do not believe he will be there for your next pick, then take him and don't look back.

9 hours ago, weyco2000 said:

That's why we're taking Zay Jones in the second round and trading our 6 and 7 round picks to get Switzer in the middle of the 5th.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

I love Zay Jones.  IMO, he has the total package...good speed, outstanding route runner, unafraid to go up and get the ball, and he must have stickum in his DNA they way he catches anything thrown his way.  I believe he has the skillset to develop into a legitimate #1 receiver.  I think he would be a great fit with Benjamin as our WR's going forward.

Archived