• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"McCaffery at 8 would be a reach and waste of a pick."

Rags

I've seen this line of thought from quite a few Huddlers. And as someone who felt the same way until very recently, I get it. But I realized how wrong that was and how he would evolve our offense. Let me try to reason with you.

McCaffery is talented. And as far as HBs go I'd say he's as solid as any HB you could take in the past few drafts. He's fast, elusive and has some strength. Not only is he a threat out of the backfield as a receiving talent, which that alone makes him insanely valuable, he's a very good slot WR. In the same vein Howard would boost our offense and give us another face, McCaffery can do that too. To add on, the addition of a lethal screen game (Should Shula remember that's a play) would take a lot off our O-line and tackles which have a lot of question marks right now.

The best part about this is, at least for the coming season, we'll have JStew with MxCaffery if he's the pick. Cam, Stew and McCaffery in the pistol would give offenses headaches. Pitches, screens, misdirections. Not to mention Cam could easily audible for a must match and kick McCaffery out to the slot. The possibilities are amazing. 

Finally, let's look at SB51. Look at what killed the Falcons. James White, the receiving HB, Killed the Falcons all day. This Thus as a weakness which is now known about the Falcons, and while they are likely to address and help the team to try to fix that, this is something that a team that has to play then twice a year has to have noticed. Also dont forget the Falcons lost a 25 point lead.

All this coupled with he's an amazingly talented runner, the case is very strong for him at 8. And if things shake up a certain way two weeks from now, dont be surprised if McCaffery is the newest Carolina Panther.

I'll always go to this argument for him: name me another prospect like McCaffrey that plays RB, return man, and slot receiver at an elite level like he does?

We could get what Fournette does for this offense in Perine or Conner later in the draft. McCaffrey is a unique case.

12 minutes ago, Rags said:

I've seen this line of thought from quite a few Huddlers. And as someone who felt the same way until very recently, I get it. But I realized how wrong that was and how he would evolve our offense. Let me try to reason with you.

McCaffery is talented. And as far as HBs go I'd say he's as solid as any HB you could take in the past few drafts. He's fast, elusive and has some strength. Not only is he a threat out of the backfield as a receiving talent, which that alone makes him insanely valuable, he's a very good slot WR. In the same vein Howard would boost our offense and give us another face, McCaffery can do that too. To add on, the addition of a lethal screen game (Should Shula remember that's a play) would take a lot off our O-line and tackles which have a lot of question marks right now.

The best part about this is, at least for the coming season, we'll have JStew with MxCaffery if he's the pick. Cam, Stew and McCaffery in the pistol would give offenses headaches. Pitches, screens, misdirections. Not to mention Cam could easily audible for a must match and kick McCaffery out to the slot. The possibilities are amazing. 

Finally, let's look at SB51. Look at what killed the Falcons. James White, the receiving HB, Killed the Falcons all day. This Thus as a weakness which is now known about the Falcons, and while they are likely to address and help the team to try to fix that, this is something that a team that has to play then twice a year has to have noticed. Also dont forget the Falcons lost a 25 point lead.

All this coupled with he's an amazingly talented runner, the case is very strong for him at 8. And if things shake up a certain way two weeks from now, dont be surprised if McCaffery is the newest Carolina Panther.

The underlined portion of this particular paragraph is the reason why this pick would suck.  

If I wanted to sum up why it would suck, Shula would not utilize said pick properly because it's Shula.  Thank you for your time.  

12 minutes ago, Rags said:

Also big shout outs to Goodell for scheduling the NFL Draft on my Girlfriends birthday and she has no interest in sports 

fug you pal.

My wife scheduled our wedding on the day of the draft in 2009.  2 years ago, she went into labor on the day of the draft. I swear she is secretly planning this poo. 

7 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

Do you have any evidence to back this up?  Has Shula had such a player here before? Or are you just hating?

I mean, with Shula's track record, I don't have to.  Cam's had one really great season under Shula, and after that season he regressed inexplicably, and he still hasn't fixed Cam's issues throwing.  Plus, he never utilizes dump down passes which are McCaffrey's bread and butter.  

Shula has failed pretty much every place he's been including Alabama.  Do you know how hard it is to fail at Alabama?  It's inexplicably difficult to fail at Alabama.  And he did that.  

It's not hating when there's actual facts to back up my thoughts.  Shula would find a way to f uck this up, as he's done before.  Cam should be a top 5 QB in the NFL right now, and mostly because of Shula in everyone's opinion he isn't.  Simple as that.  

what team uses a #8 pick on james white? i get you're arguing he would be a better version, but even a danny woodhead, shane vereen, ryan matthews, sproles type back?

i don't disagree with the progression of starting to like the idea of having him more in our offense, and i've had the same transition, but i still don't think his value is 8th overall.  he is one of those players that has climbed perception since he's been off of a college field from like round 2-4 to top 10.  and he hasn't done anything on a field really to warrant that...so it's strange for me to now look at him differently.

i just don't think there's anyway we take mccaffrey with either thomas, LF, or adams still on the board. if none of the aforementioned players are there, and we traded down and got him, that'd be another thing.

9 minutes ago, nctarheel0619 said:

I mean, with Shula's track record, I don't have to.  Cam's had one really great season under Shula, and after that season he regressed inexplicably, and he still hasn't fixed Cam's issues throwing.  Plus, he never utilizes dump down passes which are McCaffrey's bread and butter.  

Shula has failed pretty much every place he's been including Alabama.  Do you know how hard it is to fail at Alabama?  It's inexplicably difficult to fail at Alabama.  And he did that.  

It's not hating when there's actual facts to back up my thoughts.  Shula would find a way to f uck this up, as he's done before.  Cam should be a top 5 QB in the NFL right now, and mostly because of Shula in everyone's opinion he isn't.  Simple as that.  

So basically your answer is NO you don't....with just a lot of bullshit and diarrhea of the mouth added that says nothing more.  Gotcha.

Archived