• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NBA Transfer

morjoy123

The Boston Celtics have acquired All-Star point guard Kyrie Irving from the Cleveland Cavaliers for point guard Isaiah Thomas, forward Jae Crowder, center Ante Zizic and Brooklyn's 2018 unprotected first-round pick, the team choose files. 

Looks like the men in green has the chance to make their way to the championship. I wonder what will happen to Cleveland now. 

bP's bREAKdOWN:

Short term = Cavs win:
The Cavs won't miss Kyrie's scoring ability because IT and Crowder almost avg 20pts more than Kyrie himself. I understand there will be adjustment numbers from swapping teams and playing with LBJ but not a 20pt drop off.

Irving - 25ppg, 6apg, 3 rpg
Thomas - 29ppg, 6 apg, 3rpg
Crowder - 14ppg, 2 apg, 6 rpg

Not to mention Crowder gives them another wing defender who is stout and can shoot the 3 ball very effectively = .398%.. Now, hiding IT's size on defense will be tougher than masking Kyrie's unwillingness to play defense. But then again, LBJ makes everyone around him better - offensively and defensively. The Cavs as a whole are better defensively than Boston ever was - if Thomas got blown by - Horford was not gunna be the rim protector. No one on Boston was a true rim protector. Thompson will be better - along with LBJ.

So in the short term, I think the Cavs won. And they could win it in the long term too, if that Brooklyn pick nets them a bonafide Allstar for years to come.

Long term = Celtics win (possibly):
I say possibly because 3 things need to happen for them to officially "win" the trade in my book, 1) LBJ leaves after next year; 2) Brooklyn pick (most likely in the top 3) turns out to be a flop/bust pick and the Cavs sink into the abyss. And 3) Kyrie has to resign with the Celtics after his current deal is up.
#1 is more than likely - #2 is a crap shoot (such is the NBA draft) - #3 I couldn't tell you right now.

But even if the Cavs hit on a great player - my money would be on the Celtics to be the #1 seed in the East for the next 4-5 years. Look - did the Celtics improve their team with this trade.. Obviously! They got the best player involved in the trade, hands down. And if Kyrie is smart and doesn't blow his mind when they lose to the Cavs in the ECF this year and stays level headed - no team in the league is setup Long-term like the Celtics are. Irving, Hayward, Horford, Brown, Tatum, M.Morris, Smart, Rozier all locked up for at least 2 more yrs, most of them for the next 3 yrs. That nucleus is crazy.

So at the end of the day - both teams won, but for the 2017 season - Cavs still better and still winners. We will have to wait and see how the rest plays out. Should be fun - Can't wait!!

Cavs gonna have to make a hard decision whether or not to max IT next year while the C's have 2 years minimum of Kyrie before having to make a decision. LBJ almost certainly leaving after this season regardless, so the Nets 1st round pick will help jumpstart their rebuild and Crowder remains a valuable trade piece for them as well.

Archived