• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How to fix it (Offense)

Mr. Scot

(Currently posting different threads breaking down changes that I feel need to be made if we're going to salvage this season; keep in mind as you read that not everything can be fixed this year, so I'm attempting to concentrate on those things which realistically can be, and going unit by unit)

OFFENSE

Going into this season, most expected the defense to be a rough spot. The offense, on the other hand, was supposed to have a good enough core to be good enough to carry the team. That hasn’t been the case, and there are myriad reasons. Five stand out to me as the largest issues, and I’ll address how to correct four of them here.

Go back to last year’s playcalling

To Davidson’s credit, in the first half tonight he called the kind of game that was well-suited to attacking the style of defense that Dallas plays. The execution was lacking at points, but the playcalling was fairly logical and some plays looked very creatively designed.

In the second half, it all went downhill.

This team made its money last season off of two things: Solid running and play–action passes. This season, we’ve gotten way too pass happy. It was evident even before now that the team had gotten away from that. Tonight’s final drives brought it into painful focus.

Granted, the run hasn’t been what it was last year, but running the ball is like body punching. It takes the wind out of the defense when done properly. Part of doing it properly is sticking with it, and the team just hasn’t done that.

Creative play design is great, but at this point I’d trade creativity for commitment without a second thought.

Get Duke Robinson Ready To Play

The right side of the offensive line last year was a combination of bulldozer and road grader. This year it’s closer to bulldozer and cheese grater.

It’s clear that the line isn’t what it was last season, and part of the reason for that is that Keydrick Vincent isn’t what he was last season. I don’t know if it’s the late injury, it it’s age and wear or if it’s something else. The why doesn’t matter to me so much as the what.

I’m not sure if Duke Robinson is ready to take the leap to starting, but he needs to be…soon. Style-wise, Robinson is the kind of mauler that could be a force if he plays to potential and meshes with Kalil and Otah. We need that if we’re going to get back to having a dominant run game, a factor on which the whole offense depends.

Do the Big Uglys as a whole unit need work? Probably, but this to me is the one personnel move I would make on the line.

Fix one of two things: Brad Hoover’s back or Tony Fiammetta’s hands

Short and sweet, Hoover’s health issues aren’t something that can just be fixed via force of will or magic wand. With that said, if he gets healthy he needs to stay in the mentor role a little longer.

Hoover was always underrated as a receiving weapon. Fiammetta has yet to show he can fill that role on a consistent basis. If Hoover can’t go, Fiammetta needs enough practice as a receiver to get that part of his game up to par.

Elevate Kenny Moore / Deactivate Dwayne Jarrett

This has been discussed ad nauseum. Little point in going into the details again.

Suffice to say, just do it already.

___________________________________________________________________________________

In summary, dance with the one that brought ya, realize it's time to admit you made a boo boo on a high draft pick, and get the heir apparents at two key positions ready to go.

You’ll likely notice there’s no mention of the quarterback position here. That’s because I believe that position deserves its own thread.

Only one reply? The offense lost this game tonight, no question. The defense performed admirably considering the were on the field pretty much the entire second half. Poor tackling, a couple blown coverages, mistakes, sure....but the offense was dreadful. How do you only give the ball to Deangelo and Stewart a combined 14 times in this game? It wasn't even a two score game until Jake threw that pick with over 5 minutes in the game. Even down by a score with 5 minutes they should have been running. The play calling was ridiculous.

Mr. Scot is right, running the ball is the identity of this team. There is a reason they felt the need to go out and spend 2 1st round picks last year on a RB and RT. Just so....frustrated. Carolina easily could of won that game, and they blew it.

When we did run it was telegraphed to the entire stadium. Part of that was that Jake couldn't or wouldn't audible out of doomed plays. News flash: when the other team shows it is sending extra players up the A gap, your HB dive up the middle probably isn't going to work.

I can't even begin to express the stupidity of sending Moose on deep routes multiple times EVERY SINGLE GAME!

When we did run it was telegraphed to the entire stadium. Part of that was that Jake couldn't or wouldn't audible out of doomed plays. News flash: when the other team shows it is sending extra players up the A gap, your HB dive up the middle probably isn't going to work.

I can't even begin to express the stupidity of sending Moose on deep routes multiple times EVERY SINGLE GAME!

Yeah, I'm not getting that either. It's like they are determined to get Moose down the field, rather than a solid 8-10 yard route which is his bread and butter.

Only one reply? The offense lost this game tonight, no question. The defense performed admirably considering the were on the field pretty much the entire second half. Poor tackling, a couple blown coverages, mistakes, sure....but the offense was dreadful. How do you only give the ball to Deangelo and Stewart a combined 14 times in this game? It wasn't even a two score game until Jake threw that pick with over 5 minutes in the game. Even down by a score with 5 minutes they should have been running. The play calling was ridiculous.

Mr. Scot is right, running the ball is the identity of this team. There is a reason they felt the need to go out and spend 2 1st round picks last year on a RB and RT. Just so....frustrated. Carolina easily could of won that game, and they blew it.

If you think our D played well you have in Indeed been watching Panthers for far too. In the first half they played well until we got the lead. In the second half the Cowboys march up and down the field and if it wasn't for some big mistakes on there part they would have blown us out of the water.

I think it is due more to Fox as they proved early in that game that the D has talent. But Fox went back to his crap CBs 10 yards off the recivever and few effective blitzing. I am so sick of Fox. I'm sick of this offense and Jake Delhomme and I am extremely sick of this D. If Fox is our coach next season I will not watch a single panther with him as our Coach again.

(Currently posting different threads breaking down changes that I feel need to be made if we're going to salvage this season; keep in mind as you read that not everything can be fixed this year, so I'm attempting to concentrate on those things which realistically can be, and going unit by unit)

OFFENSE

Going into this season, most expected the defense to be a rough spot. The offense, on the other hand, was supposed to have a good enough core to be good enough to carry the team. That hasn’t been the case, and there are myriad reasons. Five stand out to me as the largest issues, and I’ll address how to correct four of them here.

Go back to last year’s playcalling

To Davidson’s credit, in the first half tonight he called the kind of game that was well-suited to attacking the style of defense that Dallas plays. The execution was lacking at points, but the playcalling was fairly logical and some plays looked very creatively designed.

In the second half, it all went downhill.

This team made its money last season off of two things: Solid running and play–action passes. This season, we’ve gotten way too pass happy. It was evident even before now that the team had gotten away from that. Tonight’s final drives brought it into painful focus.

Granted, the run hasn’t been what it was last year, but running the ball is like body punching. It takes the wind out of the defense when done properly. Part of doing it properly is sticking with it, and the team just hasn’t done that.

Creative play design is great, but at this point I’d trade creativity for commitment without a second thought.

Get Duke Robinson Ready To Play

The right side of the offensive line last year was a combination of bulldozer and road grader. This year it’s closer to bulldozer and cheese grater.

It’s clear that the line isn’t what it was last season, and part of the reason for that is that Keydrick Vincent isn’t what he was last season. I don’t know if it’s the late injury, it it’s age and wear or if it’s something else. The why doesn’t matter to me so much as the what.

I’m not sure if Duke Robinson is ready to take the leap to starting, but he needs to be…soon. Style-wise, Robinson is the kind of mauler that could be a force if he plays to potential and meshes with Kalil and Otah. We need that if we’re going to get back to having a dominant run game, a factor on which the whole offense depends.

Do the Big Uglys as a whole unit need work? Probably, but this to me is the one personnel move I would make on the line.

Fix one of two things: Brad Hoover’s back or Tony Fiammetta’s hands

Short and sweet, Hoover’s health issues aren’t something that can just be fixed via force of will or magic wand. With that said, if he gets healthy he needs to stay in the mentor role a little longer.

Hoover was always underrated as a receiving weapon. Fiammetta has yet to show he can fill that role on a consistent basis. If Hoover can’t go, Fiammetta needs enough practice as a receiver to get that part of his game up to par.

Elevate Kenny Moore / Deactivate Dwayne Jarrett

This has been discussed ad nauseum. Little point in going into the details again.

Suffice to say, just do it already.

___________________________________________________________________________________

In summary, dance with the one that brought ya, realize it's time to admit you made a boo boo on a high draft pick, and get the heir apparents at two key positions ready to go.

You’ll likely notice there’s no mention of the quarterback position here. That’s because I believe that position deserves its own thread.

I'm wondering if Robinson is what we though he was in college or is this another example of our shitty Coach wanting experience over talent? And tell me something how many times has Fox said that Jake only has to manage the game? And yet every game since the Cards it seems like they are throwing far more. We have the best RBs in the league and we are just not running it as much anymore. The reason the running game has not been effective is Fox or Davidson doesn't let it get in a rhythm. Jake will never be effective with this type of gameplaning.

Moose had a very productive and successful career. But it is time for him to spend more time with his family. He looks old out there and it showed badly last night. I think one of the reasons why the Panthers can't run the ball effectively is because the opposing defense does not respect our passing game. All they do is put 3-4 guys on Steve Smith and our other receivers (including Moose) can't/don't get open.

Moose had a decent game except for the ticky-tacky penalty and the lack of effort on the underthrown ball by Jake that led to the INT. Why we are calling plays like the INT to him and why Jake is throwing that ball to him is beyond me. Moose is a possession receiver and is good 20 yards and in, he's never had the speed to beat corners on long passes.

Moose had a very productive and successful career. But it is time for him to spend more time with his family. He looks old out there and it showed badly last night. I think one of the reasons why the Panthers can't run the ball effectively is because the opposing defense does not respect our passing game. All they do is put 3-4 guys on Steve Smith and our other receivers (including Moose) can't/don't get open.

Amen.. It was a nice run Moose, but it is time to ride the pine. Get Moore and Jarrett out there, and run the freaking ball more........!

Archived