• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Insider Thoughts On Panthers Picks Christian McCaffrey And Daeshon Hall

3 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

Noice.

Now time for a Proudiddy Bold Prediction: Hall will have a better pro career than Myles Garrett.

I think Garrett will not be able to impact the game like people are hyping him up to be. So I'm that regard, yes Hall will have a better career because he doesn't have the expectations that Garrett does. 

3 hours ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

And yet another clue that Gettleman bought into Christian McCaffrey due to Lance Taylor. I'm telling y'all if Shula fails, Taylor will be our new OC. Some may view it as a conspiracy theory but why the fug would anyone make a lateral move like this AFTER making a similar lateral move a few years back? Opportunity. 

College to pro isn't a lateral move. The previous wasn't lateral either as he went from assistant wr coach to rbs coach.

But I guess it's not that far fetched a possibility. It does happen

And yet another clue that Gettleman bought into Christian McCaffrey due to Lance Taylor. I'm telling y'all if Shula fails, Taylor will be our new OC. Some may view it as a conspiracy theory but why the fug would anyone make a lateral move like this AFTER making a similar lateral move a few years back? Opportunity. 

Going from an assistant wide receiver coach in the NFL to a position coach in college is an advancement not lateral move.

Going from a running back coach at Stanford to the wide receiver coach for the Superbowl contending Panthers is hardly a lateral move. It is called gaining more experience at a different level. And believing a guy with no experience as even a position coach in the NFL and never having called a game in his life is suddenly going to move into the offensive coordinator spot in one year is ridiculous. Take your choice, conspiracy theory or stupidity. Both would explain this ridiculous notion. QB coaches usually get the first nod given they have experience relaying in plays on every down. Wide receiver coaches often aren't looked at because they aren't involved in playcalling which is the primary job of an OC. If Shula fails handing the reins to a guy with no experience calling plays as a player or coach would only insure Gettleman and Rivera would be right behind Shula when Taylor fails as well.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

11 hours ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

True but keep in mind, he had gone from being an intern to an assistant WRs and assistant TEs coach to a RBs coach in such a short time. Now he's with us as a WRs coach after spending four years at Stanford. 

Shula's job is on the line this season. I honestly don't think we brought in Taylor as a coincidence anymore. We're grooming him in my opinion.

I disagree that we brought in Taylor as some kind of outside opportunity to potentially replace Shula, for three reasons:

1. Too young

2. Too inexperienced at the NFL level

3. Many of us (me included) may not show a lot of respect for Shula, but Taylor does since Shula was "his" HC/OC when he was a player at Bama in 2003.  And that's the actual reason Taylor was brought in: his automatic buy-in for Shula and his system. 

21 hours ago, CatMan72 said:

The problem with limit CMC is the automatic mismatches he creates, do you cover him with a LB or a safety or a CB? Whatever you choose is "wrong" because you either accept that mismatch or create another one.  

absolutely...match ups is what its all about...

CMC catching swing passes out of the backfield is going to be a rather HUGE change for us.  If the LBs or Ss cheat over to cover him, it opens the other side, making more space for Olsen or whoever to work.  Or if Samuel runs a vertical type route (y'all football smart folks know the names, post, deep slant, whatever) on the same side that CMC is running his route, he get's a bigger window to catch and run.

And if they don't roll coverage, it should be good for 3-4 yards, a basic running play.  I'll take those too, and he'll probably break a few of those catches as well.  It doesn't take a radical rethink of our offense to do that.

Now imagine taking an entire off season to "evolve" the offense.  Shula wouldn't be where he is, or have had some of the success he's had in the past, if he wasn't at least reasonably intelligent.  

7 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Going from a running back coach at Stanford to the wide receiver coach for the Superbowl contending Panthers is hardly a lateral move. It is called gaining more experience at a different level. And believing a guy with no experience as even a position coach in the NFL and never having called a game in his life is suddenly going to move into the offensive coordinator spot in one year is ridiculous. Take your choice, conspiracy theory or stupidity. Both would explain this ridiculous notion. QB coaches usually get the first nod given they have experience relaying in plays on every down. Wide receiver coaches often aren't looked at because they aren't involved in playcalling which is the primary job of an OC. If Shula fails handing the reins to a guy with no experience calling plays as a player or coach would only insure Gettleman and Rivera would be right behind Shula when Taylor fails as well.

Excellent holes to put in the romanticized conspiracy theory that Taylor is going to be the next OC.  Unless he's a wunderkid or something.  He'd need a few more years around the NFL game and our team before he could really do that.  A major part of being and OC is actually calling the game.  I'd want him to watch a few more games (like 100!) before he was given such an immense responsibility.  I flip flop here =)

Archived