• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

fournette vs mccaffrey

juliosantos

ok heres the scenario fournettes not going to be there at # 8 so we would have to jump to # 2  to get them and lets just say it costs us this years first and 4th and next years first . or we can keep the first and get mccaffrey at # 8 . How big is the drop off between him and fournette? both stars both dominated college football , fournette is a better fit but mccaffrey is most likely better than him when it comes to shotgun and we run most of our offense out of the gun. What scenario would you take? For a #8 pick we need a player thats going to change this team right away thats why id take both these guys over pass rushers that wont even be the starter this season unless its thomas or garrett . it all comes down to this is it worth losing picks for fournette when we can get mccaffrey? 

I don't think there's any player in this draft worth the stupid cost of trading up. I think we should stay at 8 or trade down.

There's been way too much talk about McCaffrey when the only time this organization seems to take offense players in the 1st is out of absolute necessity. I bet you its going to be a screwball pick like a LB or Jonathan Allen.

Just now, Hoenheim said:

I don't think there's any player in this draft worth the stupid cost of trading up. I think we should stay at 8 or trade down.

There's been way too much talk about McCaffrey when the only time this organization seems to take offense players in the 1st is out of absolute necessity. I bet you its going to be a screwball pick like a LB or Jonathan Allen.

i hope to god its not allen 

If Fournette is the guy they covet, and he's gone at 8 then they need to make a move.  I would be ok with McCaffery, but would prefer to trade down 4-6 spots and get another 2nd rounder or even a 3rd.  I think he is still there at 12-14, which still may be a reach, but probably safe if he's the next guy they like.

The versatility and big play ability of McCaffery would be worth the pick, we need an injection of explosiveness to this offense.

Gettlemen's been more right than wrong.  Fournette is a superior running back and would seem to fit well into what we are doing.   However we have enough holes where we can't trade first round picks for 6 spots.  There is always a curveball in the top 10.  A really good player is going to fall to us.  

McCaffrey is a good player and fills a lot of holes  ie (kick return, slot,  running back).  Watching the Superbowl (obligatory 3-28) there is really no answer for a versatile back coming out of the backfield unless you stat exclusively in zone.  Even then there are still coverage issues.  

All in all , who knows.  Fournette my drop, hell there might be a QB run in the first 10 and both the safeties and running backs are all available.  I am totally against trading up, it rarely works out in the end. 

It all just depends on what our offense is going to look like next year and whether Shula is willing to adapt the playbook to either Fournette or McCaffrey's strengths.

Since I don't believe in trading up for anyone, I'll say McCaffrey fit's our current offense better since he can run from the shotgun, make people miss much better than Fournette. I'd say they are both fast so Fournette's only atvantage is the power run game and you have to believe he wont be able to truck people repeatedly in the NFL like he did in college. McCaffrey is also better at running routes, catching, and returning punts/kicks.

There really isn't that much of an argument for Fournette unless Shula is willing to make a radical change to the system and run a lot of under center , I formation with full backs and TEs blocking with regularity for Fournette.

17 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

For what it's worth, in our last 10 first round selections, we've had five on offense and five on defense.

28 minutes ago, juliosantos said:

ok heres the scenario fournettes not going to be there at # 8 so we would have to jump to # 2  to get them and lets just say it costs us this years first and 4th and next years first . or we can keep the first and get mccaffrey at # 8 . How big is the drop off between him and fournette? both stars both dominated college football , fournette is a better fit but mccaffrey is most likely better than him when it comes to shotgun and we run most of our offense out of the gun. What scenario would you take? For a #8 pick we need a player thats going to change this team right away thats why id take both these guys over pass rushers that wont even be the starter this season unless its thomas or garrett . it all comes down to this is it worth losing picks for fournette when we can get mccaffrey? 

It is likely to cost you more than this year's 4th round and next year's 1st round to move up those 6 spots.

Players I Feel confident are gone in the top 8 would be.

Garret, Thomas, Allen and Hooker. If you throw Fournette in there too ( I still think it's possible he makes it to 8. I'd say about   A 45% chance).

That leaves you a choice of Adams, Lattimore, Corey Davis. 

Id take any of those 3 over McCaffery. I'm unsure of Barnett but if the front office took him ahead of McCafrey I'd be happy with that too. If we insisted on finding a running back we can do that with one of our 2nds and still get a nice compliment to Stewart and potential long term replacement. 

Personally I'd lean Corey Davis as I think he's the closet thing to a lock as a long term starter at WR in this draft that would compliment Benjamin and Funchess. I also think for 17 WR is our biggest need by a long shot. 

Ross is not far but I don't want to gamble he falls to round 2. The drop off after them is pretty huge as you're going more on potential than anything and those guys may take more time to see the field as often as Davis or Ross could. 

15 minutes ago, PantherProfessor said:

If Fournette is the guy they covet, and he's gone at 8 then they need to make a move.  I would be ok with McCaffery, but would prefer to trade down 4-6 spots and get another 2nd rounder or even a 3rd.  I think he is still there at 12-14, which still may be a reach, but probably safe if he's the next guy they like.

The versatility and big play ability of McCaffery would be worth the pick, we need an injection of explosiveness to this offense.

A third is not enough compensation. Gaining an additional second is the only way I'd do it. And if the second is too far back, then I'd demand a second and a third.

Archived