• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"McCaffery at 8 would be a reach and waste of a pick."

Rags

McCafffrey has 7-10 blockers more than I've seen for any other running back. And before somebody wants to be smartass and tell me 10 blockers is impossible, it's called the wildcat. I included a few pics to prove it. It happens every game but I'm not taking the time to post pics from every game.

Pays off huge when the blockers keep him  untouched. A huge chunk of his yards and TD's come with a minimum of 8 dedicated blockers. 

If Stanford falls behind in a game, McCaffrey becomes useless as a runner. However he does not show any value as a WR. See his game vs Washington in 16 for a prime example.

@Saca312 @LinvilleGorge @WOW!! @Gin and Juice

IMG_5258.thumb.JPG.70de04c90f55b50066bd7645882ef805.JPGIMG_5246.thumb.JPG.7238fb756f98d7853ec8403cd29c97d6.JPGIMG_5247.thumb.JPG.8e17d574d4908c0ba89f70456477ebd8.JPGIMG_5255.thumb.JPG.bb07ced77ebe5ae877ebaaf5ea0b1118.JPGIMG_5256.thumb.JPG.f64d340485a17fa192a3356bc45cb16c.JPGIMG_5257.thumb.JPG.aa8a373d0908036de3484efe69eeb2c0.JPGIMG_5259.thumb.JPG.34f1f3bf4985be847222e2577fb9dc2a.JPGIMG_5260.thumb.JPG.1b36e745761722089c7fc804795a0c7f.JPG

IMG_5248.JPG

On 4/13/2017 at 2:55 PM, Rags said:

Also big shout outs to Goodell for scheduling the NFL Draft on my Girlfriends birthday and she has no interest in sports 

fug you pal.

I'm sure she's lovely, but this is a sign that it wasn't meant to be. 

10 minutes ago, panther4life said:

McCafffrey has 7-10 blockers more than I've seen for any other running back. And before somebody wants to be smartass and tell me 10 blockers is impossible, it's called the wildcat. I included a few pics to prove it. It happens every game but I'm not taking the time to post pics from every game.

Pays off huge when the blockers keep him  untouched. A huge chunk of his yards and TD's come with a minimum of 8 dedicated blockers. 

If Stanford falls behind in a game, McCaffrey becomes useless as a runner. However he does not show any value as a WR. See his game vs Washington in 16 for a prime example.

@Saca312 @LinvilleGorge @WOW!! @Gin and Juice

IMG_5258.thumb.JPG.70de04c90f55b50066bd7645882ef805.JPGIMG_5246.thumb.JPG.7238fb756f98d7853ec8403cd29c97d6.JPGIMG_5247.thumb.JPG.8e17d574d4908c0ba89f70456477ebd8.JPGIMG_5255.thumb.JPG.bb07ced77ebe5ae877ebaaf5ea0b1118.JPGIMG_5256.thumb.JPG.f64d340485a17fa192a3356bc45cb16c.JPGIMG_5257.thumb.JPG.aa8a373d0908036de3484efe69eeb2c0.JPGIMG_5259.thumb.JPG.34f1f3bf4985be847222e2577fb9dc2a.JPGIMG_5260.thumb.JPG.1b36e745761722089c7fc804795a0c7f.JPG

IMG_5248.JPG

Yeah, but you can look at this the other way too. Look at all those stacked boxes he's facing. All those images you posted show 10 and 11 man boxes. That's crazy.

Just now, panther4life said:

Lol. Are you being serious or funny? With 0-1 WR's do you expect them not to stack the box?

I'm being serious. Of course they're going to stack the box, but that's what happens when you run tight formations. I'm just saying that you were acting like he had this huge advantage with the blocking but in reality the opposing defenses were countering that. They were playing run all the way. That's not necessarily an advantage for the RB. Theres a reason why Stew averaged less than 4ypc last season and it wasn't all due to OL injuries either. When you essentially tell the D what you're gonna do before the snap, expect heavy resistance.

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm being serious. Of course they're going to stack the box, but that's what happens when you run tight formations. I'm just saying that you were acting like he had this huge advantage with the blocking but in reality the opposing defenses were countering that. They were playing run all the way. That's not necessarily an advantage for the RB. Theres a reason why Stew averaged less than 4ypc last season and it wasn't all due to OL injuries either. When you essentially tell the D what you're gonna do before the snap, expect heavy resistance.

How often do we run the wildcat or only 1 WR sets with everyone else dedicated to blocking? 

Half of McCaffrey's long runs or one's he breaks for a TD he is untouched. Watch him run out of Shotgun. No stacked boxes there but he ends up tackled behind the LOS quite often.

I'm not saying you're right or im wrong. Just like debating these matters with other fans I respect. 

1 minute ago, panther4life said:

How often do we run the wildcat or only 1 WR sets with everyone else dedicated to blocking? 

Half of McCaffrey's long runs or one's he breaks for a TD he is untouched. Watch him run of of Shotgun. No stacked boxes there but he ends up tackled behind the LOS quite often.

All of Cam's called runs are essentially wildcat plays. Also, it's worth noting that unless it's a draw everyone else is dedicated to blocking on that play whether they're a WR or not.

RBs being untouched on long runs isn't exactly uncommon. If he's breaking tackles on half of his long runs, that's impressive.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

All of Cam's called runs are essentially wildcat plays. Also, it's worth noting that unless it's a draw everyone else is dedicated to blocking on that play whether they're a WR or not.

RBs being untouched on long runs isn't exactly uncommon. If he's breaking tackles on half of his long runs, that's impressive.

I meant blockers that weren't lined up out wide.

I can't say he's really breaking tackles on long runs. Just used a conservative number to play it safe. I've watched about 5-6 full games now and just don't see him being a top 10 pick for us or anyone else.

Either way I guess we've beat this topic to death and can't come away on the same page. All good. I'll catch you in another thread.

It's a catch 22. If you're running tight formations, you're going to see stacked boxes but likely have heavier, better blockers in the game - albeit against heavier, better run defenders. If you're running spread formations, you're likely going to face a more spread out defense but you're going to have lighter, poorer blockers in the game - albeit against lighter, poorer run defenders.

It really comes down to philosophy as to which is more advantageous to the offense.

We don't have the luxury of picking him at 8, we have other dire needs, plus I'd give fournette the edge for how our offense is set. Some of you have this set view that he's going to step in and immediately be in the conversation of rb's like bell and Johnson. That's a stretch imo. Trading back is our best scenario when grabbing mccaffery point blank

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

I will say this, I like McCaffery. I think he is gonna do well in this league if he gets in the right offensive system, for example, the Patriots. Do I like him @ number 8 for us? Not really. Not because I don't like him, but because our OC is too "square peg in round hole". He isn't small despite what everyone wants to think. He will be a playmaker in this league, just not an exciting playmaker. He will just quietly get it done. Similar to Lewis, White, Woodhead, etc.

Problem with this draft is that there isn't much "obvious" top tier talent! There may be guys that become consistent All-Pro's however, they aren't easily recognizable. One that is easy to recognize is Fournette. He is my first choice at RB and it wouldn't hurt my feelings to jump up and grab him.

Garrett has the potential but still has that lurking Bust factor of the NFL maybe being too "big" for him. I really think SolomonThomas is the better pick in terms of DE. Smarter and more grounded. I like Barnett and I think he will transition quickly into the NFL. I see a lot of similarities between him and Whitney Mercilus and I think that's the type of player you get with Barnett. 

I think Adams and Hooker will be above avg at best. 

We need a playmaker at number 8 and I'm not seeing one there unless we trade up for Fournette. I think there are other guys in the draft that will be better pro's than what's currently mocked in the top 15 and if Gettleman feels the same then get ready for the "Damn Gettleman reached" threads

Archived