• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

fournette vs mccaffrey

juliosantos

Fournette vs. McCaffrey is like WalMart vs. Tiffany's mmmmk ?

We have a fluke season and get a fluky 8th pick

When you are that close to the top of the draft due to a fluky season you say screw it, were move up and get the player we truly want.

We're trading up for Fournette because he is the best player in the draft for this team.

Knowing we can get McCaffrey at 8 I still believe Gettleman is like no, I want the player I want, and I'm trading up to do it ... when there is someone you really like and you are that close to getting him you go get the guy you want, you don't wait at the clearance rack and see what you can get there

We're not going to have any more opportunities with Cam to trade up from 8 ... we're not going to get a pick this high again for a while, so when you do have a pick this high, you try and get an even higher pick for the player you want

At 8 we'll still get a really good player even if "x" player is gone. No. That is bullshit.

When you are picking this high (and you really have no business to be with your QB being an MVP) you get the player YOU WANT. And you've gotta be dumb to believe Gettleman isn't salivating at pairing Fournette with Cam.

25 minutes ago, PantherProfessor said:

If Fournette is the guy they covet, and he's gone at 8 then they need to make a move.  I would be ok with McCaffery, but would prefer to trade down 4-6 spots and get another 2nd rounder or even a 3rd.  I think he is still there at 12-14, which still may be a reach, but probably safe if he's the next guy they like.

The versatility and big play ability of McCaffery would be worth the pick, we need an injection of explosiveness to this offense.

OK, so in the perfect storm of draft day scenarios...we trade #8 to the the browns for #12 and #52 (maybe 65 instead) so they can leapfrog the Bills for their QB. Getting McCaffrey at 12 plus a 3rd round pick sure feels a lot better than at #8. I know that it's unlikely, but it's preseason and wild a$$ scenarios are all we have for 2 weeks.

28 minutes ago, top dawg said:

A third is not enough compensation. Gaining an additional second is the only way I'd do it. And if the second is too far back, then I'd demand a second and a third.

agreed, a 2nd would be ideal compensation for dropping spots.  but, it would depend on how far back we move, and the pick in that round, i.e. first few picks in the 3rd vs last few picks in the 2nd.

but, probably the bigger issue is the fact that once you are out of the top 10, a lot of the guys are on equal footing for picks 10-20, so there isn't as much motivation for teams to give up as much to just ahead a few spots.  maybe this is just perception, but picks are only worth what someone is willing to give up in order to trade.

the draft never goes as planned, one team making a move out of the ordinary can send everything out the window.  lets hope the chaos is in front of us and we can reap the benefits.

31 minutes ago, Fournettecation said:

Fournette vs. McCaffrey is like WalMart vs. Tiffany's mmmmk ?

We have a fluke season and get a fluky 8th pick

When you are that close to the top of the draft due to a fluky season you say screw it, were move up and get the player we truly want.

We're trading up for Fournette because he is the best player in the draft for this team.

Knowing we can get McCaffrey at 8 I still believe Gettleman is like no, I want the player I want, and I'm trading up to do it ... when there is someone you really like and you are that close to getting him you go get the guy you want, you don't wait at the clearance rack and see what you can get there

We're not going to have any more opportunities with Cam to trade up from 8 ... we're not going to get a pick this high again for a while, so when you do have a pick this high, you try and get an even higher pick for the player you want

This team also has issues with starters and quality depth in a few key areas: Oline, safety, DE, etc...  some would even argue that a RB in the 1st is a luxury pick that we cant afford.

Don't get me wrong, I like Fournette, and would be OK with him at 8 since we are there.  however, I don't think decimating your draft stock over one guy via trading up is going to make any sense for this team long term. 

Gettleman has always said, "you are never one player away..", so I don't see him giving up all of those assets to move up a few spots for "his guy", even if that's true.  Not in the first round anyway where the stakes are so high.

He also values the money side of things and the cap flexibility ability rookie contracts give you.  the contract side of drafting guys is as big of a deal as the player at times.  it enables you to pay existing guys and keep the team intact for long term success.

2 hours ago, PantherProfessor said:

If Fournette is the guy they covet, and he's gone at 8 then they need to make a move.  I would be ok with McCaffery, but would prefer to trade down 4-6 spots and get another 2nd rounder or even a 3rd.  I think he is still there at 12-14, which still may be a reach, but probably safe if he's the next guy they like.

The versatility and big play ability of McCaffery would be worth the pick, we need an injection of explosiveness to this offense.

dont think he lasts...if we want him we need to pull the trigger at 8

3 minutes ago, tarheelfan23 said:

dont think he lasts...if we want him we need to pull the trigger at 8

quite possible.  we just have to see what happens up top, there may be a QB run or other trades that mix it up.  I just don't see many other teams other than JAX looking for RB help in the top 10.  but, who knows

Basically depends on how Ron and Co plan on "evolving" the offense. If it's the proverbial 3 yards and a cloud of dust then Fournette is the man.

One thing you can't forget is that McC is a multi-dimensional player and would fill several holes... 

Oh yeh, and it might not be offense in the first, Getty loves him some hog mollies.

1 minute ago, mc52beast said:

Basically depends on how Ron and Co plan on "evolving" the offense. If it's the proverbial 3 yards and a cloud of dust then Fournette is the man.

One thing you can't forget is that McC is a multi-dimensional player and would fill several holes... 

Oh yeh, and it might not be offense in the first, Getty loves him some hog mollies.

If they evolve by putting Cam under center 80+% of the time...Fournette could work out here.

If the evolve by becoming less predictable....then McCaffrey is the pick.

2 hours ago, PantherProfessor said:

quite possible.  we just have to see what happens up top, there may be a QB run or other trades that mix it up.  I just don't see many other teams other than JAX looking for RB help in the top 10.  but, who knows

but he is not "just" a rb.....i have seen several people call him the best route runner in the draft, and that includes WR....pretty impressive

4 hours ago, Fournettecation said:

At 8 we'll still get a really good player even if "x" player is gone. No. That is bullshit.

When you are picking this high (and you really have no business to be with your QB being an MVP) you get the player YOU WANT. And you've gotta be dumb to believe Gettleman isn't salivating at pairing Fournette with Cam.

Haha, you say that now, but come April 2018 you'll be crying about how we don't have a 1st round pick. 

Archived