• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shoe advice

Jackofalltrades

I'm nearly a month removed from my bilateral knee replacement surgery and recovery is going pretty well.  Now I'm moving my focus out a little further. I've been "knocked kneed" until the surgery. Apart from a lot of pain in the IT band it has put a lot of additional stress on my feet as I now walk differently. Shoes I own that are worn now hurt and will be discarded and replaced. 

My job allows me to wear running shoes and I need replace the ones I have. I'd like to get something that offers more support. I typically wear shoes from the back to school special rack. 95% of shoes have been Nike, I recently had so Asics I liked and NB (trail running style) that I dislike. 

Several people have recommended Brooks brand or Merril, just wanted to see if anyone here had any input on shoes themselves and the best place to go for knowledgeable staff where a gate assessment would be available. 

Thanks in advance for any input. 

The simplicity of a pair of Chucks is hard to beat. They are flat-soled which might help.

Also, while I think Merrils are great, you need to check where the shoe was made. Some (maybe most) of their line is being made in China and there is a quality difference there -- look for American made ones.

Check out REI for top quality footwear. They work with the high end camping crowd and the quality of their shoes, boots and running shoes is top notch.

Go to a legit running store and they'll have someone who can see how you walk/run and then make suggestions based on your stride, pronation/supination, heel/ball/mid strike, etc.  I supinate so I've been using Brooks and Mizuno lately, but much prefer the Brooks but they don't last as long.

I wear Merrell Jungle Moc Nubucks and have for over a decade and they've been the best, most comfortable and versatile casual shoes I've ever worn. I can do anything in them pretty much, can even run in them and do light sport activity in them with no problem. No idea whether they're made in China or the US but the quality has always been great on the pairs I've had. Don't know whether they'll work for you, I've never had any foot or knee problems or anything like that, but I'd definitely recommend you take a look at them. Or other Merrells too.

NB...highest number you can get.  Merrell. also good. Both have wider toe base and good support.  I know a physical therapist who recommends NB. I am on my feet a lot at work...put a lot of miles on shoes.  Had a prob in the past with plantar fasciitis. Both of those brands work for me.

I've had several toes broken/crushed; plantar fasciitis within the past year and I have a couple bone spurs in my right heel. My Navy career was not kind to my feet. And, to top it off, I wear a 14EEE, severely limiting my selection. 

Anyway, I'm a big NB fan with a few pair and also have a pair of Asics for kickin' around. I wear Timberland Pros at work and have a couple pair of Rockports for casual wear. You might also check out Dunham- they are NB-owned and offer a line of casuals and work shoes which are pretty lightweight and comfortable. 

20 hours ago, Scrumtrilescent said:

Go to a legit running store and they'll have someone who can see how you walk/run and then make suggestions based on your stride, pronation/supination, heel/ball/mid strike, etc.  I supinate so I've been using Brooks and Mizuno lately, but much prefer the Brooks but they don't last as long.

As someone who has feet that are, well lets just call them "a bit difficult", I highly recommend Scrum's suggestion. There are plenty of places that probably do this well but I went to "Run for Your Life" off Mallard Creek a few years ago which would just be a short drive down 85 for you JOAT and they helped me a lot. In your situation, I wouldn't buy shoes without doing that first. 

http://runforyourlife.com/

You're just not going to get a quality shoe from Rack Room, Shoe Dept, etc. and if you are on your feet a lot, you need good shoes especially with your knee troubles. I don't normally recommend this because I try to support shopping local whenever I can but if cost is an issue, find the shoe that is recommended and do some online research and find last year's model for a significantly cheaper price. Like I said, I don't like that idea because if they are gong to take the time to diagnose what shoe works for you, I think they should be compensated so buy from the store that helps you if possible but it is an option to save money. 

I have found Brooks and some of the higher end ASIC Gel Nimbus models work best for me. ASICs can be hit or miss but I found a style that works for me and they provide great support and are more durable than Brooks. Big difference between a $69.99 ASIC at a mall shoe store and a $160 pair at a quality running shoe store. 

I hate New Balance but that is just a personal preference based mostly off looks/style. I don't bother looking at Nike's because they tend to run narrow and I've never found a pair that were comfortable in any way

Good luck..... spend a few extra dollars and go for quality. Being pain free and comfortable all starts with your feet so put some good tires on them! It's worth the investment in the long run. 

You're from NC if I recall correctly so go to Omega Sports, 4 runners only, or any other running speciality store. Have them watch your gait and see how your feet land. People either land neutrally, pronate or supinate. Based on how your foot falls there are different styles of shoe to support that area that hits the ground first. 

Every brand has shoes that will accomodate your foot, from there it's just finding the one you find most comfortable. Personally I felt like Asics were very cushiony (did not like running in them), Nike and Adidas were just ok, Mizuonos were pretty good (my second favorite), but Brooks just felt the most natural on my feet. Again this is strictly preference and it's going to probably take wearing a couple different ones to see how you like them. 

Now here's the protip: when you go the store they are going to try to sell you the most recent most recent model. For example every year Brooks comes out with a new version of my shoe titled Glycerin.  So they are probably on like Glycerin 20 by now or some poo. Omega usually has the last year's model Glycerin 19 in store and for cheaper, and if they don't the internet does. You can get a great pair of running shoes that are absolutely no different than the ones you have for around like 50 bucks if you shop smart. My point is do not feel pressured to buy that shoe that day, even if they watched your gait.

2 hours ago, Johnny Rockets said:

I have found Brooks and some of the higher end ASIC Gel Nimbus models work best for me. ASICs can be hit or miss but I found a style that works for me and they provide great support and are more durable than Brooks. Big difference between a $69.99 ASIC at a mall shoe store and a $160 pair at a quality running shoe store. 

I hate New Balance but that is just a personal preference based mostly off looks/style. I don't bother looking at Nike's because they tend to run narrow and I've never found a pair that were comfortable in any way

Good luck..... spend a few extra dollars and go for quality. Being pain free and comfortable all starts with your feet so put some good tires on them! It's worth the investment in the long run. 

I use the Asics as a trail walker, New Balance for some daily knock-arounds. NB does have a couple models that have a more contemporary look, but I gave up on looks and style as grading criteria when a 14EEE cannot be real picky.

Johnny is right, though. Having pain-free feet makes life much better.  

4 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

I use the Asics as a trail walker, New Balance for some daily knock-arounds. NB does have a couple models that have a more contemporary look, but I gave up on looks and style as grading criteria when a 14EEE cannot be real picky.

Johnny is right, though. Having pain-free feet makes life much better.  

I bet the choices for something like that are not plentiful to say the least! NB does have one of the better selections for "problem feet" and come recommended by most foot doctors because of that. It's nothing more than an aesthetics choice for me.

I'm in flip flops 10 months out of the year other than at the office or the gym which only makes my feet issues worse. They cost me as much as a decent pair of shoes, but they are still not the best choice I can make. I just hate wearing shoes that much. 

48 minutes ago, Johnny Rockets said:

I'm in flip flops 10 months out of the year other than at the office or the gym which only makes my feet issues worse. They cost me as much as a decent pair of shoes, but they are still not the best choice I can make. I just hate wearing shoes that much. 

Imagine having grown up and lived on the beaches of Southern California since the 60's where bare feet and flip-flops are the daily attire. Now there's no way I could walk barefoot anywhere, not even the hardwood floors in my house, without at least moderate pain.

A couple years ago before we rafted the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon I bought a pair of Keen waterproof vented made especially for the water- kind of a cross between a hiker and a sandal- and I still use them on the beach occasionally with a couple other sandals I have. 

I've probably invested more in shoes in the last 10 years than my whole life before. 

Archived