• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tre Boston Has Been Waived

23 minutes ago, EightyNine said:

What makes Boston good depth?  When given the opportunity to play, we had to sign Michael Griffin fresh off the couch to immediately play and take snaps away from Tre.  In the NFL, more games are lost than won.

Truth to this.  I'm not really arguing for Tre.  Maybe I'm just nervous about Mike Adams age...  I know he's been healthy and durable.  But we had enough position disasters last year that I'd been wanting some experienced backup at safety as insurance.

But yeah, better a more-talented guy with little experience than a bad veteran, I guess.

A sober and realistic look at Gettleman's draft record is pretty dismal

Vernon Butler - Didn't show much as a rookie beyond special teams;  with KK resigned, unlikely to be a starter;  not worth a 1st rounder

Bradberry - Great pick

Worley - Struggled as a rookie, but jury is still out

Sanchez - Was cut from the team before resigned due to injuries;  unlikely to make the 53

Sandland - Cut

Thompson -  Overdrafted in the 1st round, will continue to get snaps until TD retires, at which point he will be a free agent

Funchess - Complete bust, will likely be cut next year or traded for scraps like Ealy

D. Williams - Moton was likely drafted to replace him, so not much confidence in him;  grades poorly

Mayo - Just a depth guy

Payne - Unlikely to make the 53, will likely be cut

Benjamin - Time was hesitant to even pick up his 5th year option;  lacks the worth ethic to excel in this league;  missed out on Landry and Robinson to draft him

Ealy - Traded for a mere 8 positions in the draft;  huge bust

Turner - great pick

Boston - cut

Bene - cut

Gaffney - cut

Just now, 15 said:

gonna just ignore the Star/KK draft to get your shitty point across?

Star Lotulelei grades as a barely above average tackle, which did not warrant being selected 13th in the draft;  has never made the pro bowl.  He's by no means a bust, but if I have the 13th pick in that draft, I don't take him that early

Here are some pro bowl players drafted directly AFTER Star in the 1st round

Eric Reid, Kyle Long, Tyler Eifert, Desmond Trufant, Xavier Rhodes, Deandre Hopkins, Travis Frederick, etc

Not to mention Kubbila and Barner;  people will say that all GMs miss on their late round picks, but this was precisely the criticism leveled at Hurney.  At least Hurney hit on his 1st round picks, unlike Dave, who misses on both early and late picks.

1 minute ago, 15 said:

go ahead and post a draft where a GM nailed every single pick with pro bowl players, I'll wait. 

I'm not expecting him to nail every single pick;  as the record I pointed out shows, he busts on 80% of his picks, both early and late.

I also know that Hurney drafted dozens of elite pro bowl bowlers, and Gettleman has very little to show for himself in his five years here besides KK and Trai.  It will look even worse when McC gets 5-10 snaps a game as a gadget player.

If you look at the core of the Panthers team

Cam Newton, Stewart, Olsen, Kalil, Kuechly, Thomas Davis, etc - all Hurney guys.  Take away those players from the team, and do we win 3 games next year?

5 years in, when is Gettleman going to start building his own foundation and not relying on guys drafted by a GM that was here a decade ago?  Difficult to do considering how often he busts on draft picks.

I'm just amazed that someone still believes that the Pro-Bowl has any sort of relevant meaning to a player's worth. Even if this is just a troll job, it's still a terrible viewpoint, and I'd give their effort a 1/10.

Archived