• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Knee Surgery

Jackofalltrades

Yesterday morning I had both of my knees completely replaced. The pain hasn't been too bad, with the worst coming during physical therapy. The plan right now is to discharge me Thursday and go directly to an acute, inpatient rehab facility located right behind the hospital. 

I hope to be back to "normal" by my 40th birthday on July 28. I've done well in PT so far and actually walked out into the hallway with a walker, turned around and then came back. 

After three major back surgeries this doesn't seem all that bad, it's also my 10th overall surgery. If you all have any tips or ideas please throw them my way. I also welcome any prayers and/or good vibes. 

TIA

My mother-in-law had each of her knees done a year apart. She was 70 and her doctor discouraged her from having both done simultaneously. Regardless, she was home in 3 days and had home rehab and PT for a few weeks. Before they discharged her, she had to show them she could walk on her own for at least 50 feet or some random distance. 

Me? I had one of my knees scoped when arthroscopic surgery was still in its infancy using fiber-optics in the 70's. I really can't complain at all. 

But, dude, I feel bad for ya- 10 surgeries? I'm 61 and have never spent a single night in a hospital. Had my gall bladder removed- in at 6AM home by noon. Does that even count? 

8 hours ago, imminent rogaine said:

Fittingly, the ad on this page is for opioid dependence.  Make sure you use laxatives with any opioids so you don't blow out your ring.

Thanks, I'm trying to drink as much water as possible and I'm keeping up with my probiotics. They give a stool softener as a part of the daily regimen. 

I've done very well with PT so I may be discharged and sent to the acute rehab center tomorrow. Today was extremely painful but they took out my IV, the nerve blocks and all I have is the pulse-ox so it was nice to put more comfortable clothes on. 

1 hour ago, ladypanther said:

Wow JOAT...both at the same time?  Hope all goes well and hope for a speedy recovery for you.

They don't normally suggest both at once but both my knees were so bad he couldn't decide which was worse. I don't have the luxury of taking time off during the school year so I would have to wait until June '18 to do the other. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2017 at 8:43 PM, ladypanther said:

How are you doing?

Doing well, have great range of motion with minimal pain and swelling in the right, left is lagging behind with less range of motion and more swelling but everyone says that's normal. I head to out patient rehab tomorrow and I'm excited about that. They'll kick my ass but I'm up for it. Despite the post op pain there's no grinding any more which is awesome. I'm excited for what lays ahead and that's why I'm dying to give rehab all I have. 

I appreciate you asking!

Archived