• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Defense Making a Seamless Transition from McCermott to Wilks

We are very fortunate to have Wilks.  So many times a new DC comes in and changes everything.  We have been going pretty much with the same defense since Ron got here.  I was happy when Wilks left SD to come here.   I just hope the tree is getting bigger.  I don't expect Wilks to be here but a year or two.  That is if he does as we expect he will.  When he does leave. Who'll be next?

30 minutes ago, LordOfDaWingz said:

I was never a fan of McDermott. Felt like his defenses gave up a lot, especially towards the end of games. 

That's the nature of the Zone beast though.

I always liked McD. Smart guy, learned under the best in Jim Johnson, then learned some more under one of the best Defensive minds in the league in Rivera, he's had the head coaching lined up for a long time coming. I am happy we have Wilks too, because he was Riveras original choice to be DC and seems smart and capable enough to lead the whole squad moving forward. 

But With Rivera at the helm I really don't think Our D will ever be horrendous, at least it never should. We can all say what we want about Rivera but the dude is a stud at defense. 

9 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

That's the nature of the Zone beast though.

I always liked McD. Smart guy, learned under the best in Jim Johnson, then learned some more under one of the best Defensive minds in the league in Rivera, he's had the head coaching lined up for a long time coming. I am happy we have Wilks too, because he was Riveras original choice to be DC and seems smart and capable enough to lead the whole squad moving forward. 

But With Rivera at the helm I really don't think Our D will ever be horrendous, at least it never should. We can all say what we want about Rivera but the dude is a stud at defense. 

I do believe Wilks will be a tad more aggressive and creative though. We will probably be lucky to hang on to him past this season.

11 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

I do believe Wilks will be a tad more aggressive and creative though. We will probably be lucky to hang on to him past this season.

What makes you believe that?

12 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

If that happens then I Eric Washington, come on down

Yeah, he's one of the best D-line coaches in the league. We're lucky to have these guys. I feel the same way about our O-line coach too. One thing RR said the other day stuck in my head. He was asked what Matt Kalil was improving on and RR said that he was getting better already at his footwork and hand placement. My first question was, why in the hell wasn't his old coach working on that with him? My second thought was that we're lucky to have coach Matsko (sp?)

Base scheme isn't changing which I think is a good thing.  However, multiple players have mentioned in interviews that Wilks will probably be a little more aggressive with his play calling compared to McD.  I know Jeremy Cash was one in particular that insinuated this during one of Igo's podcasts.

With the personnel we have, there's no reason not to straight dominate.. Peppers >Ealy, Shaq's 3rd, sophomore CBs & different Ss, we've gotten better on each level of the D.. I am so lookin forward to this team even coming close to their potential... 

Archived