• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stock Up, Stock Down (Preseason Game 1)

XClown1986

Hard to point out individual players without looking the game over again but general impressions I had:

O-line: For the most part, the multiple units gave our QB's the time to throw. I was hoping for a little more with run blocking but considering our opponent, can't complain that much. I hope this was not a one-off.

Receivers/Tight Ends: Byrd is the clear winner here. 

D-line: Didn't really get to see the first unit but I heard they did well. What I did watch was sometimes good but I had flashbacks of the season opener against Denver when we had trouble stopping the run. A possibly major injury to Butler adds more concern if our depth is tested any further.

Special Teams: Didn't see Gano missing a field goal. That and the penalty on one return in the 4th quarter were the only blemishes I remember. Otherwise, they looked competent which is actually a complement.

Final note: The interception in the two minute drive was all Webb. Too bad because the entire sequence was going well, even the timeout usage.

18 minutes ago, Fright said:

Up: Byrd, fiesty speedster would definitely help us.

Down: Colin Jones, sick of us keeping slow/bad players bc "they're good guys". Holy poo he's slow.

Jones is one of the fastest guys on the team.

He may suck, but he's not slow.

I thought Cash looked bad out there tonight. He stood out several times and not in a good way. McCray played hard. The kid isn't afraid to hit somebody. Wilks will like that about him. He may not make the roster, but I'd bet on him for the PS. Kalil was very solid. Hell, the entire first team OL looked very solid.

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I thought Cash looked bad out there tonight. He stood out several times and not in a good way. McCray played hard. The kid isn't afraid to hit somebody. Wilks will like that about him. He may not make the roster, but I'd bet on him for the PS. Kalil was very solid. Hell, the entire first team OL looked very solid.

I thought Cash did some good things, outside of the offsides penalty. He got pressure on the qb like two or three times with his blitzes, and he had four tackles and half a sack. He seemed a little anxious though (he likely would've had a second sack, but he lunged too early), and he needs to work on his feet/lateral movement so he doesn't get beat in coverage, but he did some good things. 

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I was pretty darn pleased with what we saw out of our first string on both sides of the ball. The D wasn't pretty once the starters went to the sidelines. Byrd looked very promising. Other than the errant throw that led to the INT, Webb looked really damn good.

Yeah an even that int may have been partially caused by a miscommunication rather than a bad choice/throw.

Stock Up: O-line, Benjamin, Byrd, Entire 1st team Defense, Harrison Butker

Stock Down: Gano - Not only did he miss his long fg, but the one he made was veering left as well. Meanwhile, Butker hit that 51 yarder straight as can be. It looked beautiful. I'm ready to cut Gano right now.

Just now, bull123 said:

Agreed but just not ready to go into season with a rookie kicker....but assuredly gano looked shaky and the rook nailed his kick

If someone is going to be missing fg's for us I'd rather it be a rookie on a cheap 7th round deal rather than one of the highest paid kickers in the league.

6 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, I was really disappointed in Cash last night. He actually looked better as a rookie.

Archived