• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2016 losses recap.(Shula haters you have some explaining to do)

panther4life

It started with the first damn game of the year in Denver. 

3rd and 1 at midfield in the 3rd...

We're up and moving the ball, easy QB sneak to pick up the 1st here right?

No, the moron calls a naked bootleg that Denver doesn't fall for and stops. We punt, Denver starts their comeback.

Shula and Gano share equal responsibility for this one. Good thing we took care of these type of problems this offseason... oh wait 

I feel the exact same frustrations with the timeout management myself. One thing I am not clear on this, the communication device from the OC to the QB is cut off with 15 seconds left. To me, 15 seconds seems like plenty of time to get the playcalled and everyone lined up. 
Either way, whatever is causing the problem there needs to stop. 

The issue there, and you can see it by Cams reactions and facial expressions, is that Shula doesn't actually give Cam the play call until the last second. I've even seen Cam after calling a timeout yelling "get me the play. Hurry up and give it to me." In clear frustration.

15 seconds isn't all that much when you've got to call it in the huddle as quickly as possible, get up to the line, make sure everyone is set, and possibly be reading the defense for adjustments, sending a motion guy or 2, snap the ball, etc. Those plays should be flying in and done with 22 seconds left, so Cam has time to get it all done.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I don't get why people are willing to settle for Shula. Don't you want better? Aren't you tired of the status quo? We seem to waste more timeouts on offense because of his lack of ability to pick a damn play. I'm tired of him at the helm of this offense.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

11 minutes ago, SCP said:

I don't get why people are willing to settle for Shula. Don't you want better? Aren't you tired of the status quo? We seem to waste more timeouts on offense because of his lack of ability to pick a damn play. I'm tired of him at the helm of this offense.

If we fired him this offseason I'd be excited about the new offensive coordinator to see what he can do. However he's not horrible enough to have see people constantly bitch about him. The way people portray him is that no matter what we do including drafting someone like Fournette Shula is going to find a way to fug everything up for us. That's simply not true and even his biggest critics have to admit we are capable of having the number one offense in the league with Cam as his QB. 

Im cautiously optimistic about us this year even tho I'm not sold Gettleman has done enough yet. But with the draft still coming up and the possibility of landing more veteran help later in the offseason we may just get back to the promise land. But the season is a long way away and having to read people make the same tired complaints about a guy who isn't going anywhere offseason just gets annoying.

Shula is the one that needs to explain why he sucks so bad and the Panthers need to explain how the offense will "evolve" with him continuing to call BS plays. The only way it will evolve is if Cam's earpiece in his helmet malfunctions every game and he calls his own plays.

May have been mentioned in this thread, but I will always think back to the game this last season (sorry, mind blanking on the game), where the offense has the ball, in rhythm, with a lead....1:30 or so on the clock and Cam is waiting on the play call, wanting to go for the kill.

He gets the call, late, and it's a run. Cam literally yelled at the sideline, said some bad words, and barely gave a damn running the clock out before just walking off the field before the last play was even over. Whether that's a Ron call or not, I have and still think the players disagree with Shula...a lot. That's a problem. 

2 hours ago, panther4life said:

I've always argued that Blaming Shula is the laziest excuse I have ever seen panther fans make. First 4 responses only strengthen my stance on that. I'm open for debate on the matter, I presented my case in favor of him,someone please show me how I am wrong. 

You wouldn't believe it.  It's actually sounding like a broken record.  I hate shula's play calling.  He's predictable. 

26 minutes ago, SCP said:

I love you, man.

2 hours ago, NJPanthers12 said:

Week 5 bucs first and goal at the 1 he throws the ball.  Shula is a moron.

cam is an all-pro MVP. that's not a stupid call.

but when you are consistently bad at scheming around your players' strengths and weaknesses, draw plays that end up with receivers colliding in similar areas of the field, can't adjust to the opposition's changes, and generally rely on having championship-caliber players at all positions to succeed you are going to be analyzed for making those types of calls.

mike shula is not the cause of all our offensive woes, but he contributes nothing that anyone else couldn't contribute and his weaknesses have manifested themselves over and over. i think we can win championships in spite of him, but that's an embarrassing thing to have to say.

2 hours ago, panther4life said:

Can someone show me play's either in the form of gif's or highlights where Shula cost us games last year with his play calling? I'll go first and present the case he is taking way too much heat and has become the Huddle's favorite scapegoat and frankly its unjustified. We lost 10 games last year. 6 of which were by a field goal or less and the blame extends far beyond Shula on those, to the point where he's the least of our problems. So without further ado, lets take a trip down memory lane.

Week 1 at Denver- While Cam experienced bounty gate 2.0 and we were still in position to win the game 23-20 if Gano did not miss a field goal.  After the game the biggest complaints were the ref's for fuging cam over and Gano for fuging everyone over.

Week 3 vs Minnesota. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000709138/Vikings-vs-Panthers-highlights We jumped out 10-0 early. The momentum changed when Cam took a sack/safety in the end zone that was unnecessary. He held the ball way too long looking for the deep pass. Pause at 45 seconds and you'll see Dickson was his outlet/safety valve and had enough room to either make it 3rd and short or possibly a 1st down. Next big play was a punt return for a TD by the Vikings. Score  is now 10-8 Panthers. Next drive, Panthers are driving and if Newton under throws ginn for what would have been a TD, instead Vikings take over on their own 4 yard line. Nail in the coffin is our final offensive drive. O-line fails miserably in picking up Blitz and Cam is sacked almost immediately, except he doesn't get sacked and throws up a dumbass interception out of pure frustration/desperation. 

Week 4 at Atlanta we put 33 points. Defense gave up 48. No need to cover that nightmare any further. 

Week 5 vs Bucs.http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000719110/Buccaneers-vs-Panthers-highlights First thing that went wrong was Teddy Williams bumping into Ginn to drop in the punt return and play results in a turnover. Next turnover comes at 1:40 mark. Anderson forces pass to Benjamin and ball gets tipped resulting in an interception. Better option was Tedd Ginn who was open or since there was no pressure in the pocket yet, let the play continue to develop further. At 2:56 minute mark, you'll see Gano miss another field goal. 4:58 we are driving again in Bucs territory. Anderson scrambles for first down and then fumbles the ball for a turnover.

5:42 Anderson fugs up again. We drove all the way to the 2 yard line and Anderson makes a boneheaded pick thrown into double coverage in the end zone on a pass intended for Olsen. This was the time to hit Benjamin who had the positioning to catch the TD on a crossing route.  Maybe the pressure caused him to not look that way, however Tolbert was   in his line of sight and open as well.  The video won't show it but apparently out last drive and final chance to win stalled on  3rd and 2 with a run by Cap stuffed for a loss. So sure Pin that on Shula if you'd like since I have no video evidence to make a decision one way or the other. However tough to blame the OC when 4 turnovers occurred and all were clearly the fault of the players.

Week 6 @ New Orleans. Final score 41-38 New Orleans. Looking at the boxscore we had 11 drives. 6 ended in scores and 5 in punts. 4 of which we pinned N.O inside the 20.

Week 10 vs the Chiefs. We jump out to a 17- 0 lead early. Chiefs were 7-2 coming into this game btw. 17-3 at the half. Chiefs get ball first in 2nd half. We stop them. Offense goes on a clock killing 10+ minute drive. We drive all the way to the Chiefs 20 yard line. Berry pushes cam out of bounds for a 1 yard loss. 2nd and 11 now. Dee ford blows past Daryl Willams for a sack. Heres the play: http://www.chiefs.com/media-center/videos/Dee-Ford-sacks-former-Auburn-teammate-Cam-Newton/91ff069b-b27a-429a-a60f-befc5e02fe66

Now its 3rd down. Trai Turner takes his turn getting punished and this sack knocks out of field goal range.

Heres the play:http://www.chiefs.com/media-center/videos/Chris-Jones-sacks-Cam-Newton-followed-by-a-dab/adf076fd-5ca5-473b-815e-b24edba9129a

So here we are up 17-3, in the redzone again at the end of the third after a great time killing drive to almost seal the game. The o-line fails miserably here and now we are out of FG range. Chiefs drive and score a field goal. Game is now 17-6. We are back on offense and its 3rd and 6. Chiefs send a blitz up the middle, rattles Cam, he panics and throws up a lazy pick to Berry intended for Benjamin. Berry of course runs is back 40 yards for a pick 6. Now its 17-10.  We get ball back, drive stalls after a few plays. Chiefs get ball back and score a field goal.

Nail in coffin moment. Game looks poised for over time or us winning on a last second field goal. Cam completes a 14 a yard pass to Benjamin, who has it stripped. Chiefs ultimately kick game winning field goal.

Week 12- We lose 35-32 to the raiders. Not going in depth on this one since we put up 32 points and were in position to at least send the game to overtime. I'll just leave this quote from ESPN'S game recap here. 

Week 13 we lose 40-9. I'm not reliving that nightmare so blame Shula for this one if you'd like.

Week 16 we lost 33-16 to the Falcons. Same as above,as I am getting tired of this exercise. But if someone wants to debunk me on the other games and challenge me on this one, I'll find time.

Week 17 we lost to Bucs by 1 point. Had a chance to win at the end, but Olsen dropped the winning 2 point conversion.

really makes u think

1 hour ago, Chardee MacDennis said:

It's the frustration of calling timeouts because the play clock is running down way too often. It's a waste of a timeout and points to a lack of discipline and organization with getting the play called in time. And it happens all the time.

It's watching the two TE formation on 3rd and 7, with only 2 WRs both lined up outside. And 1 RB. And one TE plus RB stay in to block, one TE runs straight down the field 4 yards and turns around, and the WRs both run out 5 yards and cross or hitch. When we need 7 yards. And every single potential option to pick up the first is running their routes shorter than the line to gain. Makes zero sense.

It's the 3rd and short plays where we go 3 wide, 1 RB and one TE. And we need 2 yards. And cam is dropping back 7 steps while everyone runs fly routes 20 yards down field.

It's the amount of times I yell "WTF!?" at my tv during games because the play called on offense either A) makes no sense to the in-game scenario or B) puts the players in a position to fail or C) everyone from the announcers to the other teams players know what is coming or D) takes too long to get to the field from the box.

It's a combination of factors that point me to the belief that Shula needs to go. Why is Cam getting hit so often while in the pocket? Because the protection sucks. But also, no changes are made to the game plan. He is still dropping back 5-7 steps regularly with our poo protection, and therefore he's getting sacked/ pressured/having to scramble more often. Why continue to drop him back so far and run these extremely slow developing plays when there are other effective ways to move the ball down to field.

Also, it's the inconsistency. Some drives are really well called, while others are straight head scratchers. And, when the head coach comes out and says in the off-season that the offense needs to evolve, clearly the OC should be on the hot seat.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Exactly I totally forgot about those infuriating time outs and delay if games cause the call takes FOREVER to come through 

Archived