• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I Bleed Carolina Blue

chknwing

Just now, Burnout189 said:

It's actually a pretty dumb and narrow minded view, by this argument you can't be a Panther fan unless you are from or live in the Carolinas. I grew up a UNC fan even though none of my family had any affiliation with the school, being a big MJ fan also contributed. I actually attended UNCC before joining the Army, even though I would have loved to attend UNC I just could never afford it. But I've never been a UNCC fan, and have still always maintained being a UNC fan my whole life. Just because I never went there, does not negate that fact.

If you watched the video - pro sports teams are excluded.  Nobody has ever paid tuition, attended classes, studied for finals, joined campus organizations, or received diplomas from the Carolina Panthers.

Just now, ECUPantherFan said:

If you watched the video - pro sports teams are excluded.  Nobody has ever paid tuition, attended classes, studied for finals, joined campus organizations, or received diplomas from the Carolina Panthers.

Yeah, but it's the same line of logic. By going to that teams games or events, buying their official merchandise, supporting their charities and affiliations, etc it's all the same as all of the activities you described that a student would take part in at a university. Or let me ask you this, what about people who did not attend college and went straight to the work field out of high school? They can't cheer for a college, team even if they grew up a fan of that school, simply because they never got the chance to attend?

Just now, Burnout189 said:

Yeah, but it's the same line of logic. By going to that teams games or events, buying their official merchandise, supporting their charities and affiliations, etc it's all the same as all of the activities you described that a student would take part in at a university. Or let me ask you this, what about people who did not attend college and went straight to the work field out of high school? They can't cheer for a college, team even if they grew up a fan of that school, simply because they never got the chance to attend?

No, that's not true.  Buying merchandise, supporting charities and going to games does not even come close to uprooting your life for several years to live on or around a college campus, attend classes every day, stay up all night studying for exams, etc.  The amount of sacrifice and work that goes into earning your degree and building a lifelong bond with your ALMA MATER is so, so much more than any amount of merchandise purchased, charities supported,etc.

For the people who didn't attend the university or college in general, it's fine to watch college sports and be excited by the pageantry and traditions... but you just have to suck it up and accept the reality that you're NOT a part of it in any meaningful way.  That sucks, but it is what it is.

2 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

I'm not a Dookie. I never went to Duke, have no plans to attend Duke, and honestly don't care much for ACC basketball period. However, I am not afraid to sit here and suggest that 95% of the folks who profess their love for UNC also did not attend school there and more likely attended the "college attire" section of Wal-Mart to get their first taste of UNC. 

Well I'm pretty sure 99% of the people here have never worked for the panthers so does that mean we can't cheer for them either?

34 minutes ago, ECUPantherFan said:

No, it's pretty dead-on accurate.  All these Wal-Heel t-shirt fans... "cause my diddy loved Kurlina!"  UNC alumni want nothing to do with you.

I went to UNC... I'm good with them cheering for the team

Just now, uncfan888 said:

Nah, I just think you're taking it too seriously. 99.9% of Duke fans probably couldn't point to Durham on a map. Who cares

I once asked 2 Carolina "fans" who resembled Hank and Bobby Hill if Chapel Hill was east or west of Raleigh.  They had no idea.

Just now, uncfan888 said:

Nah, I just think you're taking it too seriously. 99.9% of Duke fans probably couldn't point to Durham on a map. Who cares

This is spot on. I worked with a guy who was a obnoxious dook fan. Asked him one day what town  was duke located in.  

And he had no idea 

1 minute ago, ECUPantherFan said:

I once asked 2 Carolina "fans" who resembled Hank and Bobby Hill if Chapel Hill was east or west of Raleigh.  They had no idea.

Every fan base is going to have goobers like that who know little to nothing about the actual school or team while still rooting for them. I live in AL now and I've seen my fair share of Tide fans that probably couldn't tell you who the teams starting QB was for the current year. It is what it is.

Since when did it become a crime to attend a different university not as prestigious in the sports realm and not be able to be a fan of another university?

I went to school to further my education and obtain an enjoyable career that would provide for my family. I watch UNC ball because I'm from the Carolinas and I love the sport. Get over yourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

3 hours ago, ECUPantherFan said:

No, it's pretty dead-on accurate.  All these Wal-Heel t-shirt fans... "cause my diddy loved Kurlina!"  UNC alumni want nothing to do with you.

UNC, the school as a whole, loves the type of fan you're talking about though. Brings more money to the school.

Archived