• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer Believes The Panthers Would Have Selected McCaffrey Over Fournette

25 minutes ago, C47 said:

I guess it's possible a friend with an iphone that had a spare Panthers mic with him. Meh, like I said.... we got the better guy for the Offense either way. 

I could not remember what the interview looked like but that doesn't seem put together by a professional media team and seems to be the day after.

Regardless I agree. I think he was the top offensive target for us.

55 minutes ago, PantherCam213 said:

I love the CMC pick.  I think this is the best draft of Gettleman's career.  To play Devil's Advocate though, why are you so sure they didn't send a media team to OJ Howard's draft party?  No way for us to know really.

They didn't 

3 hours ago, C47 said:

Pretty sure they didn't send people from the media team to Alabama for OJ Howard's draft party...

I get it, you had a hard on for Fournette. It's whatever man.

Yep you know it, the panthers only have one media team and can stich one jersey at a time

Whatever helps you sleep at night

LOL

1 minute ago, GoobyPls said:

Yep you know it, the panthers only have one media team and can stich one jersey at a time

Whatever helps you sleep at night

LOL

I'm sleeping fine tbh. We got the offensive weapon I've wanted on this team since last September. What about the Panthers draft would be keeping me up at night? 

2 hours ago, csx said:

Not to feed the Troll but that Jersey was an Olsen jersey 

If you're talking about the post-draft interview video, it was jersey #8.  Just looking at it, it appears like a single 8 is centered on the shoulders.  And at 21 seconds of the video, McCaffrey turns and dips his left shoulder very slightly, but enough to see that there is only one 8 on the shoulder.  Definitely not Olsen's jersey.

Don't ask me why I bothered to go back and look...I guess you got me curious.  Not that it makes any difference.  At this point, all parties are happy, and that's all that matters.

2 hours ago, Woodie said:

If you're talking about the post-draft interview video, it was jersey #8.  Just looking at it, it appears like a single 8 is centered on the shoulders.  And at 21 seconds of the video, McCaffrey turns and dips his left shoulder very slightly, but enough to see that there is only one 8 on the shoulder.  Definitely not Olsen's jersey.

Don't ask me why I bothered to go back and look...I guess you got me curious.  Not that it makes any difference.  At this point, all parties are happy, and that's all that matters.

Andy F'n Lee!

22 hours ago, csx said:

Ahh

Did they make that Mic out of craft paper and paste?

I actually know the people that make panthers mic flags, a small company in SC that actually work out of their garage. I know because I used them for my podcast. 

Again, the repeated theme this year was to evolve.

stewart is far from being done and may very well have some of his best football yet. He also is a great role player-- does what is asked and doesn't make waves.

Fournette would only have given us a younger version of what Stewart is, not changed the face of our offense.

Christian complements Stewart rather than replaces him, and gives us that Marshall Faulk type of guy that can be on the field with Stewart any play. 

Fournette would not have done this. 

I liked Leonard, but I can see that Christian was our guy. Make no doubts Dave has jumped up for guys he wants repeatedly so I believe if Fournette had been the guy, Dave would have traded up.

anyway Christian is our Panther so let's all face the music and recite that 8 year Panther theme,..

it is what it is,... hahahaha.

One thing I think you have to consider worth noting here is that, as has been pointed out, regardless of who they had higher in their sights the Panthers made no effort to trade up for Fournette - or anyone else for that matter - and don't seem to have received any offers from teams above them looking to trade down (all per Max Henson's account of the team's war room).

It can also be stated (again, per Henson) that the Panthers ignored an offer from a team looking to trade up to the number eight spot. "Ignored" might not even be the right word as team officials apparently never even heard the offer. Dave Gettleman simply instructed the person who took the call to say "no trade" and hang up. Can you ignore something you didn't even hear? I suppose that's a 'tree falls in the forest' question if you want to pursue it any further (I won't).

So did the team believe Fournette was a once in a generation player? Unknown, but the lack of effort to trade up for him - coming from a team well known for wheeling and dealing to get players they want - makes me think they didn't. And yes, they could have had him higher on their board without believing that. This question could be a debate on its own, but hardly worth it in my opinion given the circumstances.

What is neither debatable not deniable is that the team believed McCaffrey was worth the number eight pick. Their lack of any hesitation to get the ball rolling makes that especially clear (as if it weren't already). Less than a minute into their time on the board, the Panthers were on the phone to McCaffrey welcoming him to the team. And by all accounts, doing so gleefully.

So the question of who the Panthers would have taken is, at this juncture, a moot point.

The question of who they should have taken is one that I suspect will be debated hotly and frequently on this board in seasons to come. Perhaps even sooner, regardless of whether we possess any actual performance measurements to go by in the debate itself.

Hey, that's how we do things here...right?

Archived