• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft Analysis RB Christian McCaffrey - Patience, Vision, And Versatility; Traits of a Successful RB In Today's NFL

Saca312

I've been thinking he's like Brian Westbrook or even Marcus Allen. He's going to be a good workhorse running back for someone -- hope it is us. The kid is still young and putting on another 10 -15 lbs of muscle weight isn't unexpected once he gets to the pros.

He's a smart, patient running back, too and with Le'Veon Bell tearing up the league with those same qualities...

Came across a nice radio segment where there's a broadcaster and a stat man talking about McCaffrey's 4 biggest myths. Here's a link to it. Its almost 30 min long so if you dont want to listen here's a summary in writing :

* = Stat Man

# = broadcaster

Myth 1 : " Cant be an Every Down, back, Can't win against a loaded box "

* average 5.86 yards per attempt when facing 8 or more defenders in the box  (comapred to LF 5.5 yard per attempt)

* McCafrey has a really good knowledge of understanding and exploiting gaps in defense

Myth 2 : Can't Run between the tackles

* 60 percent of carries at Stanford, between the tackles

* 4.93 yards per attempt between the tackles (better than Cook and Fournette)

Myth 3 : He would be better off just as a slot reciever

* only 2 percent of NFL RBs are more agile than C.M. ?(going off combine stats? not further explained)

# Receiving threat is still a need, a receiving threat that you  have to plan extra for (i.e. to run or catch) , would fulfill two of the panthers greatest needs as a top receiver and RB . Need a guy to create space from scrimmage immediately

* Panthers do not have anyone on offense that can really create for themselves , dont have a spark plug on offense that cam really needs at this point in his career (MY OPINION especially that Ginn is gone now)

#  Oline below average, recievers arent getting open quickly, need someone to get open quickly to check down to

Myth 4 (they say this is more opnion based) His decision not to play in bowl game is a big character issue?

(Dont think this one is worth explaining, listen to it if you must).

# McCaffrey is one of 12 RBs over the past 16 years, to run for over 3500 yards and have over 1000 receiving yards

On 4/12/2017 at 2:16 PM, Khyber53 said:

I've been thinking he's like Brian Westbrook or even Marcus Allen. He's going to be a good workhorse running back for someone -- hope it is us. The kid is still young and putting on another 10 -15 lbs of muscle weight isn't unexpected once he gets to the pros.

He's a smart, patient running back, too and with Le'Veon Bell tearing up the league with those same qualities...

Yeah people are making a huge deal about his weight and Fournette is like 228 now? I'm guessing his playing weight is going to be like 235 while McCaffrey is 203.  That's a differnce of 32 lbs and Fournette a couple inches taller and a power runner at that. I could see McCaffrey gaining 10lbs just by getting on an NFL diet and weight training routine, that puts him at 213 , about 20 lbs lighter than fournette, which isn't the world of difference especially for a back that isn't all about pushing piles.

I think we all agree though he's just going to get slapped around if he stays at 203 for his NFL career. 10-15 lbs of weight isn't a world of difference and he'll probably do it during his rookie year.  Don't forget the dude is also only 20 years old, he'll be 21 for his first season, still extremely young. By the time he hits 23-24 he'll probably be 220 and jacked after 2-3 seasons of NFL dieting and weight training, and I assume probably working out with Stew. (BTW Stewart is 1 inch shorter than mcCaffrey at 5'10'' and 235..yeah Stew is pretty damn thick I admit. You probably won't want McCaffrey to get anything above 220 if you want to maintain his speed and shiftiness).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived